Looks like USA wrestling approved rash guards and board shorts for high schoolers

One of the main reason kids dont want to practice wrestling (in Brazil, specially) is bc of this vest, they say it is like a old woman biquini. I think it would be nice to spread the sport even more.
There was some chat about UWW making a similar move in 2015 or so, but it doesn't seem to have come to anything.

I wanted to wrestle in middle school after we did it in PE for 6 weeks but all my friends called me gay because of the singlet. So I didn't try out.

<2><{boneytears}>

reading this now I'm wondering why did they ever have the singlet in the first place?

But what about the ancient tradition of lycra one-piece suits, does nobody care about tradition?

Wrestling didn't exist before stretchy synthetic unitards.

If it helps grow the sport then I don't care. My youngest is 11 and has been wrestling since he was 5. A singlet to him is just another sports uniform. Wrestling is a hard sport and I'm not sure that going with the new uniform Is going to bring more kids in but I could be wrong. I don't see how it hurts anything though so might as well open up the options.

If it helps grow the sport then I don't care. My youngest is 11 and has been wrestling since he was 5. A singlet to him is just another sports uniform. Wrestling is a hard sport and I'm not sure that going with the new uniform Is going to bring more kids in but I could be wrong. I don't see how it hurts anything though so might as well open up the options.
This argument always comes from people already well entrenched in the wrestling world and lifestyle. It's sometimes really hard for people already into it (and I didn't understand till I got outside my high school program) to get perspective on what it's like for the non elite schools without full rosters and bustling youth programs that um.. ahem "acquire" talent.

And most importantly... What does not wanting to wear a singlet (which looks like gymnastics/ballet tutu to the uninformed) have anything to do with whether or not the sport is too "hard" or "tough" for someone or if they'll be "tough" enough to do it.. at all

Whether it's for the middle school program or a fledgling youth program either in a school, region, or state where the sport isn't popular, and often where it is already. Convincing, a kid or more importantly the parent who doesn't know jack squat about the sport, and what they have heard is almost always negative.. injuries, concussions, psycho/stupid training, cauliflower ear, skin disease and the big monkey.. cutting weight. And on top of that add in that the type of kid who would benefit the most from wrestling, whether due to being overweight, insecure, no discipline or positive male role models etc. who is tough enough if he's brought along correctly is the most likely to be put off by the singlet

On top of that numbers are down everywhere in Tennessee it's below cross country
If people don't want wrestling to become just a club sport for entitled brats with psycho rich parents living through their kids providing all of the funding. they need to start realizing what the reality of the situation is

Football is hard as well. I'm not here to compare what sport is the hardest but the perception of wrestling needs to improve. I live in Texas and wrestling here isn't very big. I think this is a step in the right direction.

Getting rid of a uniform that sucks so hard nobody trains in it in practice seems to be a great move..

But what about the ancient tradition of lycra one-piece suits, does nobody care about tradition?

Wrestling didn't exist before stretchy synthetic unitards.

Well, there's always the even more ancient tradition of wearing nothing at all...

This argument always comes from people already well entrenched in the wrestling world and lifestyle. It's sometimes really hard for people already into it (and I didn't understand till I got outside my high school program) to get perspective on what it's like for the non elite schools without full rosters and bustling youth programs that um.. ahem "acquire" talent.

And most importantly... What does not wanting to wear a singlet (which looks like gymnastics/ballet tutu to the uninformed) have anything to do with whether or not the sport is too "hard" or "tough" for someone or if they'll be "tough" enough to do it.. at all

Whether it's for the middle school program or a fledgling youth program either in a school, region, or state where the sport isn't popular, and often where it is already. Convincing, a kid or more importantly the parent who doesn't know jack squat about the sport, and what they have heard is almost always negative.. injuries, concussions, psycho/stupid training, cauliflower ear, skin disease and the big monkey.. cutting weight. And on top of that add in that the type of kid who would benefit the most from wrestling, whether due to being overweight, insecure, no discipline or positive male role models etc. who is tough enough if he's brought along correctly is the most likely to be put off by the singlet

On top of that numbers are down everywhere in Tennessee it's below cross country
If people don't want wrestling to become just a club sport for entitled brats with psycho rich parents living through their kids providing all of the funding. they need to start realizing what the reality of the situation is

Good post. CC is huge here (I am also in Tennessee). My kid runs in elementary school and I bet they averaged 400 boys and another 400 girls at each CC meet last year.

Good post. CC is huge here (I am also in Tennessee). My kid runs in elementary school and I bet they averaged 400 boys and another 400 girls at each CC meet last year.
What part of Tennessee? And yeah considering where wrestling used to be even 10 years ago in the state it's gotten really bad. But honestly the South won't get better if coaches/schools that may or may not be located in Cleveland TN among others need to realize that ahem "acquiring" kids from the schools around them prevent those other programs from building and contributes to the overall decline. The same goes for schools like Archer and Camden County in Georgia

I understand exactly what you are saying. That's why my opinion is I don't really care what they wear. My boys wear vale Tudo shorts, fight shorts, compression gear etc at bjj tournaments. Singlet at wrestling tournaments. It's just been "this is what to wear". If that changes then so be it. People will adjust. Some kids may start wrestling due to the changes but I honestly think that many youngsters use the singlet as the reason they don't wrestle....but the deep down truth is that it's a damn grueling sport. Practice is hard. When you lose you are out there alone. You don't share the blame with a teammate. But don't get me wrong....I honestly hope that this does bring in new kids. Anyhow, it's relax time. Have to be up early in the morning. My youngest has Mawa eastern nationals tomorrow. Shall see how it goes tomorrow.

Football is hard as well. I'm not here to compare what sport is the hardest but the perception of wrestling needs to improve. I live in Texas and wrestling here isn't very big. I think this is a step in the right direction.
Football is great man. This year will be my youngest boys 7th year. According to him wrestling is the most grueling of the sports that he plays(wrestling, football,baseball, bjj). But I'm sure it may be a different answer coming from a different kid.

Back