Looks like USA wrestling approved rash guards and board shorts for high schoolers

Dogstarman

Old man jiu jitsu
@Silver
Reaction score
Last edited:
It will I know over 10 kids with parents that didn't let their kid wrestle because of the singlet or the kids were adolescents who were insecure about their body but would have tried if they didn't have wear a singlet
I know some wrestling purists will hate it but it also looks like an mma outfit. I think that will attract some kids as well.

The funny thing is rashguards/tights were actually part of the original uniforms in the first place; they only changed it to metro spandex in the 60s/70s for whatever reason.

You know the classic 'Superhero' outfit, like batman or superman? Those were based on the old wrestling uniforms.

I know some wrestling purists will hate it but it also looks like an mma outfit. I think that will attract some kids as well.
It still doesn't address the real problem until they go to board shorts.. the bulge

It still doesn't address the real problem until they go to board shorts.. the bulge
Yeah. With no gi and mma stuff in abundance I wouldn't see how any of that should be a problem.

What are some of their reasons for that?

kids are weird man. my entire middle school basketball team showered in swim trunks because we were too insecure someone might make fun of our little peckers. i think the singlet probably scares off far more kids than you'd think. the kids who weren't weirded out started when they were real young too. imagine being a 7th grader and having to face some kid who's been wrestling since they were 5 overpowering you into all sorts of weird positions in front of a room full of everyone you've ever known, while they can totally see your dong. that just screams 'future therapy bills.'

kids are weird man. my entire middle school basketball team showered in swim trunks because we were too insecure someone might make fun of our little peckers. i think the singlet probably scares off far more kids than you'd think. the kids who weren't weirded out started when they were real young too. imagine being a 7th grader and having to face some kid who's been wrestling since they were 5 overpowering you into all sorts of weird positions in front of a room full of everyone you've ever known, while they can totally see your dong. that just screams 'future therapy bills.'
Yeah yeah, well understood, I was asking about why parents would forbid kids due to the singlet.

I applaud this decision, honestly I never felt comfortable in my singlet.

We're talking youth middle and high school Children and suburban parents
What's the point of this? That they won't want to wear shorts and a rash guard and would rather wear a singlet?

What's the point of this? That they won't want to wear shorts and a rash guard and would rather wear a singlet?
I'm saying that for these people the hanguls of the singlet or the bulge from compressions is a much bigger deal than people outside of grappling tgink

Im 24 years old and graduated high school 7 years ago. This was the only reason why I didnt even try wrestling. (As a kid ive tried out a bunch of sports) Not to mention that I loved to play wrestle my friends growing up.

One of my biggest regrets too.

Aren't regular grappling shorts now permitted? (not only gay/female vale tudo style ones).
The flowrestling uniform on the picture looks good.

Last edited:
Good idea imo, I always thought the singlet looked ridiculous.

One of the main reason kids dont want to practice wrestling (in Brazil, specially) is bc of this vest, they say it is like a old woman biquini. I think it would be nice to spread the sport even more.

tumblr_mxybz50mo41srf28mo1_1280.jpg

Back