Looking to trim fat

markulous

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Okay figured I'd start one of these to keep track of. I'm pretty broke at the moment so I gotta cycle out some of my food before I can eat ideally(I'm probably going to cut out the milk and cereal in the morning with porridge or oatmeal). There's a few things I want to switch up but I'm not going to waste any food. I'm still going to watch my caloric intake though.

Height: 6'3.5"
Weight: 231
Goal Weight: 210(maybe a hair less depending how I feel at that weight. I know 180 is too low though)
Build: Average
BMR: 3000(based on going to the gym 4 days a week for at least an hour)

Only drinking water.

Take daily multi along with vitamin C supplements.

03-12-10

Breakfast 8:30am
2 Servings of Honey Nut Cheerios with 1% milk: 300 Cal. 12g Pro

Snack 12:00pm
Granola Bar: 150 Cal. 4g Pro

Lunch 1:45pm
Healthy Choice Steamer(Chicken and various vegetables in garlic sauce): 270 Cal. 20g Pro
1/2 Serving of Sun Chips: 70 Cal. 2g Pro

Snack 4:20pm
Cashews: 160 Cal. 4g Pro
Mixed fruit: 70 Cal. 0g Pro

Dinner 6:30pm
Garden Salad w/ Italian dressing 125 Cal. 6g Pro
Can of Tuna 180 Cal. 24g Pro
Low fat yogurt 100 Cal. 5g Pro

Snack 7:30pm
Assorted raw veggies: 50 Cal. 1g Pro.

Calories Consumed: 1475
Protein Consumed: 78g

Other than the obvious not eating Honey Nut Cheerios and a granola bar, I need to add a little more protein. Probably at least a 100g.

03-13-10

Weight: 230

Breakfast 8:20am

Snack 11:20am
Raw Almonds: 170 Cal. 7 Pro
Mixed Fruit: 70 Cal. 0 Pro

Lunch 1:20pm

Snack 3:40pm
Jerked Turkey: 240 Cal. 30g Pro

Dinner 6:30pm
3 Eggs: 240 Cal. 20g Pro
Assorted veggies: 70 Cal. 2g Pro
Yogurt: 100 Cal. 5g Pro

Snack 8:30pm
Assorted Fruit: 60 Cal. 0g Pro

Calories Consumed: 1555
Protein Consumed: 106g

Halfway decent amount of protein today, but that's only because of that jerked turkey. I may have to eat another can of tuna each day.

03-14-10

Weight: 229

Breakfast 8:45am

Snack 10:30pm/12:20pm
Almonds 200 Cal. 9g Pro
Peaches: 70 Cal. 1g Pro

Lunch 2:00pm
Yogurt: 100 Cal. 5g Pro

Snack 4:30pm
Almonds 200 Cal. 9g Pro

Dinner 7:00pm
Chicken 150 Cal. 35g Pro
Veggies 60 Cal. 2g Pro
Yogurt 100 Cal. 6g Pro

Snack
Shaved chicken breast: 150 Cal. 30g Pro

Consumed Calories: 1635
Consumed Protein: 139g Pro

Last edited:
Where is your source of protein? It seems like your consuming only carbs. You need to add some lean proteins(eggs, turkey, chicken) and cut some of those carbs. Your carbs should come from whole grains such as oatmeal and brown rice.

Look at some of the posters in the diet log -- honey nut cheerios is silly for a weight loss plan where you also have a granola bar as your next meal. Read the faqs and some of the diet logs. Good luck.

Where is your source of protein? It seems like your consuming only carbs. You need to add some lean proteins(eggs, turkey, chicken) and cut some of those carbs. Your carbs should come from whole grains such as oatmeal and brown rice.

Well I've had milk for breakfast and chicken for lunch. And there was a little in the cashews. I'll probably have some tuna for dinner along with a garden salad.

Like I said though, I'm going to get some oatmeal after I'm done with my cereal because I'm not going to waste food.

I'm not too worried about carbs since I'm generally running 3 miles a day and doing a light weight training at the gym.

Look at some of the posters in the diet log -- honey nut cheerios is silly for a weight loss plan where you also have a granola bar as your next meal. Read the faqs and some of the diet logs. Good luck.

Again...this food isn't ideal. I'm broke. Once it runs out within a week, I'm getting better food. I just decided to put up my log today for my own sake so I can count calories easier. I got most of this food for free.

I've been reading the diet logs and FAQs the past week. Within a week or two, when most of this food runs out I'm going to stop eating cereal and milk and replace it with oatmeal/porridge and fruit. And I only have 2 more granola bars left, likely I will replace that with fruit and raw almonds.

And silly or not, the Cheerios aren't terrible for you. While I wouldn't call them healthy, they have a little Fiber and don't have a terrible amount of a sugar.

And in the past 2 months I've lost 9 lbs. by exercising regularly and creating a caloric deficit so I know I'm doing something right. Although, there is a lot of room for improvement obviously.

Again...this food isn't ideal. I'm broke. Once it runs out within a week, I'm getting better food. I just decided to put up my log today for my own sake so I can count calories easier. I got most of this food for free.

I've been reading the diet logs and FAQs the past week. Within a week or two, when most of this food runs out I'm going to stop eating cereal and milk and replace it with oatmeal/porridge and fruit. And I only have 2 more granola bars left, likely I will replace that with fruit and raw almonds.

And silly or not, the Cheerios aren't terrible for you. While I wouldn't call them healthy, they have a little Fiber and don't have a terrible amount of a sugar.

And in the past 2 months I've lost 9 lbs. by exercising regularly and creating a caloric deficit so I know I'm doing something right. Although, there is a lot of room for improvement obviously.

Sorry to hear money's an issue. But 9 lbs. in 2 months, as long as it's sustainable, isn't bad. I'll lose like 15 lbs a month and then gain it right back (we're similar in size). It doesn't seem like you're having a problem losing weight, so I'd so go with what works. Dieting always seems to be different for everyone, so as long as you're sustaining it, keep it up. My biggest tip is just to drink a shitload of water so you don't think you're hungry.

Sorry to hear money's an issue. But 9 lbs. in 2 months, as long as it's sustainable, isn't bad. I'll lose like 15 lbs a month and then gain it right back (we're similar in size). It doesn't seem like you're having a problem losing weight, so I'd so go with what works. Dieting always seems to be different for everyone, so as long as you're sustaining it, keep it up. My biggest tip is just to drink a shitload of water so you don't think you're hungry.

Hopefully I should have a steady job again soon where money won't be as tight then I can eat a bit better.

My body generally won't gain back weight very easily. I won't binge or anything either. The main reason I have lost that weight was from cutting out fast food.

I haven't touched a soda in years. Until about 3 months ago I was drinking about 6-12 beers a month, but I've cut that out(maybe one beer a month from now on). As you said drinking a ton of water really helps.

take vpx redline capsules for 17.50 off of amazon

helps me shed weight for the summer every year, it's the best out there bar none

Listen, I can understand if money is tight -- I'm not trying to shit on you (my diet isnt perfect). But, what I'm seeing, if I read between the lines, is that you have lost a decent amount of weight by eating highly processed foods like cheerios and granola bars -- that sounds like a recipe for skinny fat. I have no idea what type of training you do (if any) but you need to consider the quality of the calories you consume. I will acknowledge that if you simply want to lose weight you can likely do it on 3 bowls of cheerios a day but it comes at a cost.

Listen, I can understand if money is tight -- I'm not trying to shit on you (my diet isnt perfect). But, what I'm seeing, if I read between the lines, is that you have lost a decent amount of weight by eating highly processed foods like cheerios and granola bars -- that sounds like a recipe for skinny fat. I have no idea what type of training you do (if any) but you need to consider the quality of the calories you consume. I will acknowledge that if you simply want to lose weight you can likely do it on 3 bowls of cheerios a day but it comes at a cost.

Yeah I know what you're saying. By next week I'll have consumed both the cheerios and granola bars and hopefully then I have enough money to go to the store to grab some healthy stuff that I want.

I'll lift some weights at the gym to try and maintain a little muscle but I'm not putting on any muscle or anything. I don't do any MMA or any competing. I'm just doing this to lower my body fat %. If by chance I do lose a little muscle, I'm okay with that.

I know it looks bad posting this and right out the bat I'm eating a mediocre breakfast and snack right before I go to the gym. I was just bored and wanted to get an accurate count of calories instead of counting them in my head. I really am going to change that by next week.

Hopefully I should have a steady job again soon where money won't be as tight then I can eat a bit better.

My body generally won't gain back weight very easily. I won't binge or anything either. The main reason I have lost that weight was from cutting out fast food.

I haven't touched a soda in years. Until about 3 months ago I was drinking about 6-12 beers a month, but I've cut that out(maybe one beer a month from now on). As you said drinking a ton of water really helps.

Unfortunately (for some) cutting alcohol out is a biggie. I recently ran like 3-4 miles a day in addition to lifting for like a 2 hour workout and I'd lose like 5-8 lbs a week and then just blow it on a weekend by housing beer and grub on my cheat day. Good luck, mang.

Yeah I know what you're saying. By next week I'll have consumed both the cheerios and granola bars and hopefully then I have enough money to go to the store to grab some healthy stuff that I want.

I'll lift some weights at the gym to try and maintain a little muscle but I'm not putting on any muscle or anything. I don't do any MMA or any competing. I'm just doing this to lower my body fat %. If by chance I do lose a little muscle, I'm okay with that.

I know it looks bad posting this and right out the bat I'm eating a mediocre breakfast and snack right before I go to the gym. I was just bored and wanted to get an accurate count of calories instead of counting them in my head. I really am going to change that by next week.
You will have an easier time losing fat if you incorporate weights and cardio. Take the weekend to read the S&P and Conditioning FAQs -- good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions after you do your homework.

You will have an easier time losing fat if you incorporate weights and cardio. Take the weekend to read the S&P and Conditioning FAQs -- good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions after you do your homework.

Generally, I always try and do both cardio and weights. As you said it's been helpful.

Thanks man. I have skimmed over the FAQs a little(really good info BTW) but as you said I need to really read them more.

Sweet. Found out I'm getting some money soon so I went to the store. As soon as the milk is killed, I've got my breakfast plan lined up with:

2 servings oatmeal
Blueberries
topped with some almonds
I wanted to add flaxseed but I didn't see any at Safeway.

Then for my snack I'm out of granola bars so I'll switch to almonds and eggs. I bought a bunch of frozen veggies and some boneless skinless chicken to make a bunch of stirfry.

Last edited:
Sweet. Found out I'm getting some money soon so I went to the store. As soon as the milk is killed, I've got my breakfast plan lined up with:

2 servings oatmeal
Blueberries
topped with some almonds

Then for my snack I'm out of granola bars so I'll switch to almonds and eggs. I bought a bunch of frozen veggies and some boneless skinless chicken to make a bunch of stirfry.
sounds much better

2 servings oatmeal
Blueberries
topped with some almonds

Now we are getting somewhere! :D

Okay. I'm officially eating good today. I'm not sure if there's ever been a day in my life I can say I ate really healthy...

03-15-10

Weight: 230

Breakfast 9:15am
Oatmeal w/ Blueberries & Almonds: 420 Cal. 15g Pro.

Snack/Brunch 11:45am
Peaches 100 Cal. 0g Pro

Lunch 1:55pm
Peaches 100 Cal. 0g Pro

Snack 4:25pm
Almonds 170 Cal. 8g Pro
2 Fig Newtons 180 Cal. 6g Pro

2 Tilapia Fillets 180 Cal. 42g Pro
Veggies 35 Cal. 1g Pro.
Peaches 100 Cal. 0g Pro

Snack 9:00pm
Yogurt 90 Cal. 6g Pro

Calories Consumed: 1920
Protein Consumed: 128g

03-16-10

Weight: 228

Breakfast 8:50am

Snack 11:00pm
Almonds 200 Cal. 9g Pro
Peaches: 70 Cal. 1g Pro

Lunch 1:55pm
Garden Salad w/ Italian dressing 110 Cal. 6g Pro
Sun Chips: 140 Cal. 4g Pro

Snack 4:45pm
Lean Cuisine Chicken Veggie 200 Cal. 17g Pro

Chicken 200 Cal. 40g Pro
Assorted veggies: 70 Cal. 2g Pro
Peaches 100 Cal. 2g Pro

Consumed Calories: 1690
Consumed Protein: 120

03-17-10

Snack
11:00
Almonds 200 Cal. 9g Pro

Lunch 1:00pm
Salad w/ Light dressing 50 Cal. 3g Pro
Tuna 100 Cal. 22g Pro

Snack 3:00

Dinner
Lean Cuisine Chicken w/ brown rice and veggies: 300 Cal. 20g Pro
Sun Chips: 140 Cal 4g Pro

Consumed Cal: 1450
Consumed Pro: 93g
I didn't work out today and I wasn't extremely hungry. And by dinner time I got a little lazy and I didn't want to cook.

03-18-10

Last edited:
Down to 226. After doing this for a while it's now pretty easy to count calories in my head. I've got some flax seed finally, so now every morning my breakfast consists of: 2 servings of oatmeal, frozen fruit(generally blueberries), almonds, and flax seed.

I cut out the canned fruit and eat only frozen or fresh fruit. At least a few servings a day. I'll eat a lean cuisine every couple of days because I get lazy at times. As well I'll eat some rice cakes now and then. But that's about the worst part of my diet.

Rice cakes? Why would you ever put one of those in your mouth?

Rice cakes? Why would you ever put one of those in your mouth?

I get those ranch flavored ones. I was eating a lot of chips before my diet so whenever I feel the need to eat some chips I just eat some rice cakes since they have a lot less calories. I think they taste alright.

Back