Looking for help on choosing velcro sparring gloves (boxing)

wolffanghameha

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm getting back into boxing after a couple of years off with a leg injury/focusing on judo. Previously, I used some cheapo Lonsdale gloves for about £30, which were crap. I have thin wrists for a guy and supposedly good power for my weight (155lbs), so I definitely want something that doesn't have too much give in the wrist, just to be safe. My hands are slightly on the small side (used to wear medium latex gloves in an old job, a lot of guys wear large). I plan on sparring 2 days a week. My priority is to develop my boxing skills. Budget is 150USD or £120 (ideally lower is better, just so I can save up for bag gloves quicker).

For sparring gloves, I narrowed it down to Raja RBGV1, Decha and Cassanova hybrid gloves. I considered Boons and Sabas Supersoft, but Boons seem too pillowy/not sleek in comparison videos and Sabas seem to have exclusively negative reviews lately.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Cassanova (are they okay to use consistently or are they too rough on the hands for that?) or has a recommendation for other gloves with good wrist padding and hand protection that don't have too big a profile. Not interested in anything synthetic.

For bag gloves I was thinking of getting Fairtex BGV9, since supposedly they're good on the wrist (longer cuff than most Fairtex), form a good fist and give nice feedback (which I definitely prefer on the heavy bag). I don't know if Fairtex do a similar good glove for boxing sparring. Maybe the BGV6 or BGV4?

Appreciate any help.

It would be unwise not to focus on your wrist strength if you punch hard; ideally, your wrist strength should be proportionate to your punching power. Otherwise, you will eventually hurt yourself—especially if you focus solely on the punch 'power' while using gloves that let you get away with weak wrists.

Knuckle push ups; wrist push ups; bag mitts until you can punch full power without needing wrist support. That would be the smart thing to do...

But of course this is all unsolicited advice. So ignore at will.

Yeh I'll definitely do some regular wrist strengthening work. Never thought about using bag mitts for that, so thanks for that, I'll make a note.

Fairtex BGV6 have pretty good wrist support. My question is how hard are you going in sparring? I pretty much just tap my partners and throw the occasional 80% power shot

my friend uses BGV6 I assume you are in the UK and you can order some from Thailand direct for sub £70 all in.....if not look for a pair of Cletro Reyes that's what I have been using u should be able to get a set on ebay that's pretty much brand new ie used once or twice for sub £120

hi,
i'm in the same situation than you, except that I want gloves which i can spare and bagwork with.

I'm from France and boxing here is comical compared to united states, i've seen like 3/4 boxing clubs here but i've never seen of my life an heavy bag, it's usually 3 or 5 normal bags in a small and bad lighted room with 30 people inside.
Even the best boxers with 10 years of boxing have only one pair or gloves, first price trash adidas or everlast gloves, 10oz or 12oz MAX so when you spare it's more like breaking each other face.
It's like that but we love boxing so it's everything we need.

Personally I want to invest for a better pair or gloves to spare and bagwork, more economic than putting 40 or 50 dollars in a trash pair every year.
The problem is in France we have NOTHING with a good value. We have trash adidas and everlast, or very few retailers selling 230 dollars Cleto Reyes.
There is nothing in the middle price, no sabas, no title, no revgear, no ringside... the middle price gloves are for muay-thai or kick-boxing, much more widespread and appreciated here than boxing. (brands like venum or fairtex, i've tried but poor use for boxing in my opinion)

The only gloves that we have here and that can do the job are the Twins Special, some guys have them but i don't really like.

So after many hours of internet research, i think i've found some interesting gloves that you didn't mention and that can be pretty good for me and your sparring goal.

The ring to cage C-17 gloves seems to have almost unanimously good opinions. I consider buying it 12 Oz for both usage (i'm 150lbs with tiny wrist and hand, poor power for my weight, and they have a bulky reputation so i don't think i can hurt anyone in sparring with 12Oz) but maybe 16 Oz would be great for you if you have good power and sparring use only like you said.

There is also the Hayabusa T3, Rival Rs11v (one retailer in France selling it 230 dollars, double of the normal price, too much for me) or the twins special that you can try.

I wanted so much sabas gloves but recent reviews made me avoid them, like you....

I'm very much into the C-17 right now, i let you check reviews one the internet and maybe get hyped too,

see you

I've heard good things about Top Boxer's velcro gloves (have a set incoming to try myself here soon)

From PERSONAL experience I know it's not on your list and their gloves are "Muay Thai" gloves though I still, even after almost 7 years on and off training can't tell the goddamn difference between them and the boxing sparring gloves a pro boxer friend of mine has... Top King wrist support is stellar too. I have a pair of their plain Jane 16 ounce sparring gloves and the glove won't let you even FORCE it to do the "purse hook" thing

i have a bunch of pairs of compression pants for mma that i wear to train and i do own one pair of compression shorts with a cup insert and a groin cup but i dont have a cup insert on any of the compression pants, i want to know if anyone knows a good solution because i have heard a jockstrap is really uncomfortable it seems like theres only two options either wear a jockstrap under my compression pants or wear my compression shorts that already have a insert for the cup underneath my compression pants but i feel like that might look wierd please any suggestions would be really helpful and also if you wear a jockstrap do you wear boers underneath beause id imagine it will irritate the skin alot all i ever wear is compression shorts with a cup

hi,
i'm in the same situation than you, except that I want gloves which i can spare and bagwork with.

I'm from France and boxing here is comical compared to united states, i've seen like 3/4 boxing clubs here but i've never seen of my life an heavy bag, it's usually 3 or 5 normal bags in a small and bad lighted room with 30 people inside.
Even the best boxers with 10 years of boxing have only one pair or gloves, first price trash adidas or everlast gloves, 10oz or 12oz MAX so when you spare it's more like breaking each other face.
It's like that but we love boxing so it's everything we need.

Personally I want to invest for a better pair or gloves to spare and bagwork, more economic than putting 40 or 50 dollars in a trash pair every year.
The problem is in France we have NOTHING with a good value. We have trash adidas and everlast, or very few retailers selling 230 dollars Cleto Reyes.
There is nothing in the middle price, no sabas, no title, no revgear, no ringside... the middle price gloves are for muay-thai or kick-boxing, much more widespread and appreciated here than boxing. (brands like venum or fairtex, i've tried but poor use for boxing in my opinion)

The only gloves that we have here and that can do the job are the Twins Special, some guys have them but i don't really like.

So after many hours of internet research, i think i've found some interesting gloves that you didn't mention and that can be pretty good for me and your sparring goal.

The ring to cage C-17 gloves seems to have almost unanimously good opinions. I consider buying it 12 Oz for both usage (i'm 150lbs with tiny wrist and hand, poor power for my weight, and they have a bulky reputation so i don't think i can hurt anyone in sparring with 12Oz) but maybe 16 Oz would be great for you if you have good power and sparring use only like you said.

There is also the Hayabusa T3, Rival Rs11v (one retailer in France selling it 230 dollars, double of the normal price, too much for me) or the twins special that you can try.

I wanted so much sabas gloves but recent reviews made me avoid them, like you....

I'm very much into the C-17 right now, i let you check reviews one the internet and maybe get hyped too,

see you

The fairtex bgv9 are boxing gloves not Thai boxinng gloves are prefect shape and have a grip far they call them Mexican style you could order direct from Thailand

Yeah after some research i think i was unfair with thaï brands, in fact it seems that they can do the job very well.
Fairtex gloves are amazing especially this fairtex bgv9, so bad it's for bagwork only.
I think i will go try some fairtex gloves, the only boxing shop in Paris have some bgv1, bgv2, bgv6, bgv14 and bgv16.
Unfortunatly gregolian, they have not the top king you were talking about...

Thank's for the replies guys.

I am breaking in a pair of yokkao matrix in 14oz right now. Snug fit, excellent padding and excellent wrist support. It’s like the between of twins special bgv3 and Fairtex bgv1’s. I really like them.

Casanova gloves has such a hard padding that you should not spar with those gloves but they will give you a good feeling of hitting the bag. Also, the difference between Raja gloves, which are Muay Thai gloves, and boxing gloves is the wrist support. Muay Thai ones are not good choices if you want good wrist support.

You can consider using Sabas series, Rival RS series, Topboxer, which I have, and etc..

Topboxer provides super good wrist support and protection for the knuckles. I am pretty sure that my wrists are just like you but when I wear my gloves, they hold my wrists tight. I havent sprained the wrists so far.

Rival has a good reputation for the wrist support. If you search for its gloves, you will see RB and RS. RB is for sandbag and mitt training and RS is for sparring.

RB and RS work well on their purposes.

Rival has their own wrist locking system, which satisfies many people.

Dont choose Muay Thai gloves or you will hurt your wrist more than before

Last edited:
Fairtex BGV6 are the sparring equivalent of the BGV9 with minor shape difference

I brought a pair of Paffen Sport Pro Spar gloves on black Friday. They arrived yesterday I have not used them yet but tried them on. The workmanship seems very good and I like the shape of them, the velco strap is fairly unusual but does seem to offer fairly decent wrist support (it would seem) obviously not as good as lace ups. They also weigh pretty much spot on (16.2oz). Overall I am pretty impressed especially for the price and I am looking forward to trying them maybe next week or week after

https://www.paffen-sport.com/en/box...rformance-boxhandschuhe-fur-das-sparring.html

I brought a pair of Paffen Sport Pro Spar gloves on black Friday. They arrived yesterday I have not used them yet but tried them on. The workmanship seems very good and I like the shape of them, the velco strap is fairly unusual but does seem to offer fairly decent wrist support (it would seem) obviously not as good as lace ups. They also weigh pretty much spot on (16.2oz). Overall I am pretty impressed especially for the price and I am looking forward to trying them maybe next week or week after

https://www.paffen-sport.com/en/box...rformance-boxhandschuhe-fur-das-sparring.html
Any pictures? The velctro strap from the stock images looks a lot like the same as on a pair of Lonsdale Ultimate Pro Fight Training Gloves I have

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back