Looking for an RPG

Elex. It's an old school 3rd person RPG (with the choice of over the shoulder cam like in Skyrim) with tons of customization, factions with story arcs, along with crafting, weapon mods, alchemy, mining, magic etc and a jet pack right from the start to make it easy to move around (cuz you can just fly over mountains and buildings instead of having to run around them, and avoid the longest falls).

It's similar to the Risen series, where you slowly become bigger & better in your community (also made by Piranha Bytes), and comes closest to a real RPG of the current choices on the market.

Highly based on stats, meaning it's difficult in the beginning, but also means there's no need to google. Clunky combat is a given, and the graphics are just OK for current games.

Lol that is exactly the type I'm trying to avoid. I was hoping for suggestions more like Dragon's Dogma or the Witcher series. I trying to find fun action combat with decent RPG elements. Turns out, it's not that easy to find both in one game.

The answer is Nioh.

Lol I love how all the responses didn't even read the post and brought up turn based games. Play Horizon Zero Dawn.

Lol I love how all the responses didn't even read the post and brought up turn based games. Play Horizon Zero Dawn.
Yes... I thought that was entertaining, too
His post also said he's looking for games on PC... ;)
tenor.gif

Elex just came out, it might be worth a look. I haven't played it yet, but it's in my list of games to get to. The graphics and gameplay are nothing special and reviews are mixed, but the people that do like it say it scratches the right itch.

I'm an RPG guy, I'm looking forward to playing it. Just have to get through Nioh, Xenoblade 2, Ni No Kuni 2, and Monster Hunter Worlds first.

Elex. It's an old school 3rd person RPG (with the choice of over the shoulder cam like in Skyrim) with tons of customization, factions with story arcs, along with crafting, weapon mods, alchemy, mining, magic etc and a jet pack right from the start to make it easy to move around (cuz you can just fly over mountains and buildings instead of having to run around them, and avoid the longest falls).

It's similar to the Risen series, where you slowly become bigger & better in your community (also made by Piranha Bytes), and comes closest to a real RPG of the current choices on the market.

Highly based on stats, meaning it's difficult in the beginning, but also means there's no need to google. Clunky combat is a given, and the graphics are just OK for current games.

I've played Elex for like 4 hours now. I love it so far.

Changing the targeting setting in options and understanding the timing/combo mechanic has made the combat feel fine to me. I haven't had the issues with it being clunky that many people were saying in the early reviews. Using the target lock mechanic also helps make it more fluid and less running back and forth hitting your target like in an elder scrolls game.

I definitely recommend it.

I've played Elex for like 4 hours now. I love it so far.

Changing the targeting setting in options and understanding the timing/combo mechanic has made the combat feel fine to me. I haven't had the issues with it being clunky that many people were saying in the early reviews. Using the target lock mechanic also helps make it more fluid and less running back and forth hitting your target like in an elder scrolls game.

I definitely recommend it.

It's more about dealing with some beasts jumping on you relentlessly with quick attacks one after another which do a lot of damage, and avoiding lasers from Albs. Since rolling drains stamina I found you got to choose your stats well to be able to use better weapons, like rifles and 2-handed to either snipe the baddies (higher level skulled ones appear kinda randomly) or do dam on them before they go into spam mode.

If you don't it's kinda tough to explore the north. You run out of quests in Edan/Abessa and have to avoid fights when you go north....and exploration is a big part of the fun in Elex, along with going down the rabbit hole in quests since your choices affect like 90% of them.

Check out Seven: The Days Long Gone
http://www.pcgamer.com/seven-days-long-gone-review/

PC Gamer gave it an 8.1, but I just just IGN's and their lazy 4 min style reviews, who gave it a 4 lol. It's funny because two of their staff were gushing over it last year (Video below). I can never understand how a site can be so inconsistent like they are, they're incredibly unprofessional. The reviewer, who has no perception beyond his skin, says you're dropped into a world blind, as though you're a purposeless in a shallow setting. It's absolutely ridiculous because the guys in the preview (again below) only played for a short time and raved, like I did, about how great the world building is.

I picked it up last night, I really like it. It's a great first effort for sure, very unique game. Apparently it has some former Witcher devs, but this is no Witcher, nor is Baldur's gate meets Witcher as the clowns below state. It's a fun action RPG, with a blend of mechanics, though it is top down. I like Isometric games, especially when I have full control over the camera.

As someone else said, Elex is great, excellent really and probably more up your alley. These are the guys who made the Gothic series, top notch roleplaying.

Here's a great review for it

Last edited:
Check out Seven: The Days Long Gone
http://www.pcgamer.com/seven-days-long-gone-review/

PC Gamer gave it an 8.1, but I just just IGN's and their lazy 4 min style reviews, who gave it a 4 lol. It's funny because two of their staff were gushing over it last year (Video below). I can never understand how a site can be so inconsistent like they are, they're incredibly unprofessional. The reviewer, who has no perception beyond his skin, says you're dropped into a world blind, as though you're a purposeless in a shallow setting. It's absolutely ridiculous because the guys in the preview (again below) only played for a short time and raved, like I did, about how great the world building is.

I picked it up last night, I really like it. It's a great first effort for sure, very unique game. Apparently it has some former Witcher devs, but this is no Witcher, nor is Baldur's gate meets Witcher as the clowns below state. It's a fun action RPG, with a blend of mechanics, though it is top down. I like Isometric games, especially when I have full control over the camera.

As someone else said, Elex is great, excellent really and probably more up your alley. These are the guys who made the Gothic series, top notch roleplaying.

Here's a great review for it

Seven looks pretty fun.

I started playing Elex yesterday. It's a blast so far.

I'm trying to find an RPG along the lines of Dragon's Dogma, the Witcher series, or the Elder Scrolls games on PC. I'd also be ok with traditional action RPGs in the style of Diablo, Titan Quest/Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, etc.

I know people will recommend Souls games. I've played them for a few hours. I enjoy the combat but the lack of tooltips and direction isn't for me. It makes it very tedious imo and I find myself spending way more time googling things than I'd like.

I enjoy classic RPGs with turn based or tactical pause combat, but right now I want to have more engaging real time combat to enjoy smashing some bad guys. Dragon Age/Mass Effect style combat is about as slow paced and disconnected as I'd like to go.

I think Wolcen Lords of Mayhem looks really good, but I'm tired of playing unfinished early access games do I'm going to wait for a while on it.

Please, give me your suggestions.

It boggles my mind how people can call Dark Souls an RPG.

personally im just waiting it out for Far Cry 5, i think its gonna be the big one as far as RPG for PC's are concerned

Back