Looking at boxrec's top 100 all time

No matter the metric, having Floyd in the top 10, much less the first spot, is absurd.
Who else in history has 26 straight wins in world title fights? 26 straight for a major belt won or defensed, and 19 years as a world champion? Who? Name him/them...

No matter your personal feelings, that metric is a motherfucker.

Who else in history has 26 straight wins in world title fights? 26 straight for a major belt won or defensed, and 19 years as a world champion? Who? Name him/them...

No matter your personal feelings, that metric is a motherfucker.

How many of those fights were, how shall we say, expertly chosen by Floyd? How many guys did he simply wait out until they were burnt out in order to fight them? How many top contenders and prime champions did he duck?

I like it. Floyd is the GOAT IMO

How many of those fights were, how shall we say, expertly chosen by Floyd? How many guys did he simply wait out until they were burnt out in order to fight them? How many top contenders and prime champions did he duck?
OK, please tell us... Are you talking emotional subjecture or fact?

If you want to support your argument instead of spewing the same tired old schpeal with no substance, (completely ignoring my previous post about longevity and how the greats lost to average guys anyways), why don't you list the guys he's fought and their rankings in the division when he fought them, and THEN list the alternative "Better Top Contender, Prime Champion" he should have fought instead. I'm honestly curious to see what you come up with.

Last edited:
Doesn't BoxRec use some kind of point system to establish rankings?

If that's the case, there are pros and cons. It removes the emotional aspect of creating these lists (the nostalgia factor) but it also can over-simplify things. For example, there's no way Wlad should be ranked over Lennox Lewis.

But in general, some aspects of that list do not seem as crazy as some people may think. I think we tend to underrate modern fighters because we were actually here to watch them and do not experience the same sense of magical nostalgia.

If Floyd fought in the 1940s, and we had the tapes, a lot of people would say he's the greatest who ever lived. Imagine Floyd looking untouchable and knocking dudes out in black and white. It'd carry quite a bit of emotional weight over us watching him argue with Larry Merchant and be under constant criticism for the fights he takes, in real-time.

We weren't there in 1940's to wonder why SRR was fighting some bum in his next fight, instead of the guy we really wanted to see him fight, ya know?

Imagine Manny Pacquiao footage in black and white. Taking Hatton out in one punch, swarming other greats like Barrera, and moving up through 8 or 9 weight classes. Imagine the Pacquiao vs Cotto fight in grainy black and white. We'd probably have him in the top 5 fighters of all time too.
Id like to see some elite editor do something like this.

OK, please tell us... Are you talking emotional subjecture or fact?

If you want to support your argument instead of spewing the same tired old schpeal with no substance, (completely ignoring my previous post about longevity and how the greats lost to average guys anyways), why don't you list the guys he's fought and their rankings in the division when he fought them, and THEN list the alternative "Better Top Contender, Prime Champion" he should have fought instead. I'm honestly curious to see what you come up with.

He avoided Cotto, Mosley,for years, and only fought Cotto and Mosley until they were severely faded. He had Antonio Margarito and Paul Williams sitting at welterweight for years, with titles, and never fought them. I remember him challenging Winky Wright, then backing out and fighting Sharmba Mitchell way back in 2005. There were any number of better fighters in his weight class he could have fought when he went after Guerrero, Berto, Marquez.

Sorry, but hand picking your opponents, often times men smaller than you, or men whose styles preclude them winning, AND you only fight in Las Vegas so you can shoot up your brittle hands?

Does not qualify to be called best ever in my eyes.

He avoided Cotto, Mosley,for years, and only fought Cotto and Mosley until they were severely faded. He had Antonio Margarito and Paul Williams sitting at welterweight for years, with titles, and never fought them. I remember him challenging Winky Wright, then backing out and fighting Sharmba Mitchell way back in 2005. There were any number of better fighters in his weight class he could have fought when he went after Guerrero, Berto, Marquez.

Sorry, but hand picking your opponents, often times men smaller than you, or men whose styles preclude them winning, AND you only fight in Las Vegas so you can shoot up your brittle hands?

Does not qualify to be called best ever in my eyes.
You didn't answer the question. Who did he fight, when he could have fought someone else, that was better?
Winky Wright was a Middleweight when Floyd fought Sharmba Mitchell in november of 2005. Floyd has never fought at MW. Stupid comparison.
Any other reaches?

Marquez was a come back fight after almost 2 yrs off and is a Hall of Famer P4P'er at the time, that ktfo Manny Pac AFTER they fought. Wait didnt Pacman and Marquez fight at the same weightclass Floyd and Marquez fought? You guys act like Floyd is some giant at WW.

When Floyd fought Guerrero (who was Champion btw), who else should he have fought? You bring RG up, but you're not answering the question.

Berto was a retirement fight; Would you like to tell me who Sugar Ray Robinson fought in his last fight?

Miguel Cotto was a weight class behind him for a while, when they were both WWs Floyd was looking for bigger fights until Cotto was big enough to fight him and they fought while Cotto was damn good, AND younger than Floyd.

As far as Mosley, this was while Floyd was still a SLW and Shane was in his prime at JMW, look at who else he called out 1-2 weight classes away from him; who avoided whom? Explain this please:

Oh and both Cotto and Mosley when he fought them were the 2 or 3 top rated WW, Pacman #1 of course.

Antonio Margrito? Are you serous? THATS the big Boogeyman he should hve fought? I'll help you out on this one since you're probably unaware of who he decided to fight instead at the time Margo might've been in the mix.
When they actually made an offer to fight Floyd they were also working on fighting #1 ranked JMW in the World, Oscar De La Hoya for the largest payot in history and at the frst time moving up to a new weight class. You tell me what he should've done.
And Margo isnt the difference maker anyways. Are you trying to say Margo was more dangerous than Maidana, or Canelo?

Pwill? come on dude, he's not any interchangeable than any of the other guys Floyd fought at the same time.
Again, answer the question...Instead of fighting "this guy" at the time he fought him, who else was a better option (ie. more money, higher rated etc.)? Anybody can just throw names out, add some context to who he fought and whom he SHOULD HAVE fought at THAT time instead.

Beside that point though, like I said, which you choose to ignore: Running the table for 19 years against ANY top contenders for 26 straight fights is damn hard to do. The greatest in history havent been able to do that, and 9/10 times when they lost during their reign it was against less than legendary fighters. And THAT appears to be a heavily weighted metric that boxrec is using. In that case it would make sense. And THATs the main point I've made that you choose to ignore.

Instead you rehash the same tired old issues that have been debunked numerous times around here. Some of you guys just hate the guy for the sake of whatever. You haven't even answered the comparible fighters that were available when Floyd had other championship fights that he should have fought instead.
Are you trying to say all 26 Champions were cherry picked when all you could come up with is:
two guys past their prime and these other two guys he never fought? Neither of those two guys he didnt fight ended up being ATG world beaters in boxing anyways.
You MIGHT have had an argument if Paul Williams or Antonio Margarito had EVER become p4p Top 3 at any time in their career and never fought Floyd.

What's funny is the childish pettyness some of you guys have. Because once upon a time a guy named Floyd Mayweather Jr. flaunted his wealth in front of the camera, talked a little shit and you got all butthurt as if it made some kind of difference in your lives. You decided to hate everything about the guy, what he does, how he fights, who he fights, nitpick his personal life, and make up any set of excuses to discredit every accomplishment he has ever acheived in a sport most of you wouldn't last 2 years professionally in... It used to be irritating, now it's just humorous.
Go ahead get whatever it is off your chest, I already know reasonable conversation isn't gonna work. You can't even answer my simple question...

Last edited:
You didn't answer the question. Who did he fight, when he could have fought someone else, that was better?
Winky Wright was a Middleweight when Floyd fought Sharmba Mitchell in november of 2005. Floyd has never fought at MW. Stupid comparison.
Any other reaches?

Marquez was a come back fight after almost 2 yrs off and is a Hall of Famer P4P'er at the time, that ktfo Manny Pac AFTER they fought. Wait didnt Pacman and Marquez fight at the same weightclass Floyd and Marquez fought? You guys act like Floyd is some giant at WW.

When Floyd fought Guerrero (who was Champion btw), who else should he have fought? You bring RG up, but you're not answering the question.

Berto was a retirement fight; Would you like to tell me who Sugar Ray Robinson fought in his last fight?

Miguel Cotto was a weight class behind him for a while, when they were both WWs Floyd was looking for bigger fights until Cotto was big enough to fight him and they fought while Cotto was damn good, AND younger than Floyd.

As far as Mosley, this was while Floyd was still a SLW and Shane was in his prime at WW, look at who else he called out 1-2 weight classes away from him; who avoided whom? Explain this please:

Oh and both Cotto and Mosley when he fought them were the 2 or 3 top rated WW, Pacman #1 of course.

Antonio Margrito? Are you serous? THATS the big Boogeyman he should hve fought? I'll help you out on this one since you're probably unaware of who he decided to fight instead at the time Margo might've been in the mix.
When they actually made an offer to fight Floyd they were also working on fighting #1 ranked JMW in the World, Oscar De La Hoya for the largest payot in history and at the frst time moving up to a new weight class. You tell me what he should've done.
And Margo isnt the difference maker anyways. Are you trying to say Margo was more dangerous than Maidana, or Canelo?

Pwill? come on dude, he's not any interchangeable than any of the other guys Floyd fought at the same time.
Again, answer the question...Instead of fighting "this guy" at the time he fought him, who else was a better option (ie. more money, higher rated etc.)? Anybody can just throw names out, add some context to who he fought and whom he SHOULD HAVE fought at THAT time instead.

Beside that point though, like I said, which you choose to ignore: Running the table for 19 years against ANY top contenders for 26 straight fights is damn hard to do. The greatest in history havent been able to do that, and 9/10 times when they lost during their reign it was against less than legendary fighters. And THAT appears to be a heavily weighted metric that boxrec is using. In that case it would make sense. And THATs the main point I've made that you choose to ignore.

Instead you rehash the same tired old issues that have been debunked numerous times around here. Some of you guys just hate the guy for the sake of whatever. You haven't even answered the comparible fighters that were available when Floyd had other championship fights that he should have fought instead.
Are you trying to say all 26 Champions were cherry picked when all you could come up with, these two guys past his prime and these other two guys he never fought? Neither of those two guys ended up being world beaters in boxing anyways.
You MIGHT have had an argument if Paul Williams or Antonio Margarito had EVER become p4p Top 3 at any time in their career and never fought Floyd.

What's funny is the childish pettyness some of you guys have. Because once upon a time a guy named Floyd Mayweather Jr. flaunted his wealth in front of the camera, talked a little shit and you got all butthurt as if it made some kind of difference in your lives. You decided to hate everything about the guy, what he does, how he fights, who he fights, nitpick his personal life, and make up any set of excuses to discredit every accomplishment he has ever acheived in a sport most of you wouldn't last 2 years professionally in...

He challenged Wright, and backed out at the last minute. This is not a stupid comparison, it is what happened.

Marquez was not even a big lightweight, who was chosen to fight at welterweight. That fight was horseshit.

Mosley called for Floyd after the second Vargas fight. He was shot after the Cotto fight. He barely was able to take out Mayorga, and the writing was on the wall by that point.

A lot of people were calling for Floyd to fight Cotto to fight Mayweather after the Mosley fight. Floyd talked about fighting him, and stopped, and waited until Cotto was severely diminished from Mosley, Clottey and Pacquiao.

I mean really, who is going to argue that Andre Berto, Robert Guerrero were near the best in their divisions?

He challenged Wright, and backed out at the last minute. This is not a stupid comparison, it is what happened.
You keep ignoring the point of the discussion. Im starting to believe it's not possible for you to address.

But anyways, Could it have to do with Winky being a true Middleweight? OK so that makes Floyd a pussy now....Did he challenge him when he was still a welterweight? I honestly don't know cause I can't find proof of him challenging Winky. Feel free to post it.
Marquez was not even a big lightweight, who was chosen to fight at welterweight. That fight was horseshit.
Why because you say so? Who else should he have fought? Didn't Marquez make the Welterwieght division requirements? (over 140 but under 148). But Marquez fighting Pacman at WW is just fine....sounds like a double standard.
Mosley called for Floyd after the second Vargas fight. He was shot after the Cotto fight. He barely was able to take out Mayorga, and the writing was on the wall by that point.
LOL, dude he destroyed Mayorga and dismantled Margarito in easy fashion right befroe fighting Floyd...
A lot of people were calling for Floyd to fight Cotto to fight Mayweather after the Mosley fight. Floyd talked about fighting him, and stopped, and waited until Cotto was severely diminished from Mosley, Clottey and Pacquiao.

I mean really, who is going to argue that Andre Berto, Robert Guerrero were near the best in their divisions?
LOL....Mosley and Cotto fought the same year Osacr and Floyd fought. And actually you're wrong, it was Mosley
who tried to get the Floyd flight next after Cotto, but the Hatton fight was signed. The whole scenario is explained in the wiki on the Margo vs Cotto fight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Cotto_vs._Antonio_Margarito
Margo beat Cotto that next year when Floyd fought Hatton and was less of an attraction for Floyd just as much Mosley was less attractinve after losing to Cotto the previous year. Who is gonna argue Hatton was a shitty fight to take? He was reigning 140 lineal champ #3 P4P and 43-0. And yes coming up to 147, but thats what guys do...I dont hear people shitting on GGG cause he KO'd a WW that came up to fight him. Nor is that win discounted on GGG's behalf. Why is Floyd judged differently?

As far as Guerrero: Answer the question, who should Floyd have fought if he wasn't going to fight Robert Guerrero the Champion at 147. If you're a champion you're one of the best, no matter how you feel.

And Berto, you ignored again what I said. A retirement fight is hardly a fight to lay stake on a guy's resume. If it is than we have to re rank everyone: Ali, SRR, SRL, Hagler, Chavez and on and on, with who their last fight was with. Does it make sense to do that, based on you harping on Berto as his last fight?

Last edited:
Any other reaches?

As far as Mosley, this was while Floyd was still a SLW and Shane was in his prime at JMW, look at who else he called out 1-2 weight classes away from him; who avoided whom? Explain this please:

Are you trying to say all 26 Champions were cherry picked when all you could come up with is:
two guys past their prime and these other two guys he never fought? Neither of those two guys he didnt fight ended up being ATG world beaters in boxing anyways.

What's funny is the childish pettyness some of you guys have. Because once upon a time a guy named Floyd Mayweather Jr. flaunted his wealth in front of the camera, talked a little shit and you got all butthurt as if it made some kind of difference in your lives. You decided to hate everything about the guy, what he does, how he fights, who he fights, nitpick his personal life, and make up any set of excuses to discredit every accomplishment he has ever acheived in a sport most of you wouldn't last 2 years professionally in... It used to be irritating, now it's just humorous.
Go ahead get whatever it is off your chest, I already know reasonable conversation isn't gonna work. You can't even answer my simple question...

Nasty left peppering the jab

Hills flails away praying to land but only coming up with air

You keep ignoring the point of the discussion. Im starting to believe it's not possible for you to address.

But anyways, Could it have to do with Winky being a true Middleweight? OK so that makes Floyd a pussy now....Did he challenge him when he was still a welterweight? I honestly don't know cause I can't find proof of him challenging Winky. Feel free to post it.

Why because you say so? Who else should he have fought? Didn't Marquez make the Welterwieght division requirements? (over 140 but under 148). But Marquez fighting Pacman at WW is just fine....sounds like a double standard.
LOL, dude he destroyed Mayorga and dismantled Margarito in easy fashion right befroe fighting Floyd...

LOL....Mosley and Cotto fought the same year Osacr and Floyd fought. And actually you're wrong, it was Mosley
who tried to get the Floyd flight next after Cotto, but the Hatton fight was signed. The whole scenario is explained in the wiki on the Margo vs Cotto fight.
Margo beat Cotto that next year when Floyd fought Hatton and was less of an attraction for Floyd just as much Mosley was less attractinve after losing to Cotto the previous year. Who is gonna argue Hatton was a shitty fight to take? He was reigning 140 lineal champ #3 P4P and 43-0. And yes coming up to 147, but thats what guys do...I dont hear people shitting on GGG cause he KO'd a WW that came up to fight him. Nor is that win discounted on GGG's behalf. Why is Floyd judged differently?

As far as Guerrero: Answer the question, who should Floyd have fought if he wasn't going to fight Robert Guerrero the Champion at 147. If you're a champion you're one of the best, no matter how you feel.

And Berto, you ignored again what I said. A retirement fight is hardly a fight to lay stake on a guy's resume. If it is than we have to re rank everyone: Ali, SRR, SRL, Hagler, Chavez and on and on, with who their last fight was with. Does it make sense to do that, based on you harping on Berto as his last fight?
Nastyleft absolutely flattens his opponent with a vicious over hand left.

Winky was a natural 154 pounder. Bob Arum admitted Mayweather started the talk. Mayweather talked shit on ESPN. They were near the deal, but Floyd held it up, insisting upon Winky not being able to rehydrate 8 lbs or more over 154.

When he fought Marquez at welterweight there was Cotto, Margarito, Paul Williams, a still fresh Andre Berto.

I do judge GGG for fighting a welterweight when there are more interesting options against legitimate middleweights.

When he fought Guerrero there was Pacquiao (yes this one can be somewhat discounted considering all the bullshit perpetrated by both sides for like 5 years), Tim Bradley

Yeah, I'll concede on the retirement fight. But Floyd is at a higher level than most guys in the division, so I would have rather seen him face somewhat not completely shot.

As questionable as their ranking may be, they're successful at making people talk about it.

Any other reaches?

Longest post ever?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back