Lonzo Ball: Bust or Baller?

What's really sad about this kid is his lack of defense. It's one thing to shoot 30% but to not even try on defense is another. Kuzma is the real future star of this team, and Clarkson should be starting.
His D isn't complete trash. He is certainly an upgrade over D'lo in that regard. You don't average as many blocks as he does by putting no effort in D.

Ignoring the Lavar/media garbage, he's been close to what Magic and Luke projected before the season. "He'll not be a big scorer, but you'll see him get a lot of rebounds and assists, push the pace, and be disruptive on D". Let's see how he does midway through the season.

He'll probably be inconsistent as hell for the first 2-3 seasons. Like almost all young players. His dad and the media hype didn't really do him any favors in that regard, because every mistake will be under a microscope. If he develops correctly, he should be a triple-double machine. I think the fact he's already had multiple triple-doubles shows that he's more baller than bust. But he may never live up to the hype, even if he becomes a consistently good player.

2nd triple dub

@Madmick
Practically an All-Star. Westbrook 2.0.

Got the wins to prove it.

Takes Lakers to playoffs in first season.
giphy.webp

He'll probably be inconsistent as hell for the first 2-3 seasons. Like almost all young players. His dad and the media hype didn't really do him any favors in that regard, because every mistake will be under a microscope. If he develops correctly, he should be a triple-double machine. I think the fact he's already had multiple triple-doubles shows that he's more baller than bust. But he may never live up to the hype, even if he becomes a consistently good player.

I still see him has too passive though. Yeah he is getting assists, but that's from playing hot potato around the 3 point line. He just happens to be the previous player to have the ball before the shooter makes a basket. He's not breaking down the defense or creating opportunities for his teammates on a regular basis to get those assists.

I still see him has too passive though. Yeah he is getting assists, but that's from playing hot potato around the 3 point line. He just happens to be the previous player to have the ball before the shooter makes a basket. He's not breaking down the defense or creating opportunities for his teammates on a regular basis to get those assists.
Perhaps to some extent, but I also see him make great outlet passes and he shows innate court vision. Only 5 players in NBA history have recorded multiple triple-doubles in as many games or fewer. I agree that he's too passive, but I think he has the potential to overcome.

He’ll probably play much better without that stupid ass haircut.

Practically an All-Star. Westbrook 2.0.

Got the wins to prove it.

giphy.webp
No no no... not WB 2.0. Magic 2.0. Who is better than Westbrick and a proven champion and leader.

You're welcome for this correction my young padawan.

2nd triple dub

@Madmick
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...looks-good-on-paper-but-its-pretty-deceiving/

Not that all players don't pick up 'cheap' stats but I think the pertinent point here is that there's nothing special about his playmaking or physical abilities. He has one great attribute - he gets out and throws a mean outlet like Kevin Love. But how many times do you hear people say that Love is or was an all star player because of his outlets?

That's right. He'll pick up more triple doubles than the average player. But have a look at his play on the court and compare with any of the other top rookie guards and he's easily notches below. And the stats bear that out as well as the eye test.

Perhaps to some extent, but I also see him make great outlet passes and he shows innate court vision. Only 5 players in NBA history have recorded multiple triple-doubles in as many games or fewer. I agree that he's too passive, but I think he has the potential to overcome.
You know Ben Simmons has 2 triple doubles as well but he gets them in winning efforts, breaking down defences and scoring around 20ppg at about 50% as well. That's what's wrong with taking this triple double as some sort of godly indicator of quality.

No no no... not WB 2.0. Magic 2.0. Who is better than Westbrick and a proven champion and leader.

You're welcome for this correction my young padawan.
Simmons looks like Magic 2.0

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...looks-good-on-paper-but-its-pretty-deceiving/

Not that all players don't pick up 'cheap' stats but I think the pertinent point here is that there's nothing special about his playmaking or physical abilities. He has one great attribute - he gets out and throws a mean outlet like Kevin Love. But how many times do you hear people say that Love is or was an all star player because of his outlets?

That's right. He'll pick up more triple doubles than the average player. But have a look at his play on the court and compare with any of the other top rookie guards and he's easily notches below. And the stats bear that out as well as the eye test.

Exactly this. Everyone is wetting their pants over his triple doubles. But if you actually watch the game, he isn't really making plays. He just happens to be the last passer before someone decides to shoot. And usually he passes the ball around the perimeter. He's not setting up teammates.

How ballsy do you think a guy would have to be to sport BBB shoes on a blacktop, right now? Laughingstock of the court.
What? No my non-shrewd business minded friend, these are collectors items. I expect my pair of BBB to be worth a small yacht in the future.

Exactly this. Everyone is wetting their pants over his triple doubles. But if you actually watch the game, he isn't really making plays. He just happens to be the last passer before someone decides to shoot. And usually he passes the ball around the perimeter. He's not setting up teammates.

This is true. He’s not as bad as people say but no where as good as people try to hype him as.

He handles the ball and passes ahead all of the time = assists

He’s 6’6, crashes the boards and plays along side a center with a career high of 4 rpg = rebounds

He attacks (somewhat) during transition but does little to none in a half court set. Much of what he currently lacks can be built over time: shooting, learning an offensive system, leading a team, controlling pace.

I’d like to see more energy and passion; he should be looking to attack instead of being content of taking what the game gives him. I blame him idolizing LeBeta for that.

#leflopmentality #lequitin4thquarter #letkyrieclosethegames

This is true. He’s not as bad as people say but no where as good as people try to hype him as.

He handles the ball and passes ahead all of the time = assists

He’s 6’6, crashes the boards and plays along side a center with a career high of 4 rpg = rebounds

He attacks (somewhat) during transition but does little to none in a half court set. Much of what he currently lacks can be built over time: shooting, learning an offensive system, leading a team, controlling pace.

I’d like to see more energy and passion; he should be looking to attack instead of being content of taking what the game gives him. I blame him idolizing LeBeta for that.

#leflopmentality #lequitin4thquarter #letkyrieclosethegames

Serious? If anything Lebron would teach him how to attack.

I want to see him develop a post game. Dude is 6'6". He should be man handling guards

Serious? If anything Lebron would teach him how to attack.

I want to see him develop a post game. Dude is 6'6". He should be man handling guards

How to attack the juice more likely.

<BronTroll1>

What? No my non-shrewd business minded friend, these are collectors items. I expect my pair of BBB to be worth a small yacht in the future.
Excellent assessment. I found a yacht that you should be able to pick up if the shoes appreciate in value enough:

maxresdefault.jpg

Back