London BJJ - best professor to learn from

I trained at Carlsons in Hammersmith for a few weeks a few years ago. I thought it was great. Morning/afternoon classes were more aggressive than evenings, but I didn't experience anything like what people seem to hype up about that place. Big facility, lots of classes, lots of people and if the price I paid for a month as a visitor is anything like their monthly fees, not too expensive either.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll most likely go either here or to Rogers. Both a similar distance from where I live and seem like two of the best places also.

It's a distinction between expert and non-expert, as signified by the black belt. Obviously that's an arbitrary line, but it's really not worth getting in a twist over. Anyone who thinks this is a big deal should really consult a dictionary.

Definition of professor
c: one that teaches or professes special knowledge of an art, sport, or occupation requiring skill

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professor

I was referring to the terminology professor means teacher in Portuguese.

It does not mean some form of expertise. Or is there a distinction between different level of teacher in Brazil.

All I am saying is that some BB are very quick at creating a quick distinction because for me he just means teacher and can or could be used for anyone being in a teacher role.

That’s good to hear. Out of interest, what is it about him that makes him such a good instructor? I know he’s a high level competitor but don’t about his teaching style etc. I’ve seen lots of instructors who don’t pay much attention to the students while they’re drilling / don’t offer advice etc.

I like his style. He has good instruction, knows how to explain the techniques, the most important details and knows how to address the most common mistakes.
On the beginning he won't notice you too much because there's many people training at RGA, but if you're a regular for a while and once he starts to know your game, he starts to correct more the mistakes that you're making, specially during the specific sparrings.
At RGA you also have Lyubo's wrestling classes, hands down the best instructor I've ever trained with.

I like his style. He has good instruction, knows how to explain the techniques, the most important details and knows how to address the most common mistakes.
On the beginning he won't notice you too much because there's many people training at RGA, but if you're a regular for a while and once he starts to know your game, he starts to correct more the mistakes that you're making, specially during the specific sparrings.
At RGA you also have Lyubo's wrestling classes, hands down the best instructor I've ever trained with.

Right ok thanks for the insight. I’ve been to a few places where the instructor hasn’t paid any attention but like you say it makes sense if you’re not a regular and there are a lot of people on the mat.

I suppose the one caveat I have to joining RGA would be if there was somewhere else which has a particularly strong track record of producing high level guys. It’s not my aspiration to be one but a good indicator of the level of coaching. Off the top of my head at RGA there’s been Ross and Oli - sure I’m missing others just am not aware of them. Plus Dan at Mill Hill. Obviously people like Charles compete at a high level but he didn’t learn his trade at RGA.

Why do you call it "professor" in bjj? Sounds pompous and elitist. These are coaches in a ma.
But as I am not native english speaker really tell me maybe there is a reason.

I never heard anyone in boxing, kickboxing or wrestling refer to their coaches as professors. Its a term I know from the academic world which is not really BJJs area of expertise ;)
I call them coaches. The professor thing as I understand it, is that it is a direct translation from the Portuguese, professor, which simply means teacher. It is not a reference to university or academics. Anyway, none of my coaches want to be called professor. They all prefer coach or even their first name, they are all native Americans though. I don’t even think Carlos Machado is called professor. I call him sir and Mr Machado.

I call them coaches. The professor thing as I understand it, is that it is a direct translation from the Portuguese, professor, which simply means teacher. It is not a reference to university or academics. Anyway, none of my coaches want to be called professor. They all prefer coach or even their first name, they are all native Americans though. I don’t even think Carlos Machado is called professor. I call him sir and Mr Machado.

You probably old school but nowdays it is the norm to expect to be called professor . Hate it as it is one of those bs that creeped in just like Oss.

For me, as long as you don't call me bro during the class, I am cool.

You probably old school but nowdays it is the norm to expect to be called professor . Hate it as it is one of those bs that creeped in just like Oss.

For me, as long as you don't call me bro during the class, I am cool.
Lol. Yeah. I started way back in 02. I wouldn’t call a guy professor. Also, those damn OSS bros drive me crazy. I don’t call my instructor bro. I call them coach or even their first name.

Lol. Yeah. I started way back in 02. I wouldn’t call a guy professor. Also, those damn OSS bros drive me crazy. I don’t call my instructor bro. I call them coach or even their first name.

My former instructor complained that I did not add the title professor when mentioning him on my blog or FB post .

Need less to say we no longer friend .

We actually make this apology about professor meaning teacher in Brazil .

But the truth is that they think that they are better than teacher and they fully wants to use the title to its fake achievement .

A good example is that stupid Mene on FB that was floating a few years ago about that a bjj BB takes 10 years to get and therefore it took longer that being a doctor or some bs like that.

Even my former "professor" used to quote it in desperation to validate his "life" achievement.

The problem is that he was too dumb to realise that in order to get to medical school which could last less than ten years, you have to go to primary, secondary, high school, university etc....

My former instructor complained that I did not add the title professor when mentioning him on my blog or FB post .

But the truth is that they think that they are better than teacher and they fully wants to use the title to its fake achievement .

A good example is that stupid Mene on FB that was floating a few years ago about that a bjj BB takes 10 years to get and therefore it took longer that being a doctor or some bs like that.

Even my former "professor" used to quote it in desperation to validate his "life" achievement.

The problem is that he was too dumb to realise that in order to get to medical school which could last less than ten years, you have to go to primary, secondary, high school, university etc....
Fuck that. I joined jiu jitsu for the informality of the art. Requiring me to call you professor would kind of piss me off. I think I would train somewhere else. Or maybe that is why I don’t train at a weird place like that.

If he is referring to medical doctors then that it ridiculous.

Doctors save lives. Jiujitsu is a niche hobby that few manage to make a living out of. Comparing the two is ridiculous.

I always figured that people comparing BJJ blackbelts to doctorates were doing so against degrees like Leisure Studies or Drama, not against difficult or beneficial ones.

Fuck that. I joined jiu jitsu for the informality of the art. Requiring me to call you professor would kind of piss me off. I think I would train somewhere else. Or maybe that is why I don’t train at a weird place like that.

A medium has to be found. Some places are so informal I'm surprised anything gets achieved.

I'm not a huge fan of the professor thing either, but there has to be some structure in place

A medium has to be found. Some places are so informal I'm surprised anything gets achieved.

I'm not a huge fan of the professor thing either, but there has to be some structure in place
I am not disagreeing with that statement. Of course there has to be some measure of discipline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back