London BJJ - best professor to learn from

Haye

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all

Lots to choose from in London. Rogers, Carlson’s, Gracie Barra etc.

But what I’m wondering is where you guys would choose. While, for example, Rogers would be amazing if he were teaching regularly, he doesn’t. So who is the professor that will be there week in/week out who you would choose? I’m looking for someone who really invests and cares for their students development.

Thanks guys - appreciate your help

To add, I’m based in West London but will travel wherever within the city if there are recommendations elsewhere.

Cheers

I train at RGA - it’s excellent. Roger doesn’t teach regularly but his professors are top notch.

Why do you call it "professor" in bjj? Sounds pompous and elitist. These are coaches in a ma.
But as I am not native english speaker really tell me maybe there is a reason.

I never heard anyone in boxing, kickboxing or wrestling refer to their coaches as professors. Its a term I know from the academic world which is not really BJJs area of expertise ;)

I train at RGA - it’s excellent. Roger doesn’t teach regularly but his professors are top notch.

Thanks for the reply. That’s good to hear.

Out of interest, did you consider Carlson’s before you joined Rogers? I don’t know if it’s still the case but I was told some time ago that their comp record was second to none.

Why do you call it "professor" in bjj? Sounds pompous and elitist. These are coaches in a ma.

I never heard anyone in boxing, kickboxing or wrestling refer to their coaches as professors. Its a term I know from the academic world which is not really BJJs area of expertise ;)

Haha fair point. I’ve heard lots of people use the term so thought I would too, to be on the safe side and to be respectful!

I totally agree. I personally call my BJJ instructor coaches, even my coach said to call him coach if you wanted to give him a title. When you call someone 'professor' you think of academics, as in college. I don't know how the term grew in BJJ, but I think it started in Brazil(I could be wrong) and somehow took root in America. No one I knew at my old gym used that term though, could be an internet thing too.

The word in Portuguese just means 'teacher' and you'd use it equally of a Judo coach (e.g. http://www.mehdijudo.com.br/sensei/) and someone who teaches finger painting in primary school.

Thanks for the reply. That’s good to hear.

Out of interest, did you consider Carlson’s before you joined Rogers? I don’t know if it’s still the case but I was told some time ago that their comp record was second to none.

I did, but I heard the vibe of their gym is a bit more aggressive with simulated many vs one street defense type training.

Could be wrong, but I prefer the more relaxed vibe at RGA.

I think Rogers is probably the way to go. I have trained there before and certainly don’t have anything bad to say about it. Found it friendly etc. I suppose just want to be sure as I haven’t had exposure to a lot of the bjj places around the city.
I did, but I heard the vibe of their gym is a bit more aggressive with simulated many vs one street defense type training.

Could be wrong, but I prefer the more relaxed vibe at RGA.

Right ok fair enough. I’ve heard similar. Glad that you enjoy it at RGA.

I trained at Carlsons in Hammersmith for a few weeks a few years ago. I thought it was great. Morning/afternoon classes were more aggressive than evenings, but I didn't experience anything like what people seem to hype up about that place. Big facility, lots of classes, lots of people and if the price I paid for a month as a visitor is anything like their monthly fees, not too expensive either.

Hi all
So who is the professor that will be there week in/week out who you would choose? I’m looking for someone who really invests and cares for their students development.

Charles Negromonte is there on a daily basis. Great instructor

its simply just a language thing.

Even in English it simply means "one who teaches", with connotations of being an expert. It's completely reasonable to apply the label to a black belt martial arts instructor. It's as much a job description as an honorific.

I think it might just be a thing carried over from the Portuguese language and Brazil.

I played baseball in Venezuela(different language I know) and it was quite common to call your coach "profesor". I think for many other sports the coach is usually called prof. and their name. It was probably that when BJJ started in the states the brazilian coaches just thought it was professor.

I called my coach by his first name and usually refer as coach.

Yeah, lots of people don't realise its as simple as that - they think its some underlying pretentiousness within BJJ, when its simply just a language thing.

Well yes and no.

The reason is I heard from a five time world champion that professor is only used for BB that teach. According to him, a brown belt that teach is to be call a coach.

I found that pompous and arrogant because both persons have the same role of teaching but apparently only the BB is allowed to demand his student to address him with the foreign terminology.

I found that pompous and arrogant because both persons have the same role of teaching but apparently only the BB is allowed to demand his student to address him with the foreign terminology.

It's a distinction between expert and non-expert, as signified by the black belt. Obviously that's an arbitrary line, but it's really not worth getting in a twist over. Anyone who thinks this is a big deal should really consult a dictionary.

Definition of professor
c: one that teaches or professes special knowledge of an art, sport, or occupation requiring skill

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professor

Charles Negromonte is there on a daily basis. Great instructor

That’s good to hear. Out of interest, what is it about him that makes him such a good instructor? I know he’s a high level competitor but don’t about his teaching style etc. I’ve seen lots of instructors who don’t pay much attention to the students while they’re drilling / don’t offer advice etc.

Back