Lomanchenko vs Marriaga.

He's incredibly one dimensional. He fights at one speed and does the exact same thing from the opening bell until the fight is over. Every one of his fights looks exactly the same. He doesn't mix it up at all.

If what he's doing is working, why would he switch it up?

See, I would think you would like a fighter like Loma...a guy who makes other fighters miss....not just "standing and banging".
I don't like him. I think he cherry picks and I don't like that he calls out guys like Rigondeaux and Garcia and fights Sosa and Marriaga instead. All great fighters cherry pick but Lomachenko hasn't earned it. I also thought he showed a lack of class and a bit of stupidity trying to show off against Marriaga.

Is Lomachenko a little too exotic for you, Seano?

I don't like him. I think he cherry picks and I don't like that he calls out guys like Rigondeaux and Garcia and fights Sosa and Marriaga instead. All great fighters cherry pick but Lomachenko hasn't earned it. I also thought he showed a lack of class and a bit of stupidity trying to show off against Marriaga.

Honestly, I'd rather have a fighter show off a little...like Loma, or Hamed...rather than phone it in, or treat a fight like a sparring session, and do the absolute mimimum to win. like Rigo.

There is a reason why Loma is getting more buzz than Rigo...
it's because he's puts on a show.

Since when has boxing been about what a fighter earns? It's a popularity contest. Your fans and promoters determine how much money you make and who you get to fight or avoid. Loma has a fan base that far exceeds his professional experience so he is the upside against almost all the guys around his weight.

To be fair you've disliked him for various reasons from nearly the beginning of his career. You were pretty annoyed that he demanded and got a title shot so quickly. You said he needed to fight some nobodies first and it bothered you that he had so much leverage for seemingly no reason at all. That is all pretty understandable and other fighters getting the same treatment has annoyed me in the past. I think I give Loma a pass because he's so much fun to watch and for having 10 professional fights I think his opposition has been really good. It is time though for an evenly matched fight. Salido is running scared so that ship has sailed.

Honestly, I'd rather have a fighter show off a little...like Loma, or Hamed...rather than phone it in, or treat a fight like a sparring session, and do the absolute mimimum to win. like Rigo.

There is a reason why Loma is getting more buzz than Rigo...
it's because he's puts on a show.
eh, it has a lot to do with his promoter actually promoting him and HBO overselling him for a couple of years, IMO.

Since when has boxing been about what a fighter earns? It's a popularity contest. Your fans and promoters determine how much money you make and who you get to fight or avoid. Loma has a fan base that far exceeds his professional experience so he is the upside against almost all the guys around his weight.

To be fair you've disliked him for various reasons from nearly the beginning of his career. You were pretty annoyed that he demanded and got a title shot so quickly. You said he needed to fight some nobodies first and it bothered you that he had so much leverage for seemingly no reason at all. That is all pretty understandable and other fighters getting the same treatment has annoyed me in the past. I think I give Loma a pass because he's so much fun to watch and for having 10 professional fights I think his opposition has been really good. It is time though for an evenly matched fight. Salido is running scared so that ship has sailed.
I didn't say anything about what he earns. I have no idea what he gets for a fight, actually.

I was talking about him earning the right to cherry pick. He was cherry picking opponents in his second pro fight. He simply hasn't earned it.

Seano is right about Loma's opponent selection. I was at my girlfriend's, without cable. I could have went up to the club room in her building to watch the fight, and I actually chose to go to sleep. Part of that is me being old and knowing I could see the replay the next day, but a part of it is also that I don't care to watch Lomachenko beat up guys that aren't as good as him. I was more interested in Ray Beltran than Lomachenko that night.

I don't know, guys. Kind of hard for me to poo poo that performance from Loma. Marriaga isn't a great fighter or close to it, but he's no can, either. Loma absolutely demolished him and was showing basically 0 respect once he knew Marriaga had nothing left for him, even got a bit of a shiner iirc b/c he was getting so aggressive.

Wins over Rocky Martinez, Garry Russell (one of my favorite fighters rn), Walters, Jason Sosa. All these guys are pretty solid fighters, Russell is a very good fighter imo, Walters no pushover either. Marriaga gave Valdez a tough fight recently, Sosa beat Fortun, these guys aren't low level fighters. I'm no Loma hugger but at the same time it's getting to the point where it's difficult for me to criticize Loma for much.

If he doesn't start stepping it up against the top dogs around the weight class soon, then Ill get on him for it. This was a free fight on a popular network against a decent opponent, and Loma fucking bodied him like he was a nobody off the street. I'll be looking for him to step it up soon, but I'm not gonna lie, this dude is pretty special, imo.

Seano is right about Loma's opponent selection. I was at my girlfriend's, without cable. I could have went up to the club room in her building to watch the fight, and I actually chose to go to sleep. Part of that is me being old and knowing I could see the replay the next day, but a part of it is also that I don't care to watch Lomachenko beat up guys that aren't as good as him. I was more interested in Ray Beltran than Lomachenko that night.

Marriaga was a bizarre choice. A small FW who was soundly beaten at FW by Valdez and Walters would never be a worthwhile opponent for a full sized SFW who is getting p4p consideration. Surely Arum could do better than that.

I don't know, guys. Kind of hard for me to poo poo that performance from Loma. Marriaga isn't a great fighter or close to it, but he's no can, either. Loma absolutely demolished him and was showing basically 0 respect once he knew Marriaga had nothing left for him, even got a bit of a shiner iirc b/c he was getting so aggressive.

Wins over Rocky Martinez, Garry Russell (one of my favorite fighters rn), Walters, Jason Sosa. All these guys are pretty solid fighters, Russell is a very good fighter imo, Walters no pushover either. Marriaga gave Valdez a tough fight recently, Sosa beat Fortun, these guys aren't low level fighters. I'm no Loma hugger but at the same time it's getting to the point where it's difficult for me to criticize Loma for much.

If he doesn't start stepping it up against the top dogs around the weight class soon, then Ill get on him for it. This was a free fight on a popular network against a decent opponent, and Loma fucking bodied him like he was a nobody off the street. I'll be looking for him to step it up soon, but I'm not gonna lie, this dude is pretty special, imo.

There isn't much doubting his talent and I think he's willing to fight anyone around his weight, but the way Arum is handling him does leave a bit to be desired.

Is Lomachenko a little too exotic for you, Seano?
I think I've been fairly clear about what I dislike about him. I think right now, he's a hype job. Sorry, he is. I hope he proves me wrong eventually but I have a feeling he makes a career of facing second string title holders with no hope of beating him while calling out Garcia, Crawford and Pacquiao on boxingscene.

I have to be honest, I think the newest crop of boxing fans are sort of stupid. they literally just parrot whatever HBO says. Is it coincidence that the majority of the fighters who appear on fans P4P list are basically a list of HBO's roster? I don't think so.

I think I've been fairly clear about what I dislike about him. I think right now, he's a hype job. Sorry, he is. I hope he proves me wrong eventually but I have a feeling he makes a career of facing second string title holders with no hope of beating him while calling out Garcia, Crawford and Pacquiao on boxingscene.

I have to be honest, I think the newest crop of boxing fans are sort of stupid. they literally just parrot whatever HBO says. Is it coincidence that the majority of the fighters who appear on fans P4P list are basically a list of HBO's roster? I don't think so.

I think some of the hype is over the top (he gets some fairly outrageous praise from some people relative to what he has actually achieved so far in the pro ranks), but he has only been a pro since late 2013. His talent level is obvious, though, and it's not like either FW, SFW, or LW are brimming with big name talent. The issue is that in order to get big fights, Arum is going to have to be willing to co-promote, and we all know how much he loves doing that.

I think he will surprise you and take on serious challengers back to back to back next year. We shall see one way or the other.

Your second paragraph is pretty spot on though. People these days seems to want to be told who to like and why and spit that back out whenever they talk about boxing. Sherdog seems to be the best place to avoid that stuff. People here often come up with their owns reasons to like or hate fighters which means a lot more. Even Broner has his share of die hard fans here haha.

Its funny that some of you are using Loma's record to justify hating on him.

Look at Errol Spence or Canelo or GGG's first 10 fights, those guys prolly dont even have wikipedia pages.

He carried Marriaga, and even sat in the corner and begged him to engage, just to make it entertaining.

Unwarranted hype grinds the gears of the hard nosed fan. I get it. IMO the hype is justified. It's hard to get me excited about a boxer these days and Loma fills the checkboxes.

Showboating doesn't sit well with me, but at least he backs it up, and he's got nothing else to do but entertain since he sees no threat in the ring.

Believe me, it ain't as cringe inducing as Rory Mac doing the Ali-shuffle for no reason at all.

Believe me, it ain't as cringe inducing as Rory Mac doing the Ali-shuffle for no reason at all.

anyone who isn't muhammad ali doing the ali shuffle should be immediately disqualified and suspended for a year.

two years if it's an mma fighter.

Honestly, there are only a handful of times where I have said "this fighter is going to be the next big thing."

In the past decade, I think I've maybe said this about 3 times in relation to boxers...

and maybe 4-5 times in MMA.

In regards to Boxing, I've said (way before his fight with Kell Brook) that Errol Spence is going to be a superstar...

and I say the same about Loma.

Both just aren't good, they are exceptionally talented and skilled.

I was never blown away by Terrence Crawford, Anthony Joshua, Danny Garcia and other "big names."

Loma and Spence will carry boxing for the next 5-6 years.

Honestly, there are only a handful of times where I have said "this fighter is going to be the next big thing."

In the past decade, I think I've maybe said this about 3 times in relation to boxers...

and maybe 4-5 times in MMA.

In regards to Boxing, I've said (way before his fight with Kell Brook) that Errol Spence is going to be a superstar...

and I say the same about Loma.

Both just aren't good, they are exceptionally talented and skilled.

I was never blown away by Terrence Crawford, Anthony Joshua, Danny Garcia and other "big names."

Loma and Spence will carry boxing for the next 5-6 years.
If Joshua beats bomb squad Ortiz and Pulev especially he will be a massive name. Definitely better know than loma.

Back