Lomachenko... Pretty Heavy on His Front Leg | Page 2

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by biscuitsbrah, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Sinister Doctor of Doom

Sinister
    Alright, so let's first address the personal issue (not in a bad way). I'm an instructor, but you especially know this. You saw me when I wasn't. You've seen video of me NOT abiding by half this stuff. Since then, in accepting an instructor's role it's become my primary function to insure the safety of students. Now, of course there is always more than one way to skin a cat, but some ways are a bit easier than others. I often do encounter a certain sensitivity among experienced fighters, no one wants to think of anything they're doing as "wrong" if it brings them a modicum of success. In your case, these are not personal criticisms I'm relaying. I haven't even seen you fight or spar in a long time, and earlier in this thread I made concessions for front-loaded stances and even told of a fighter I have that uses one, but what I keep reiterating here is there's a basic foundation of principals behind the idea. If your head is closer to your front foot than your rear, then you ARE closer to hitting range. That's not an opinion, it's just the nature of distance. In a stance something like this:

[​IMG]

The head is closer to center and the front foot/left side than this:

[​IMG]

In the above image, a person is going to have a bitch of a time getting past the guy's left hand and shoulder granted he knows how to use this position well. Now, if he does and can get the person respectful of HIS optimal distance, then he can do what he wants. As you mention above, you have ideas for which you may use a closer head-position, that's fine, so long as those ideas are mindful of tentative consequences and you know to make space when you need it.

If a fighter never learns to create optimal distance through positioning, then they'll always have to do work to get it, OR block punches by occupying their hands.

My main issue is with suggesting that having the head closer to the front foot is a generally good idea without the context of being trained by a VERY good trainer. If you took two guys who knew absolutely nothing and made them bend slightly forward and fight, both would definitely get hit. You take them and put their feet closer to each other but heads further away, at the very least neither guy who knows nothing is likely to be taken away in an ambulance:

[​IMG]

Whether by accident or by design, either of these kids will have to first figure out how to get to the head of the other.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned my fighter Joseph (Bandito). I posted this video in another thread, but check out his stance when I first got him:

Know why he's wearing the headgear with the bitch-bar? Because he'd eat jabs and get nosebleeds a lot.

Here's Joseph now, with me still being more forgiving of his stance than I typically like:

The ONLY reason I'm forgiving of it is because I am in charge of his education. And that would be the same for anyone, if I am assured of their education, then cool, do what you want. Lomanchnko comes from a boxing program that churns out Olympic medalists and some of the most feared current fighters, his been analyzed by qualified trainers out the yin yang.

SaiWa and biscuitsbrah like this.
  2. Sinister Doctor of Doom

Sinister
    LOL, I just watched this video posted the other day asking Norwegian Pro Alexander Hagen about training here. Watch his answer when he asks what's different:

Now, he did lose his last fight to Abel Gevor, but a whole lot of bullshit happened. The fight was delayed by 4 months. It was supposed to happen 3 weeks after he left here. And his training in Norway for the second date was sub-par, he even relayed to me that he didn't like the cornering DURING the fight. So they have a redemption fight there and likely will relocate here after. When I had him here he was VERY sharp, stopped a couple good sparring partners.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  3. biscuitsbrah Black Belt

biscuitsbrah
    The example with the picture of the kids is really good. What can you say about them both bring less offensive from that stance too?

4. Sinister Doctor of Doom

Sinister
    Less offense is just a by-product of good defense. From there it's about making the offense you can score really count.

biscuitsbrah likes this.