Lomachenko Gives Up WBO 130 Title, Remains at Lightweight

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
Updated at 10:30 PM EDT, Wed May 23, 2018

By Keith Idec

As expected, Vasiliy Lomachenko has decided to remain at lightweight for his next fight.

Lomachenko officially gave up his WBO junior lightweight title Wednesday. His promoter, Top Rank Inc., informed the WBO of Lomachenko’s choice to stay at 135 pounds, the division in which he stopped Jorge Linares in the 10th round May 12 to win the WBA world lightweight title.

The 30-year-old Lomachenko (11-1, 9 KOs) said in the immediate aftermath of his victory that he would weigh his options before deciding whether to stay at 135 pounds or move back down to compete in the 130-pound division.

The skillful Ukrainian southpaw is expected to return to the ring August 25 at The Forum in Inglewood, California. Promoter Bob Arum has mentioned WBO lightweight champion Ray Beltran (35-7-1, 21 KOs, 1 NC), who’s also promoted by Arum’s Top Rank, as a potential opponent.

Lomachenko became a three-division champion in just his 12th professional bout by beating Linares with a perfectly placed body shot 11 days ago at Madison Square Garden.

The two-time Olympic gold medalist won the WBO junior lightweight championship by knocking out Puerto Rico’s Rocky Martinez in the fifth round of their June 2016 bout in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. He defended that title four times before facing Venezuela’s Linares (44-4, 27 KOs).

Carl Moretti, Top Rank’s vice president of boxing operations, explained Lomachenko’s decision in a letter issued Wednesday to WBO president Francisco Valcarcel.

“I am writing you on behalf of Team Lomachenko,” Moretti wrote. “As you are well aware, on May 12 Vasiliy moved up in weight to challenge WBA Lightweight champion Jorge Linares. As you saw, he was successful in capturing the lightweight title. Vasiliy wishes to continue to campaign in the lightweight division, therefore, we respectfully relinquish our WBO Junior Lightweight title so that an opportunity may be given to the ranked contenders to compete for the vacant belt.”

Puerto Rico’s Christopher Diaz (23-0, 15 KOs), who’s ranked No. 1 by the WBO, and Japan’s Masayuki Ito (23-1-1, 12 KOs), who’s ranked No. 2, are expected to fight for the WBO junior lightweight crown Lomachenko relinquished July 28 in Kissimmee, Florida. Like Lomachenko, Diaz is promoted by Top Rank.
Lomachenko Gives Up WBO 130 Title, Remains at Lightweight - Boxing News

According to Robert Garcia, Arum contacted him to start negotiations for Loma, little Garcia. Let's see how Mikey gets himself out of this.

According to Robert Garcia, Arum contacted him to start negotiations for Loma, little Garcia. Let's see how Mikey gets himself out of this.

lol, I'm still wondering where the idea that Garcia is ducking everyone comes from. This is a little bizarre.

lol, I'm still wondering where the idea that Garcia is ducking everyone comes from. This is a little bizarre.
i think mostly from frustration of him not fighting any big fights. he's a name, he is obviously elite, and yet he fights guys way below his level.

he mentions people several weight classes above him as possible opponents, then beats on a nobody. i don't know if that's ducking, but he's a frustrating fighter to be a fan of.

Loma might be biting off a little more than he can chew with Mikey.

Loma will stop Mikey
The body work in that fight will be insane

Loma will stop Mikey
The body work in that fight will be insane

I think Mikey will beat Loma. If Loma comes to fight and pushes until the very end, I think he'll get stopped. But I think he'll give away the later rounds to avoid being stopped.

I think Mikey will beat Loma. If Loma comes to fight and pushes until the very end, I think he'll get stopped. But I think he'll give away the later rounds to avoid being stopped.

Interesting. I respect your opinion. I think Mikey is too rusty personally. He doesn't fight enough

Interesting. I respect your opinion. I think Mikey is too rusty personally. He doesn't fight enough

He doesn't fight enough, that's true. But I think we're talking about two great fighters and one of them is at least one weight class bigger.

Mikey is a guy that just walked through shots from a big 140 pounder in Adrian Broner (who really can punch hard at that weight and is even a decent welterweight puncher, regardless of how we feel about him). So I don't think Loma is going to have 1-punch power against a guy like Garcia, he'll have to wear him down over the long run. Mikey Garcia is a guy who is basically better at everything when compared to Linares (better feet, more power, higher IQ, better defense), and has a lot of championship-level experience.

I think he'll fight a very even-ish fight with Loma for the majority of the fight, but while landing more impactful punches due to his bigger size and superior firepower. Late in the fight, I think Loma will be forced to make the choice of taking the damage and trying to win, or or just riding it out and hoping for a decision. I think he'll fight it out and get hurt.

I put a lot more importance on what Mikey Garcia did against Broner than some other people, by the way. Broner is big, strong, fast fighter at 140. He can't hang with the top guys at welterweight, but he's no chump (as he showed against Vargas). The fact that Mikey Garcia moved up in weight and bullied and dominated Adrian Broner is very impressive to me.

do you see that because of his size, or do you expect him to outbox lomachenko?

because i honestly don't see anyone maintaining a consistent enough attack on him to put him away, he just doesn't get hit enough... and he hits plenty. but he is severely undersized for 135, and that does worry me.

do you see that because of his size, or do you expect him to outbox lomachenko?

because i honestly don't see anyone maintaining a consistent enough attack on him to put him away, he just doesn't get hit enough... and he hits plenty. but he is severely undersized for 135, and that does worry me.

You can read the post I made a few posts up for more details, but basically I think that Mikey Garcia is every bit the boxer that Loma is, and the deciding factor will be that he is bigger and stronger.

You can read the post I made a few posts up for more details, but basically I think that Mikey Garcia is every bit the boxer that Loma is, and the deciding factor will be that he is bigger and stronger.
yeah, i saw it the second i posted my own. good stuff.

i would agree that garcia is a special talent, and his ownage of broner was indeed a lot more impressive than people like to give credit for... namely because broner is an asshole. but while he's special, i don't think he's quite that special. i would call lomachenko the better boxer, but the size difference can close up the skill margin double quick.

they need to make this fight happen, it could be the career defining victory for either guy.

yeah, i saw it the second i posted my own. good stuff.

i would agree that garcia is a special talent, and his ownage of broner was indeed a lot more impressive than people like to give credit for... namely because broner is an asshole. but while he's special, i don't think he's quite that special. i would call lomachenko the better boxer, but the size difference can close up the skill margin double quick.

they need to make this fight happen, it could be the career defining victory for either guy.

I think it's one of the best 2 or 3 fights that can be made in all of boxing right now. It's a rare situation where you have two potentially special fighters and a clash of interesting (and entertaining) styles. I would not be super shocked is Loma was able to win, but I would definitely be incredibly impressed.

He doesn't fight enough, that's true. But I think we're talking about two great fighters and one of them is at least one weight class bigger.

Mikey is a guy that just walked through shots from a big 140 pounder in Adrian Broner (who really can punch hard at that weight and is even a decent welterweight puncher, regardless of how we feel about him). So I don't think Loma is going to have 1-punch power against a guy like Garcia, he'll have to wear him down over the long run. Mikey Garcia is a guy who is basically better at everything when compared to Linares (better feet, more power, higher IQ, better defense), and has a lot of championship-level experience.

I think he'll fight a very even-ish fight with Loma for the majority of the fight, but while landing more impactful punches due to his bigger size and superior firepower. Late in the fight, I think Loma will be forced to make the choice of taking the damage and trying to win, or or just riding it out and hoping for a decision. I think he'll fight it out and get hurt.

Well thought out response.

Loma carries his weight well. On Adrien I've watched him spar. He's talented but can't put it together. You may end up being right but I golf with Ken Garcia and he told me Miley looks like shit. They call him "Molly " and I am sure that you know why

Well thought out response.

Loma carries his weight well. On Adrien I've watched him spar. He's talented but can't put it together. You may end up being right but I golf with Ken Garcia and he told me Miley looks like shit. They call him "Molly " and I am sure that you know why

The one question I have about Mikey, which may be unfair, is that I don't really get the sense he is as dedicated to the sport as some other top fighters. He has to be fully dedicated to beat Loma, not slacking in (or before) camp.

Can't believe he's ducking Gervontae like this.

Back