Loma demonstrates techniques to young British boxers

Senpai teaches a few tricks of his trade

Nice. Some good little tricks he gave out there. It wasn't entirely clear when he described his pivoting technique, I would have liked a longer explanation for that.

Nice. Some good little tricks he gave out there. It wasn't entirely clear when he described his pivoting technique, I would have liked a longer explanation for that.
I was hoping he would demonstrate a few more things he likes to do. The guard manipulation (glove pull/hand trap) I figured he'd show but he didn't show the guard pinning with the forearm (what he did with a simultaneous step and left hand to the liver against Linares). He used it in the amateurs too and against Gary Russell Jr. Using the lead glove to obstruct an opponent's vision (just keeping it in their face briefly) is what he'll show from time to time (against Sosa off the top of my head). The lead hand fencing twirl-like parry he showed can deflect jabs and crosses. There's a detailed video out there showing him doing it in some fights when he was still a Featherweight.

I was hoping he would demonstrate a few more things he likes to do. The guard manipulation (glove pull/hand trap) I figured he'd show but he didn't show the guard pinning with the forearm (what he did with a simultaneous step and left hand to the liver against Linares). He used it in the amateurs too and against Gary Russell Jr. Using the lead glove to obstruct an opponent's vision (just keeping it in their face briefly) is what he'll show from time to time (against Sosa off the top of my head). The lead hand fencing twirl-like parry he showed can deflect jabs and crosses. There's a detailed video out there showing him doing it in some fights when he was still a Featherweight.
Yeah I like the guard pin with the forearm, similar to what Mayweather does. And the lead hand parrying he does a lot of. One thing I did note is that he said he can pivot to both sides but in fights, he almost always pivots to the right so he gets outside his orthodox opponent.

When he mentioned the wrong way to pivot and said many boxers tend to do this I immediately thought about Adamek.

An honor to learn from him. Lucky kids right there.

An honor to learn from him. Lucky kids right there.
You just got me thinking. How good would Loma be as a coach? I think he'd be great, he seems to have a good ability to explain what he does. I hope his English continues to get better. He seems like a perfectionist so I can only imagine that he is working hard on his English.

Back