Loma’s Team Calls for Pacquiao fight at 135lbs

Wanderlei4Life

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
In the aftermath of Manny Pacquiao's knockout win over Lucas Matthysse, talk has immediately turned to a possible showdown between Pacquaio and Vasyl Lomachenko, a dream matchup that would pit arguably the top pound-for-pound fighter in the world in Lomachenko against an opponent, Pacquiao, who once held that title.

On Saturday, Pacquiao picked up a secondary welterweight title. Lomachenko is the lightweight champion. If Pacquiao wants to fight Lomachenko, he will have to come down to 135-pounds, Lomachenko's manager, Egis Klimas, told Yahoo Sports.

"We have no interest [in moving up]," Klimas said. "If Pacquiao can make 135, to come in and compete for [Lomachenko's] WBA title, Vasyl is the champion in that weight class, it’s a possibility. If we are talking 137 [pounds] and 136, no, there will be no catch weight. If he wants to challenge, he needs to come down. We are not looking to go to 140 pounds. If Manny Pacquiao wants to fight Lomachenko, he can make 135 pounds."

Pacquaio has not fought at 135-pounds since 2008.

Klimas says he has had casual discussions with Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank, about a Pacquiao-Lomachenko fight, and he has told them the same thing.

"They were talking about 137, 138, and I don’t think we’re interested in even a half pound higher," Klimas said. "Lomachenko has his own strategy. He and his team has their own desires and the road they want to go. We just jumped from 126 to 130 to 135. Any higher, it's not his weight. I think the whole boxing world saw that [135-pounds] was enough."

Even if Pacquiao committed to making 135-pounds, the location of a Pacquiao-Lomachenko fight could be challenging. Pacquiao's tax issues have made fighting in the U.S. problematic, and Klimas made it clear Lomachenko would never fight in Malaysia, where Pacquaio defeated Matthysse, or the Philippines, Pacquiao's home country.

"How about Kiev, Ukraine?" Klimas joked, referencing Lomachenko's home country.

Klimas added if a neutral site, like Dubai, could be identified, Lomachenko could be open to that.

Via Chris Mannix Facebook

Who do these guys think they are?

Manny is the A side here and will dictate terms.

Loma felt Linares power at 135 and is afraid of the legend’s power.

There's something mildly comical about Loma trying to dictate terms of a fight with Pacquiao.
These kids have lost their minds.

Honestly pac looked good in his last outing so if he’s going to fight the golden boy why not drain him and try and messy up the negotiations as early as possible

There's something mildly comical about Loma trying to dictate terms of a fight with Pacquiao.
These kids have lost their minds.

Loma doesnt need this fight to secure his legacy though...and pac doesnt need Loma. Loma needs his career protected more than Manny and Manny needs his bank account protected more than any of all of this it seems!

Moving up again would not be good for Loma....

Loma doesnt need this fight to secure his legacy though...and pac doesnt need Loma. Loma needs his career protected more than Manny and Manny needs his bank account protected more than any of all of this it seems!

How would losing to Pacquiao effect Loma's legacy/career? There is no shame in losing to a legend and if Pacquiao lost the fight there is no shame in losing to the next big thing...

Shades of Oscar fighting Pac...except in reverse.

How would losing to Pacquiao effect Loma's legacy/career? There is no shame in losing to a legend and if Pacquiao lost the fight there is no shame in losing to the next big thing...

I agree with you- but many casuals dont. It is no secret that modern boxing fans seem to relish that perfect 'O' record...or as close to it as can be.

If Loma wins critics will say he beat a legend out of his prime
If Manny wins critics will say Loma was all hype and got beat by an old legend

the fuck does that even mean?

lomachenko is small for 135, and thankfully isn't trying to move further up. did i miss a memo, and lomachenko is required by law to fight pacman next? arum wants to make that fight, and if anyone above 135 wants to fight lomachenko, they're welcome to drop the weight and fight him.

what a dense thing to say, for fuck's sake. is manny afraid of canelo's power? why doesn't he fight him at 160 then?

the fuck does that even mean?

lomachenko is small for 135, and thankfully isn't trying to move further up. did i miss a memo, and lomachenko is required by law to fight pacman next? arum wants to make that fight, and if anyone above 135 wants to fight lomachenko, they're welcome to drop the weight and fight him.

what a dense thing to say, for fuck's sake. is manny afraid of canelo's power? why doesn't he fight him at 160 then?

Honestly just liked your post because of the distaste presented in your sentences. It is sometimes hard to let people on the internet know what you think of their opinion, but you did a fucking great job.

394.jpg

Honestly just liked your post because of the distaste presented in your sentences. It is sometimes hard to let people on the internet know what you think of their opinion, but you did a fucking great job.

why thank you, kind sir.

Before the Matthysse fight, Justin Fortune said that Pacquiao still has to eat his way up to 147 and that he could have Pacquiao at 135 in 4 weeks.

If that's the case, Pacquiao should go down to 135 and knock Loma around the ring. I honestly think Pacquiao is a bad matchup for Loma.

Pacs legs wont last long enough to get to Loma imo.

He gets diced up in the second half of the fight.

Pac reminded me a lot of 2013 Belfort. Loma will kick his ass if they fight in the USA.

Pac doesn't have to do a damn thing. Would love to see their styles against eachother prime for prime, but right now it'd be Pac/Oscar all over again.

He doesn't need it but clearly the option has been there for some time. In such negotiations Loma can't really call for any contract stipulations

I think Pac would beat up Loma. Pac isn't shot the way Oscar was shot when he fought Pac IMO.

If Pacquiao wants to fight for the lightweight title he has to be a lightweight. 135 lbs it is.

I agree with you- but many casuals dont. It is no secret that modern boxing fans seem to relish that perfect 'O' record...or as close to it as can be.

Regardless of any of this, you just put a fucking letter where a number should be, that shit is only done when you making passwords!!

Back