LOL Ford

Why is that funny? An American company makes a smart business move and it’s “LOL”.

they are basically giving up on the NA market since their sedans are shit.. they are conceding the market to european, japanese and korean automakers.. that's pathetic..

Toyota Hilux, a wildly popular vehicle worldwide but....

https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-I-own-a-Toyota-Hilux-in-America

Why can't I own a Toyota Hilux in America?

Basically, there is something called Chicken tax.

This tax is a 25% tariff on four goods– potato starch, dextrin, brandy, and light trucks.

That's right, no chickens. Actually it's called chicken tax in retaliation to France and West Germany taxing the import of US chickens.

Due to this extremely high tariff fee, car manufacturers are basically forced to produce all of their light trucks inside of the US*. The Hilux is considered a light truck so America is deprived of this gem of a vehicle.

This causes our trucks to be vastly different than the rest of the trucks seen worldwide.

*Like any true corporation, these giants are scouring the law for loopholes. The Ford Transit Connect is shipped with a special interior that allows it to be classified as a passenger vehicle. The interior is removed after importation to the US and the vehicles is turned back into a light truck. Yay loopholes.
We have them here they're just better versions imo. They are called Tacoma's here in the us

What's with all of the pussies who throw tantrums due to other people driving large cars? If they're insecure then what are you?
I see that I have hit a nerve.

Looks at thread title:

SoulfulClumsyJapanesebeetle-size_restricted.gif

Opens thread:

https://media.giphy.com/media/:eek::eek::eek:vFsTHxXd96/giphy.gif

they are basically giving up on the NA market since their sedans are shit.. they are conceding the market to european, japanese and korean automakers.. that's pathetic..

lol the way you’re talking is like you’re Henry Ford incarnate, running a multinational vehicle conglomerate.

Ford is also declining in its other largest market - China. Maybe it is a smart decision to focus on regaining its international market and being a leaner company in the future.

on a different note, are Ford's north america woes related to a generational shift in car ownership? younger consumers have stagnant or declining car ownership rates. perhaps ford should target older consumers and the features people want in later life.

for what it's worth, I have a ford focus at the office. it's okay but there are probably better cars for the price

i remember the good old days when i bought a ford ranger for 11k out the door

The new ranger is like 30-40k

Holy shit this thread just shows how batshit crazy the Trump haters are... none of this has a single fucking thing to do with Trump. Ford states that people aren't buying cars, but instead are buying SUV's and trucks, and in turn they are going to focus on that market rather than lose money making cars people don't want to buy. None of this has anything to do with Trump.

You are somewhat on track but Trumps relaxing the emissions and corporate mileage requirements made it possible to quit selling those higher mileage vehicles. Also Ford producing some hybrid vehicles up their corporate fuel economy so they don't need the cars.

It might have been wise to wait until now to get into the electric vehicle market as they will still have the $7,500 tax credit after Toyota, GM and Tesla meet the target. If Trump drops the tax credit it might backfire on Ford.

Nobody is buying the cars, what does that have to do with Trump? He really has a power over some of you haha.

"what does that have to do with trump."

yea, the issue is, you could say that about all sorts of manufacturing issues. but when its a blanket statement of "im going to bring manufacturing back," then it sounds good and plausible to some of you. lots of those jobs dont exist ANYWHERE anymore.

What's funny is that we just gave them a massive tax cut less than a decade after we bailed them out entirely.

EDIT: Never mind, I guess they are just pulling the sedans from the North American market.

Did Ford take part in the bailout? I thought they didn't.

I thought with the Trump tax plans, all these companies were going to stay. I read 80% of the tax savings money is going overseas. Sure glad Trump bumped up the deficit 2 trillion since he has been in office.
#MAGA.

I think we can at least say Trump tried. If you are going to shit on that then just list your accomplishments. At least he is not trying to actively shut shit down and trying to keep businesses here.

"what does that have to do with trump."

yea, the issue is, you could say that about all sorts of manufacturing issues. but when its a blanket statement of "im going to bring manufacturing back," then it sounds good and plausible to some of you. lots of those jobs dont exist ANYWHERE anymore.

Really???? Things just magically fucking appear now???

i remember the good old days when i bought a ford ranger for 11k out the door

The new ranger is like 30-40k

Wow... Are Rangers really that high now? I bought a brand new Ranger about 10 years ago for roughly 14K.

Yeah I don't think if that is a wise move or effort with Ford.

What if the market for some odd reason starts souring on big vehicles again? Then Ford will lose a shit load of money cause it'll have inventory it cannot sell and they'll be stuck.

I really don't understand the perception that this is a sign of trouble for Ford. For the last three years they have made record profits. They have hired tens of thousands employees in the last five years. Had no major lay offs, and run their truck plants At full capacity.

They simply saw the glut in the sedan market where their profits were not as big as they are in crossovers and SUV's. Its a smart business move. Especially with the new Bronco and Ranger coming out soon. They retooled the plants which quit making cars to make these. Which will probably result in highering more employees since these models undoubtedly will sell more than the cars.

Yeah I don't think if that is a wise move or effort with Ford.

What if the market for some odd reason starts souring on big vehicles again? Then Ford will lose a shit load of money cause it'll have inventory it cannot sell and they'll be stuck.
As opposed to having a large inventory of sedans that already aren't selling? Again Ford is making a killing on trucks and SUV's. These small cars are already being made else where and could be imported until they retooled plants. It is a gamble and they would suffer for a little while if gas prices spiked but you give the market what it wants.

so they're going to stop selling cars in north america, that people aren't buying.

how did you figure this was warroom thread worthy, or thread worthy at all?

People are buying them, they just don't make very much money on them.

I'd say it's great news for Toyota, Kia, and Honda - possibly not so great news for lower income families and possibly Ford itself in the long run - I know families that own only Ford or only Chevy (it's an our team kind of thing)

Back