Lol @ 86% of Sherdog picking Barnett

Barnett is not on the same level as Browne. More experience, yes, but he's never fought this kind of athlete before. I have honestly never seen such a lopsided opinion in favor of the guy I knew was going to lose. I'm truly baffled at how many people are underestimating Hapa.

Browne by KO, R2

So you think Barnett isn't on the same level as Browne because Browne is more athletic? :icon_lol:

I thought to dispute it, but it's not worth arguing to a Grammar Nazianz about, correct or incorrect.

As a grammar Nazi, he should be glad I brought him back into line. Assuming he sees the light, he can be pure again. lol

While I think there is some credence to the newer guard besting the older guard these days, the wear and tear Barnett's endured and his fighting style, I think, gives him more staying power. Sure Browne has a puncher's chance, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure what he brings to the table that would pose a problem

Well said. I hate using the term a punchers chance, but in this fight it's mostly what I give Browne. So it's fitting.

Barnett will take him down and I believe that he will get subbe'd. Yes Browne is 15-1, and he is not bad I just think that Barnett will run over him.

Dude, how is that such a bad thing? Do you not realize how good Big Nog was in his prime? Did you even watch these fights or are you as new as your join date suggests?

You should pretty much never bring up join date as if it is relevant to any discussion. Ever.

Jesus fuck, TS Did you just start watching teh UFCZ last year?
Barnett is a sneaky, crafty bastard with deceptively good striking and a ground game that gives anyone and everyone in the HW division a run for their money. There is no one who fights like that dude. He's just a violent savage. 500 says Browne can't handle the pressure. He'll fold. Puncher's chance. Sure he's athletic and big, but he's nowhere near as strong as Josh Barnett. He's going to put him on his ASS and put him to sleep. End of story.

TS, post your betting slip to show us how much you wagered on Browne if you're so sure. I can see this going either way myself. Barnett is rightly the favorite and I'm probably going to wager on him. But I can see an athletic and improving Browne getting an upset victory.

You should pretty much never bring up join date as if it is relevant to any discussion. Ever.

In this matter, I disagree. I would agree with you if I was trying to be demeaning as if to say "You can't know anything because you're new" or something like that. I wasn't trying to be demeaning though. I was legitimately asking because to imply that Barnett isn't a top heavyweight is either a) ignorance due to not having watched many of Barnett's fights over the years, or b) stupidity. I was asking about join date because, love him or hate him, pretty much everyone who has followed this sport for a significant length of time realizes that Barnett is a damn good fighter whereas someone who has watched the sport for a year or so may not know because they've only seen his last few fights.

Lol @ Travis Browne having anything for Barnett. He looked absolutely wretched against Alistair until he gassed himself then Browne frantically spammed front kicks out of fear and desperation. Barnett will out box him, take him down at will and sub him with a head and arm.

In this matter, I disagree. I would agree with you if I was trying to be demeaning as if to say "You can't know anything because you're new" or something like that. I wasn't trying to be demeaning though. I was legitimately asking because to imply that Barnett isn't a top heavyweight is either a) ignorance due to not having watched many of Barnett's fights over the years, or b) stupidity. I was asking about join date because, love him or hate him, pretty much everyone who has followed this sport for a significant length of time realizes that Barnett is a damn good fighter whereas someone who has watched the sport for a year or so may not know because they've only seen his last few fights.

The thought that he might not be as good as reported since he was fighting so long out of the UFC is not an illegitimate perspective. The guy wasn't saying he was a hack, just that people may be overrating him. I think the guy's words were, he didn't understand why people were considering him 'such a monster.'

Anyway, regardless of context, join date should never even be discussed in terms of being a credential for having an opinion. It doesn't matter if you are talking to a white belt of a black belt.

I was at Cobo Arena for Shamrock/Severn back in 1996. My whole point is that Barnett hasn't fought top comp in a long time and bringing up fights from ten years ago are not relevant today.

Lol @ Travis Browne having anything for Barnett. He looked absolutely wretched against Alistair until he gassed himself then Browne frantically spammed front kicks out of fear and desperation. Barnett will out box him, take him down at will and sub him with a head and arm.

Because spamming front kicks was such a bad idea... as proven by the outcome. It must have just been from desperation, not as a legit tactic. lol

Yes, he won against the Reem because of the known stamina issues, but most people that beat Reem take advantage of that... It doesn't invalidate the win.

That said, I picked Barnett but I bet for Browne to win just because they were decent odds.

Barnett by GnP in the 2nd, Browne will learn a lot from the beating and come back a better fighter.

Barnett is the better fighter by a solid margin. Browne has a shot, but he's not quite on Barnett's level. Unless Barnett gets old fast, he has the technique, all around skills, toughness and enough athletic ability to handle Browne anywhere. Browne may be the superior athlete, but he's just not the superior fighter. It's not like he doesn't have a chance to win, he might even pull it off, but Barnett is a clear favorite for many reasons. And as for Barnett not fighting the kind of "athlete" that Browne is before, he fought Daniel Cormier who is another planet as an athlete than Browne.

Josh Barnett will walk through Travis Browne in the most lop-sided fight between two top 10 guys in the history of the UFC.

Barnett is not on the same level as Browne. More experience, yes, but he's never fought this kind of athlete before. I have honestly never seen such a lopsided opinion in favor of the guy I knew was going to lose. I'm truly baffled at how many people are underestimating Hapa.

Browne by KO, R2

"This kind of athlete"? "I knew"? Yeah, whatever, it's Christmas...

Barnett has stood with and subbed Aleksander Emelianenko and Sergei Kharitonov. You think Travis Browne has anything for him? You gotta be kidding me.

Because spamming front kicks was such a bad idea... as proven by the outcome. It must have just been from desperation, not as a legit tactic. lol

Yes, he won against the Reem because of the known stamina issues, but most people that beat Reem take advantage of that... It doesn't invalidate the win.

That said, I picked Barnett but I bet for Browne to win just because they were decent odds.

I never said it was a bad idea, it obviously won him the fight. However at that point Overeem was so gassed you could have flicked him with your finger and finished him, spamming front kicks was because he was too scared to close distance even against a severely gassed opponent.

Back