LOGAN LUCKY [Not a Wolverine Movie] (93% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen LOGAN LUCKY, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
it was good.

It was a stupid movie, but the kind of stupid I would prefer to see than the kind of stupid Hollywood puts out.

Imagine Oceans 11 without everyone trying to be cool; instead, they focus on playing average people.

Steven Soderbergh allegedly retired from making movies back in 2013. His plan was likely complicated and full of caveats, but "retirement" was the general gist. Now, though, the guy just keeps making movies: he's got Logan Lucky out next month, and as Variety reports, a whole other second movie tentatively called Unsane. The whole movie is in the can, apparently....

1264123_unsane.jpg

...having been shot in secret on an iPhone with actors Juno Temple and Claire Foy. No official plot details are available yet, but this could be a movie Soderbergh hinted at during a recent Reddit AMA - a film hitting similar subject material as Side Effects. The title certainly seems to support that hypothesis.

Soderbergh's project follows in the secret-movie tradition set by Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing and David Lowery's A Ghost Story. Movies made in secret are a fascinating phenomenon, and we could all benefit from more of them.

Logan Lucky releases on August 18; Soderbergh also has a project called Mosaic over at HBO, starring Sharon Stone and a "choose-your-own-adventure" narrative format. Busy man.

For what it's worth -'Unsane' is also the name of a great band.

Well, at least, I dig'em

For what it's worth -'Unsane' is also the name of a great band.

Well, at least, I dig'em
I've been looking for good music. Thanks.

EDIT: Jesus Christ. Do you recommend anything other than "Against the Grain" and "East Broadway?"

Last edited:
The fact that you need to put "not a wolverine movie" not once but twice is pretty hilarious

Like are people really going to confuse this with a wolverine movie cause Logan is in the title? If they do they are idiots

I'm going back tonight. I need to see the bear scene that I have 0 recollection of.

Damn I still can't remember. I can't find a screenshot or clip to refresh my memory either. I must've been really thinking of something else in that moment. Sucks, I'm gonna have to go watch it again.
It was real quick, maybe 5 seconds , easy to miss

I went and saw it today. It was aaight but nothing more than that.

I really liked the trailer so I was hoping for something great here, but it ultimately felt like a movie that just didn't quite work. Like, there were scenes that would play out and I'd be sitting there thinking, "I feel like this SHOULD be entertaining, but I just don't for some reason." It's as if there was the kernel of a good idea there but ultimately the execution failed.

Like, I can recognize the attempts at humor, but I rarely laughed or was even particularly amused. And one of the biggest problems is that the heist plan is just way too detailed to suspend disbelief and believe that everything just went so perfectly.

Also, the ending is confusing and I didn't totally get it.

Someone on one of my movie podcasts said that it felt "like someone was trying to copy the Coen brothers, but didn't have the talent to actually pull it off." I think I can go with that.

There is one strong suit though: The performances are great across the board, sans one - Hilary Swank. I'm not quite sure what in the hell she's trying to do in this film, but it's weird. Daniel Craig is great and it's nice to see him do something other than Bond.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I HATED the movie, it's more than I was just bored by it. I was expecting more.

6.5/10

I dug it a lot. It's not laugh out loud funny, yet I did. And in more places than in films that tried to be funnier.

It's in the vein of HITMAN'S BODYGUARD, BABY DRIVER, THE NICE GUYS, and of course OCEANS 11 -- and again plays toward Soderbergh's playful penchant from breaking the fourth wall. Just as the OCEANS world supposedly exists in the real world (with Tess masquerading as the actual Julia Roberts, and having to deal with a fictionalized Bruce Willis), LOGAN LUCKY subversively exists in the "real world" again by calling itself out as "OCEANS 7-11." I like how Soderbergh plays fast and loose with the audience's suspension of disbelief because he always makes it look good.

It has a lot of fun with itself and if you like southern charm -- which is almost as particular as Australian charm -- you should like this movie. I loved the low gear that everyone's operating on, which makes the moments that reveal quick-wittedness so endearing, one of my favorite hallmarks of the South. Although, I'm willing to bet the accents are a little suspect. I'm not just talking about Daniel Craig the Brit, whom you'd kind of expect to have either the best or the worst accent, but I think everyone was drawing from a different location of the Storybook South.

Personality-wise each character follows the formula of the fun-time Shane Black vehicle: quirky semi-loners who march to the beat of a seriously different drum but are essentially good folk deep down inside, forced to work together while still maintaining their own agendas (almost in spite of each other) and eventually resolving their differences in hilariously confrontational fashion. They seem realer than your average stock character, which complements the comedy, even when it gets slapsticky. Comedy's always better with a dose of reality to even it out, but LOGAN LUCKY never gets too serious or too dangerous or even too difficult.

It's really light fare, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I never thought I'd say this, but I've become a fan of Channing Tatum (not just from this film, tho).

Really enjoy this movie. One of my go to movies whenever I want to relax and kill some time.

The only thing I would change is the use of "Fortunate Son" AKA the most hackneyed song ever used in film to this:

this is on my amazon prime watchlist maybe I will watch it today.

Back