Lloyd Irvin Hate

ShogunStomp

White Belt
Reaction score
So I really don't follow the Grappling world but from what I read on here there is a lot of hate for him, however also from what I read he seems legit. Why the hate?

I dont think people hate on his results, nor his teaching methods...just his marketing methods.

Everyone can agree, the man is a genius and he produces some good grapplers.

Maybe because Im not on his mailing list..but can anyone explain to me what exactly does he do thats so annoying? The only thing Ive heard is that he sends numerous of emails, is that what bothers people so much?

From someone who is from the area, I can tell you one knock on him is he has had a past of taking some of his great students from other places, which may not be so much of a knock on the guy as a compliment I suppose. I also think the guy has actually not brought up a lot of his top level BB from the beginning with the exception of Fowler.

But hey this is all probably wrong and I'm sure someone will tell me something else.

I personally think the guy gets it done when it comes to tournaments and what not but I also think there's more to BJJ then just competition.

I think he just makes BJJ into too much of a business.

Maybe because Im not on his mailing list..but can anyone explain to me what exactly does he do thats so annoying? The only thing Ive heard is that he sends numerous of emails, is that what bothers people so much?

Well he is pretty aggressive in his marketing.

I think people just are used to BJJ being approached differently when in reality Lloyd was probably just one of the first guys to market it much like many TKD and other successful MA programs have done. But now you see a lot of other organizations doing the same thing. It's a numbers game and people can try to say that this business should be run a certain way but it's a business and people need to make a living off this. I mean everyone gives Lloyd crap but then very few are willing to stand up and criticize how a guy like Ricardo Liborio practically sells his name for a few hundred $. How is what Lloyd does any worse then what Liborio does in being able to become an affiliate of his?

No, really. See the FAQ. The mods made it so people like you wouldn't start threads like this.

I'll even copy and paste it here for your convenience:

22. Is Lloyd Irvin/Ryan Hall legit? Or does he suck?

Lloyd Irvin has possibly the most obnoxious marketing system known to man. That said, everybody agrees he has produced some superb BJJ competitors in relatively short time -- Mike Fowler being his best. Lloyd's top students have essentially dedicated their lives to training BJJ, however, and it seems doubtful they would have fared any less well under other BJJ black belts with that much dedication. Lloyd Irvin himself has a very good, but not sensational, competition record.

Lloyd's student Ryan Hall is one of the most successful young American BJJ competitors. Despite Ryan's substantial participation in the Irvin's annoying marketing schemes, most everybody who has met him has a positive impression. Plus, he's very fun to watch compete, and has gotten some great competition results.

In summary, Lloyd Irvin is certainly legit as a BJJ teacher, but his marketing borders on intolerable for most.

So its mainly because he treats BJJ like a tma? I can understand why people would hate that..but then again, look at how Rorion is with the Gracie name. You gotta make that money some how

He's a great instructor and business man. Produces great guys and always emphasizes drilling and hard work. That said he pitches a hard sell it's just annoying.

Is it the over excessive emails, what he sends or how he pitches it that annoys you?

I thought this thread said "Lloyd Irvin Hats". And I wasn't terribly shocked.

Lloyd Irvin's marketing has helped many hardworking legit martial artists go from the break of bankrupcy to earning a respectable living. His work should be applauded as loudly as possible.

Lloyd Irvin's marketing has helped many hardworking legit martial artists go from the break of bankrupcy to earning a respectable living. His work should be applauded as loudly as possible.

Em, all right. I don't know that martial artists really have anything coming to them. Either you are a fighter or teacher making money because you are very good or not. I don't think everyone who is passionate about martial arts deserves to be making money or living their dream of doing martial arts or whatever. At the end of the day you are one lucky fucker if you get to make any money doing what so many of us love, it's not something you are entitled to.

Shameless marketing schemes may be effective in this regard, but I don't think it's something to praise. It's not as if it's feeding the real poor people who have to work the shitty real jobs. I won't feel bad for people who aren't making all the money they could at my dream job.

*walks away confident that this post will cause no harm*

Whene you go to a tourmnent you are Irving team , even though you never train under him and are just a affliate school! If you go to "crazy 88" or "ivy league " you have to compete under a baner of a guy you have no assoation with other than the marketing shit. And there schools lie (crazy 88) claims to be 1# in the country last year who are they???? When questioned about this the responce was "loyde Irving "was !

Loyde took in a bunch of Out Casts from other schools ! He is the bodem feader BJJ.

How I know this is from what I was told at there schools ! If I'm wrong why do 88 and Ivy tell you this right from the start ? Ives and Jullian where kicked out of alamedia BJJ at Renzo request ! And if. Loyde is so great why are they all so quick to link there name to Renzo? Like that makes Them ligit !

Back