Living in New York

I really don't understand why people are getting into arguments about whichever place is better to live in, or whether it's better to drive or take public transport. It obviously depends on the person. Too many people in this thread are defensive because someone else doesn't prefer his or her ideal on how and where to live. People are different. Crazy, I know.

NYC threads are hilarious because it's the unique case where you have a city that is pretty much unlike any other city in the world thus and many people who do not live there don't understand the intangible reasons why people would live there thus attempt to do stupid shit like post how much their mortgage is in some weird attempt to compare an apple to an orange.

Its like some asshole bragging he paid $500 for front row seats to a Bellator show while you paid $600 for nose bleeds at a UFC card.

I would think if you commuted from Jersey it would be a lot cheaper then living in NYC itself.

I live in a non ghetto part of Brooklyn, it ain't no fancy park slope or anything but the rent is half or a third of what you'd pay in Manhattan for a comparable space

I would get a job in "waste management." Heard they pay good.
tumblr_mpbbivZmtR1ra4ssmo1_400.gif

I have roomates. Its the only way i can do it right now,unless i could find a cheap studio.I live in a nice enough area. It does make me weep to see how cheap it is elsewhere tho.

I have roomates. Its the only way i can do it right now,unless i could find a cheap studio.I live in a nice enough area. It does make me weep to see how cheap it is elsewhere tho.
yo i keep forgetting where you at, queens?

I moved to queens in 2014,but i moved back to bk in sept
i heard its more affordable in queens nowadays actually. depends on commute i suppose. my current job is in downtown so commute from bk is much betta than say, midtown

i heard its more affordable in queens nowadays actually. depends on commute i suppose. my current job is in downtown so commute from bk is much betta than say, midtown
its slightly cheaper in queens.im def paying more in Bk but i am very happy with the location and my commute to ny is quick.

I live in a non ghetto part of Brooklyn, it ain't no fancy park slope or anything but the rent is half or a third of what you'd pay in Manhattan for a comparable space

Been looking at the first floor of a house in Dyker Heights for $2800. I miss renting an apartment for 700 bucks.

FWIW me and my wife could afford one of those $3,000 a month plus apartments deep in Manhattan and get by taking trains every where.. but I'd most likely have to give up my car..

Not worth it IMO. We like the freedom of having a car and not worrying about where to park it every night. We both work in the city but save a lot of money living in Westchester and commuting in. We can still hang out in the city easily whenever we wish as well.

Yes we don't have a view of a city skyline but we don't give a shit. Apartments with a view are seriously overrated.

Owning a car in the city is murder. I prefer public transportation or taxi

Owning a car in the city is murder. I prefer public transportation or taxi

I remember the parking place across the street was $600/mo parking. That was the equivalent of a lease on a very nice car at the time (2000).

I always thought that it's a nightmare in NY to commute to work, but if I read at your posts, seems like 40-45mn average which is not that much...

I travel from France to Luxembourg everyday and spend average 45mn to join my workplace, my wife worked in another location in Lux and spend av 50mn-1H ( both by car)

Queens/brooklyns&NY suburb in general are really not that bad...
Even the rents, they are expensive for sure, but not much worst than Paris/London/Geneva or even Luxembourg

I remember the parking place across the street was $600/mo parking. That was the equivalent of a lease on a very nice car at the time (2000).
iirc, $57/day for the one in the FiDi

Do they still do the "$29 for the first 1/2 hr" schtick?

No idea. I got rid of my car last year and won't get a new one until it's an S class and I can park it in my own driveway.

Back