Little known awesome striking styles, can you name some more?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Burmese boxing, my personal fav, they are real warriors!

Lei Tai no holds barred Chinese fighting

Kudo Karate Judo mix

Savate

Yes sumo has striking too looks pancraise like

Last edited:
If it isn't boxing or Mauy Thai it is not awesome or in any way legit. In fact if it is not either of those two amazing arts, then it is bullshido.

If it isn't boxing or Mauy Thai it is not awesome or in any way legit. In fact if it is not either of those two amazing arts, then it is bullshido.

Muay Thai sucks. They spend all their time kicking coconut trees and shit, and by the time they're retired they can hardly walk.

@OP

Glíma is neat. It's an Icelandic martial art preserved since the Viking Age. It's essentially fighting and grappling with traditional Viking weapons.

I take it you know this from experience?

Bajiquan is super interesting, although somewhat hampered by the Chinese gong fu culture where they don't spar very much. Same with xingyiquan. Lots of cool stuff in there that could be applied super well in a non-compliant setting, but they have a bit of an issue with the idea of freely sparring.

Bajiquan is super interesting, although somewhat hampered by the Chinese gong fu culture where they don't spar very much. Same with xingyiquan. Lots of cool stuff in there that could be applied super well in a non-compliant setting, but they have a bit of an issue with the idea of freely sparring.

surprised that hasnt got in at least somewhere I mean even the Lei Tai looks mostly like sanda and tiny gloves no /very limited rules, why do they always use a more primitive sport like way of fighting?

in the west no one uses it in MMA depsite a massive amount of people knowing its good

@OP

Glíma is neat. It's an Icelandic martial art preserved since the Viking Age. It's essentially fighting and grappling with traditional Viking weapons.

Glima is belt grappling similar to sumo (but without the weight requirement, and wearing more clothing) -or any of a large number of similar belt grappling sports all over the world (sumo just happening to be the most well known and...most eye catching).
Basically two guys grab hold of each other by the belt and the first to touch the ground with anything but his feet have lost. There is not all that much viking weapons involved.

most muay thai folks know of lethwei, its just muay thai with headbutts. Good stuff. art of 9 limbs lol. Savate is good stuff as well. Kyokushin is not known very well, and even if you know of it, I dont think there are many, if any legit kyokushin gyms in the states? if so I would like to go to one.

Heres one most folks havent heard of, Bokator. Its cambodian style of fighting. im not a fan of it.

There are some super awesome tricks from Okinawa style karate that I'd love to see tried in MMA. Stuff like Uechi Ryu's toe kicks and kote uchi could have a place in the cage, for example. Genki Sudo has apparently said that the kicks from traditional Uechi stylists were the most painful he'd ever experienced.

Back