List MMA fighters that retired before they declined

Ebersol was a awkward style and beast of a fighter. There's a perfect example of staying around too long. He was doing great, then after a shit load of fights, age crept up and he knew it. Talked about retiring but didn't, wanted to go out on a win. The losses piled up.
Wasn’t he going to drop to LW then took another short notice fight at WW and got whooped on and then all down hill from there?
I liked him because he was super wild .

If you see Lima beat Rory its hard for his MMA legacy to not live strong on its own grounds.

Regardless he leaves a legacy as the greatest fighter to ever be blacklisted by the UFC. Not the legacy one would probably choose to have but its still something that I think will leave him in conversations for years to come.

Beating 1 or 2 significant fighters means nothing though. He never continuously took on the best. Yes, he has some good wins, I’m not downplaying that he absolutely smoked all of the comp for the most part throughout his career. BUT, he also didn’t face a murderers row of competition.

That’s like saying Sokodjou will always have a legacy in MMA because he beat Arona + Lil Nog (most newer fans literally have never heard of the guy).

My Honey had won 6 of her last 7 fights before she retired:

giphy.gif

That’s like saying Sokodjou will always have a legacy in MMA because he beat Arona + Lil Nog (most newer fans literally have never heard of the guy).

Way too many loses to be comparable. If he beat Arona + Lil Nog, never lost, and fought weak competition the rest of his time while being blackballed by the ufc in his prime i'd say then it would be comparable.

With that said... How disappointing of a career after a great start. Although he has fought many of the best of the best.

N
My guy Ben Askren is retiring this week and it is depressing me.

I guess I get spared of the decline that many other fans have to deal with; but its still tough as a fan.

So besides the Funky GOAT who else managed to leave the sport before they tarnished their legacy?

Would have said GSP but that's possibly no longer going to be the case.
NOT SANCHEZ

forrest left before he started getting thrashed

he left when he was prob still top 10, probably 8-10 imo

GSP has definitely declined, even before his hiatus. No way you can go through the shredded knees he has, especially with being the type of fighter he is, and not deteriorate.

He's just such a good fighter that he finds ways to adapt and compensate for it. GOAT.

EDIT: Rumble Johnson is definitely the best answer, imo. As of right now, anyway. Time will tell if he stays retired.

I was trying to be ironic.
But if we're going to post pics of brother Ken, let's do him justice and post Ken the legend, aka baddest man on the planet. Not over the hill, deluded Ken. He was great once.
Shamrock.jpg

But if we're going to post pics of brother Ken, let's do him justice and post Ken the legend, aka baddest man on the planet. Not over the hill, deluded Ken. He was great once.
Shamrock.jpg

Absolutely ken is a cool dude.
I talk to him on Facebook from time to time.

Absolutely ken is a cool dude.
I talk to him on Facebook from time to time.
Er, really??? How do you do that, just friend him on Facebook? I would love to chat with Ken ( don't tell him I said he was deluded)

One other great fighter that retired at the top of his game was TJ Grant. Was on a great win streak after dropping down from WW to LW. Was about to get a title shot for the UFC lightweight belt. Was concussed in training and never came back. The guy was a beast at LW , think he could of been Champion. Another who retired at the top of there game due to injury

Came here to say this. Grant was boring on the Mic but he was a hard worker inside the Octagon and was well on his way to taking that belt.

Faber. Only lost to the elite and retired on a win, still top 10 at BW.

Er, really??? How do you do that, just friend him on Facebook? I would love to chat with Ken ( don't tell him I said he was deluded)

He has a fan page and he has one for him and his wife.
And don't worry I'm not no snitch like the us anti-doping Association

Bas Rutten. Dude is was on a legit win streak. Then cameback for one last finish. Now he does stuff with Kevin James. And his acting isn't half bad.
From my understanding he had been declining for a while mostly with his knee problems. He was just that good he kept winning anyway before having to call it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back