LISS after HIIT ?

What's your goal?
The reason why it would burn more "fat", would be because of the increase in activity level. If your goal is overall "fat loss", then that is done by having a firm grasp on calculating your caloric intake and macro-nutrients.

If you're looking to improve your cardio for your upcoming fight or sport, having them separated would be better. Both HIIT and LISS are needed, and should both be employed.

What's your goal?
The reason why it would burn more "fat", would be because of the increase in activity level. If your goal is overall "fat loss", then that is done by having a firm grasp on calculating your caloric intake and macro-nutrients.

If you're looking to improve your cardio for your upcoming fight or sport, having them separated would be better. Both HIIT and LISS are needed, and should both be employed.

Thank you for the info. Just curious, you mention on keeping both HIIT and LISS on separate days, is that because they both counter each other?

Thank you for the info. Just curious, you mention on keeping both HIIT and LISS on separate days, is that because they both counter each other?
I usually feel wiped after one, so I feel the other wouldn't be of the best quality. I look at it similar to lifting and MMA training. back to back, one will suffer from fatigue.

For me, even though LISS is of lower intensity, I still try to beat my times eg. 5km under 25min

sounds like a great way to shrink your muscles and lose your gains!

sounds like a great way to shrink your muscles and lose your gains!
Sometimes I wonder if we're in the matrix, and what if in the real world, lifting kills gains while cardio gives them?

Runners generally follow the belief that intervals that are sufficiently taxing are enough. That anything more than that workout has no training benefit other than prolonging your recovery deficit. With that in mind I'll do little work after a temporary session but that's it. Intervals are a day of their owm.

Runners generally follow the belief that intervals that are sufficiently taxing are enough. That anything more than that workout has no training benefit other than prolonging your recovery deficit. With that in mind I'll do little work after a temporary session but that's it. Intervals are a day of their owm.

JRT6, I recently purchase Ross Enamait's e-book, Full Throttle Conditioning. In there, he mention something similar to how aerobic may actually take a greater toll on athletes' recovery. Reason is that large volume of aerobic training can disturb endocrine equilibrium within the body for as long as 3 days (LoL, I have no idea what I just type).

^ Yep.
In addition to, It's also a lot of time under reaction forces which can be hard on individuals knees ( i can't run long distances anymore, but sprints don't bother me).

At some point LISS takes a back burner approach as most of your skill work (pads, bag, sparring/rolling) will be the equivalent to it. However, one must get there first in order to work on the other attributes such as power endurance, lactate conditioning etc.

As to separating the LISS from the HIIT, concurrent training works well in novices-intermediate levels, but begins to impede performance or have a negligible effect at the later stages of development. Though since they are similar, the effects wont be as dramatic as you can train the aerobic system via anaerobic means by varying the work to rest ratios like a 1:5 - 1:8 instead of a standard 1:2 - 1:4 HIIT style.

Last edited:
Doesn't joel jamieson say light aerobic training after hard training can help with recovery and is complimentary?

As well switching up exercises every 5-15 mins when doing liss to prevent not only monotony but overuse of certain joins and muscle groups

The switching up thing never worked that great for me, because it turns out i'm not the only person in the gym.

JRT6, I recently purchase Ross Enamait's e-book, Full Throttle Conditioning. In there, he mention something similar to how aerobic may actually take a greater toll on athletes' recovery. Reason is that large volume of aerobic training can disturb endocrine equilibrium within the body for as long as 3 days (LoL, I have no idea what I just type).

I am a bit skeptical about this.

I don't doubt that doing marathons, iron man etc can disrupt hormone production. But LISS for non-endurance athletes is so much less work than how endurance athletes train. You can be talking about 3-4 sessions of 60 minutes with your HR at 70% per week in a "base building" phase, switching to as little as 1-2 sessions of 40 minutes per week once you start switching to more sports specific work. I can't speak for others, but I find that the level of intensity I need to get to 70% is pretty darn low. I just don't see how that can be hard to recover from or how it can impact on your endocrine system.

Ross knows his stuff, obviously, but in some of his writing he does have a tendency to equate LISS/aerobic work with how marathon runners or very long distance endurance athletes train. And that is naughty.

The switching up thing never worked that great for me, because it turns out i'm not the only person in the gym.

I don't like the switching up thing. The only way I can get through 60 minutes on a machine is by getting distracted and not thinking about time passing. If I am changing machines 6-12 times, I am going to be painfully aware of every minute.

I am a bit skeptical about this.

I don't doubt that doing marathons, iron man etc can disrupt hormone production. But LISS for non-endurance athletes is so much less work than how endurance athletes train. You can be talking about 3-4 sessions of 60 minutes with your HR at 70% per week in a "base building" phase, switching to as little as 1-2 sessions of 40 minutes per week once you start switching to more sports specific work. I can't speak for others, but I find that the level of intensity I need to get to 70% is pretty darn low. I just don't see how that can be hard to recover from or how it can impact on your endocrine system.

Ross knows his stuff, obviously, but in some of his writing he does have a tendency to equate LISS/aerobic work with how marathon runners or very long distance endurance athletes train. And that is naughty.

How much volume (or hours of aerobic training similar to marathon runners, ironman ect) would you have to do were you disrupt hormone production or overtrain?

Im just asking cause at the moment Im in a aerobic base phase, with the amount of time I have and it being effortless I can get up about 6-8 hours per week of steady state through various activity. I also feel like I can do this for a long period time (already on my 8th week) without taking a break unless I mentally feel really bored

Depends on your training status, other stuff you're doing, and the load on your body.

Running can put a lot more mechanical stress on your body than cycling/rowing/cross country skiing/elliptical, so if i was kicking people in the face I would maybe vary my LISS activities day to day(although obviously people build up to tolerating running pretty well as evidenced by thai's and every boxing gym ever, if you can do something that requires less dinging up and dedication, i don't see why you wouldn't)

6-8 hours seems like a reasonable load. If i never got picked up from work, I would get about 6 hours a week just riding to and from work. I mean, it's less reasonable if you do it all at once.

Depends on your training status, other stuff you're doing, and the load on your body.

Running can put a lot more mechanical stress on your body than cycling/rowing/cross country skiing/elliptical, so if i was kicking people in the face I would maybe vary my LISS activities day to day(although obviously people build up to tolerating running pretty well as evidenced by thai's and every boxing gym ever, if you can do something that requires less dinging up and dedication, i don't see why you wouldn't)

Yea I agree and Im careful of it. Anything that prevents mehanical stress which is why I vary the exercises and stretch before and after. I also find running in grass is less toll on the body. Im also not taking fights anytime soon and my schedule only allows me to get in 1 session of sparring in with the rest of the week on my own, which is why I kept this phase aerobic based plus it gives me a high lol

Yea I agree and Im careful of it. Anything that prevents mehanical stress which is why I vary the exercises and stretch before and after. I also find running in grass is less toll on the body. Im also not taking fights anytime soon and my schedule only allows me to get in 1 session of sparring in with the rest of the week on my own, which is why I kept this phase aerobic based plus it gives me a high lol
Also the form as well. I've heard not easing with each step, and just having the foot slam down eventually causes joint issues down the line. Although I say this, its probably from years of doing the same type of training with the volume and frequency.

The only issue I have with running on grass, is some uneven spots, which may end up with me landing with my ankle in a compromised position. It hasn't happened yet, but I get spooked by it when it comes close sometimes.

As long as you're not forgoing strength work, and not eating at a severe deficit, I think you'll be fine. I mentioned in other threads before that a couple of my teammates ended up with muscle imbalances and joint issues from training like that (old school boxing / MT way)

lol @ the endorphins high

Back