John Wick Spinoff BALLERINA (Update - Ana de Armas to Star; Len Wiseman to Direct)

action movies don't need females, that's hilarious

what they DO need is less shitty editing, and more actors capable of badass stuff ala Scott Adkins or MJW

I think it’s absolutely ridiculous to complain about this movie.

It’s only one part of the expanding John Wick universe. On top of the next movie proper, they’re also planning a spin-off TV show and a comic book. The fact that one of them has a female lead is inconsequential. Anyone stupid enough to complain because 1 out of 3 projects has a female lead is too stupid to value their opinion.

Especially since female assassins have been part of the setting since the very first movie.

The only thing that worries me about this is that it started off as an unrelated project. rather than being written from the get-go as a part of the John Wick universe. It's going to require extensive re-writing.

Women aren't truly equal until Keanu starts breaking there necks along with the men in the sequel ;)

Writing wise I'd say the Wickiverseis probably not that hard to transfer stories into, events don't need to relate to WIck himself just to the general assassin culture, taking an existing story and adding things like the Continental and Ian McShame into it probably wouldn't be THAT much of a rewrite.

Maybe Scarlet Johansson will get tired of waiting for a Black WIdow film and do this instead? Gina Carano seems the most obvious choice to me though, especially in terms of doing stunts.

Women aren't truly equal until Keanu starts breaking there necks along with the men in the sequel ;)

Writing wise I'd say the Wickiverseis probably not that hard to transfer stories into, events don't need to relate to WIck himself just to the general assassin culture, taking an existing story and adding things like the Continental and Ian McShame into it probably wouldn't be THAT much of a rewrite.

Maybe Scarlet Johansson will get tired of waiting for a Black WIdow film and do this instead? Gina Carano seems the most obvious choice to me though, especially in terms of doing stunts.

I don't think we should assume they'll get a big bame for this one. One of the things that make these movies so attractive to the studio isnthat they're relatively dirt cheap to make. The first one's budget was US$ 30 million and the second one's was US$ 40 million.

So someone like Scarlett is out.

Another thing to consider is the name of the project. Ballerina calls to mind a title character who will be petite and agile, and neither adjective has ever been used in the same sentence as Gina Carano. ;)

The world building and atmosphere of John Wick is legit some of the best I've ever seen. I would be ok with them turning that universe into a franchise of it's own.

I don't think we should assume they'll get a big name for this one. One of the things that make these movies so attractive to the studio isnthat they're relatively dirt cheap to make. The first one's budget was US$ 30 million and the second one's was US$ 40 million.

So someone like Scarlett is out.

Another thing to consider is the name of the project. Ballerina calls to mind a title character who will be petite and agile, and neither adjective has ever been used in the same sentence as Gina Carano. ;)

Your talking what $40-50 million? if you only really have one big star in it that does leave room for a serious payday plus I could see it being the kind of film were a box office percentage is offered.

I get your point about the images "barillina" brings to mind although the reality is obviously very different as you can't do ballet without a good deal of muscle.

I'll take the Underworld slagging and that was a bit of a stretch (90 mins of Kate Beckinsale in a tight leather body suit clouds the mind!) but Aliens is a top 5 GOAT action movie and shits all over more than a few male lead action movies. More sci-fi than action? I guess Predator doesn't count since more than half of that movie is basically horror.

<DisgustingHHH>

Dude horror? We're not kids anymore. Predator has way more bang bang action than Aliens.

I wouldn't judge the films simply by the amount of action in them though, two of the best action films of the 80's anyway.

Remember when Ronda Rousey kicked all those guys asses in a bar as the bouncer wearing high heels? It was just like Patrick Swazy in Road House. Only not as good. And more stupid.

So that is what I think of this movie idea.

Fuck this.

Bring us John Wick chapter 3 instead. Here's the plot:

John Wick has a bounty on his head from Morpheus the pigeon dude. A gazillion $ to bring him in alive.

Some fool shoots John wick with a tranquiliser and brings him to morpheus.

Morpheus buries John Wick alive in a casket with pigeons. And buries him 6 feet under in the middle of nowhere

When he wakes up he is being eaten by the pigeons so he has to kill them in close quarters combat, escape the casket like in Kill Bill 2, then go and get revenge on Morpheus, shooting his way through all the homeless minions and then fighting Morpheus in like a seniors version or their matrix dojo fight.

Uhmm Atomic Blonde just comes out in 2 days as far as I know. Enough already.

Reviews are already poor and it is going to bomb at the box office.

The combat in the trailers looks completely terrible A 110lb woman kicking ass... lol.

Please don't ruin the John Wick universe because of stupid fucking SJW reasons.

Fuck this.

Bring us John Wick chapter 3 instead. Here's the plot:

John Wick has a bounty on his head from Morpheus the pigeon dude. A gazillion $ to bring him in alive.

Some fool shoots John wick with a tranquiliser and brings him to morpheus.

Morpheus buries John Wick alive in a casket with pigeons. And buries him 6 feet under in the middle of nowhere

When he wakes up he is being eaten by the pigeons so he has to kill them in close quarters combat, escape the casket like in Kill Bill 2, then go and get revenge on Morpheus, shooting his way through all the homeless minions and then fighting Morpheus in like a seniors version or their matrix dojo fight.

I don't think this is instead of a third film although hasn't the director of the previous two signed up for Highlander? that does still seem some way off so I could see him doing the trilogy first.

Update: October 8, 2019

Len Wiseman Set to Direct Female-centric John Wick Spinoff BALLERINA

FpfnIv9.jpg

Lionsgate has set Len Wiseman to direct Ballerina, an action spinoff of the lucrative John Wick franchise.

Ballerina focuses on a young female assassin who seeks revenge against the people who killed her family. The picture is on a fast track, with a script by Shay Hatten, whose credits include the Zack Snyder-directed Army of the Dead for Netflix, and John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum.

The picture is produced by Basil Iwanyk and Erica Lee, with Keanu Reeves and Chad Stahelski also involved in producing roles. The character was glimpsed in the last John Wick film and it isn’t clear at this point whether Reeves will be in the film though if he does it will be a cameo. Unity Phelan is in the credits of Parabellum under the character Ballerina, but I am not sure who will be the star of the spinoff.

The film takes center stage even as Lionsgate ramps up John Wick 4. John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum has generated more than $323 million worldwide at the box office. In home entertainment, it is the highest grossing home entertainment title Lionsgate has released in more than 5 years. Ballerina will be overseen at Lionsgate by James Myers

Wiseman launched his star as a filmmaker with another female-driven action franchise, the vampire/werewolf Underworld series. Wiseman also directed Live Free or Die Hard, a spirited continuation of Bruce Willis’ Die Hard series. He has most recently been engaged in directing series which range from Hawaii 5-0 to Lucifer, Sleepy Hollow, The Gifted and Swamp Thing.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/john-w...rects-female-centric-keanu-reeves-1202754898/

Update: October 8, 2019

Len Wiseman Set to Direct Female-centric John Wick Spinoff BALLERINA

FpfnIv9.jpg

Lionsgate has set Len Wiseman to direct Ballerina, an action spinoff of the lucrative John Wick franchise.

Ballerina focuses on a young female assassin who seeks revenge against the people who killed her family. The picture is on a fast track, with a script by Shay Hatten, whose credits include the Zack Snyder-directed Army of the Dead for Netflix, and John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum.

The picture is produced by Basil Iwanyk and Erica Lee, with Keanu Reeves and Chad Stahelski also involved in producing roles. The character was glimpsed in the last John Wick film and it isn’t clear at this point whether Reeves will be in the film though if he does it will be a cameo. Unity Phelan is in the credits of Parabellum under the character Ballerina, but I am not sure who will be the star of the spinoff.

The film takes center stage even as Lionsgate ramps up John Wick 4. John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum has generated more than $323 million worldwide at the box office. In home entertainment, it is the highest grossing home entertainment title Lionsgate has released in more than 5 years. Ballerina will be overseen at Lionsgate by James Myers

Wiseman launched his star as a filmmaker with another female-driven action franchise, the vampire/werewolf Underworld series. Wiseman also directed Live Free or Die Hard, a spirited continuation of Bruce Willis’ Die Hard series. He has most recently been engaged in directing series which range from Hawaii 5-0 to Lucifer, Sleepy Hollow, The Gifted and Swamp Thing.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/john-w...rects-female-centric-keanu-reeves-1202754898/

Should be interesting, as long as they leave the fight choreography to the guys who did the previous movies in the series.

Update: October 28, 2021

Ana de Armas in Talks to Star in John Wick Spinoff BALLERINA from Lionsgate

iwUDZYm.jpg

Ana de Armas is gearing up to lead her own action franchise. The actor is in talks to lead Ballerina, Lionsgate’s spinoff to Keanu Reeves’ John Wick franchise, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

De Armas broke out with Knives Out and is currently in theaters with No Time to Die, in which she partakes in one of its more memorable action sequences.

Underworld‘s Len Wiseman is directing Ballerina for Lionsgate. Shay Hatten, who wrote John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum and co-write Zack Snyder’s Army of the Dead, penned the script. Producers are Basil Iwanyk, Erica Lee and Chad Stahelski, the director behind the John Wick franchise. Brady Fujikawa and Chelsea Kujawa are overseeing the project for Lionsgate.

In addition to Ballerina, Lionsgate TV has a The Continental prequel event series in the works for Starz, while John Wick 4 is slated for May 2022.

De Armas’ star is high right now and there are multiple big-scale projects that could come together for her. The Golden Globe nominee is currently in post-production on Netflix and the Russo brothers’ $200 million action pic The Gray Man, and the same studio’s long-awaited Marilyn Monroe biopic Blonde.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/ana-de-armas-ballerina-john-wick-1235039043/

Holy shit!

100/10 would watch! She’s the best thing about Blade Runner 2049!

She's a fine ass woman. Those eyes of hers get me in the right way!

I love Ana De Armas with all parts of my body, still don't feel the need of hollywood throwing at me more "women can be (much more) badass too!" spinoff nobody asked for

I'm not even one triggered by omg small woman beated up 3 HW size street fighterz (followed by omg must list examples of males being superior!), that's ok thing to me

It's just that's redundant trend at this point from an industry that seems to have mixed to much it's entertainment original purpose with politics that seems disproportionately loud and invasive

But maybe it's just me as i don't live in America, and all this trend is'nt excessive try hard move by californian based industry willing to show how progressive they are and actually truly reflect what americans find cool and want to see at cinema

Guess you can understand some cultural climate only living in the place

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back