12 rounds Ring, WBA LW titles-

Champion Jorge Linares (42-3, 27 KO's)

vs

Luke Campbell (17-1, 14 KO's)
--------------------------------

JWW- Antionio Orozco-Roberto Ortiz
JFW- Azat Hovhannisyan-Sergio Frias

9/23 7 PST/ 8 MST/ 9 CST/ 10 EST HBO.

I don't care who wins, as long as it's Linares who does the winning.

Azat-Frias looks like a sleeper fight.

Looking forward to this, I like Jorge's style. Would be nice to see him dominate and then go on to face Robert Easter jr or Mikey Garcia

I have a love-hate relationship (!) with Linares.

Back when he was fighting out of Japan he was massively over-protected & I willed for him to get beaten. Then he got KO'd three times by Mexicans, & somewhere (probably around round nine or ten of the DeMarco fight) I started to like him, a little.

He's done well in his comeback & I cheered for him every time versus Mitchell & Crolla (scoring of that first one was shite, btw; Linares won 8 rounds). I now regard him with something like affection.

Campbell is someone I've not taken to despite his obvious skills. I think to beat Linares you have to out-tough him, something Crolla & Mitchell weren't strong enough to do, or hit hard enough to squash him or fuck his face up. Campbell is very slick when he wants to be but I don't see him doing this, unless Jorge has dropped off significantly.

Linares on points.

Linares probably but I may change my mind and go with Campbell. Someone has to pick him and he's skilled and slick like DaveDave said.

Even Steve Bunce couldn't bring himself to hype Campbell up for this one - "no chance" was his view.

Gotta say, based on how Linares has looked recently that looks a fair assessment. Bookies certainly think so.

Back when he was fighting out of Japan he was massively over-protected & I willed for him to get beaten. Then he got KO'd three times by Mexicans, & somewhere (probably around round nine or ten of the DeMarco fight) I started to like him, a little.

He's done well in his comeback & I cheered for him every time versus Mitchell & Crolla (scoring of that first one was shite, btw; Linares won 8 rounds). I now regard him with something like affection.

Campbell is someone I've not taken to despite his obvious skills. I think to beat Linares you have to out-tough him, something Crolla & Mitchell weren't strong enough to do, or hit hard enough to squash him or fuck his face up. Campbell is very slick when he wants to be but I don't see him doing this, unless Jorge has dropped off significantly.

Linares on points.

Yeah I'm pretty much where you are on this. I think Campbell can grab a few rounds but I think he may end up getting stopped, can't see him winning. also can't see how his first fight with crolla was seen as close in anyway. Was suprised at the rematch, it was undeserved

I like El Nino Del Oro to win this one. However, I could easily be wrong. I've not seen much of Campbell, and Linares is getting up there in miles.

Linares on points.

Agreed on all of this. Back in the days Linares shoeshined a lot and was easily put out of his element by guys who could rough him up. He greatly matured as a fighter, has the stamina to work 12 rounds and is very sound trchnically speaking.

Campbell doesn't have the homecourt advantage and his resume is thin, I don't think he's ready for Linares. That is, as you said, if he's still 100%.

Even Steve Bunce couldn't bring himself to hype Campbell up for this one - "no chance" was his view.

Gotta say, based on how Linares has looked recently that looks a fair assessment. Bookies certainly think so.
I'm surprised Linares is as low as around -346 now. I think he trounces Campbell here, either stops him or a wide UD. I'm usually an underdog bettor but I am backing Linares big this time.

i agree that linares is on a different level in regards to skillset but when you have the skin and suspect punch resitance of jorge linares any world class fighter has a chance against him.

if not for the wicked headbut cut that, imo, definately affected mitchell and was the main reason for him being stopped linares might have lost that fight.

jorge linares remind me a lot of erislandy lara. he has the great skillset but a guy i want to fade because he is a ko waiting to happen and he gives great odds

Looking forward to this as well. I like Linares' story arc of coming back and rebuilding, and I like him to win this one.

Campbell- 134.8
Linares- 134.2

People overlook how Linares has struggled in his comeback despite looking silky smooth at times imo, though he clearly performed last time out. If not for the headbutt cut then Mitchell might have beaten him (I personally think he would have), and in their first fight, Crolla started coming on strong and taking rounds in the middle passage before getting buzzed in the 7th or 8th or whatever it was which Linares needed a lot to change the momentum, otherwise it could have been very close down the stretch and Crolla isn't anything special.

I think Linares will stop Campbell in the mid-late rounds anyway probably.

Linares should win this one. Luke isn't Mexican, so Linares by UD

Looking forward to this, I like Jorge's style. Would be nice to see him dominate and then go on to face Robert Easter jr or Mikey Garcia
Mikey would beat the shit out of him.
Easter vs Linares would be a better fight.

Back