Like or dislike Trump he is right about NATO

S

SouthoftheAndes

Trump is an idiot in so many ways.

However I can't see how any American Democrat or Republican can possibly disagree with his NATO speech he just gave.

To be against what he said is to continue to want America to spend the most money on other countries. It is to demand that 23/28 countries can continue to not meet their financial obligations while the US and a few others do. It isn't fair either that we are expected to expend the lives of so many patriotic Americans all so they can defend the lives of nations who mock our president and whose people by and large mock the Americans and our way of life.

No longer should this be allowed and I'd go further most western European nations owe us and should he thankful for continued American defense.

True. Our military is laughable, some more than others, but a joke most of them

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

This is one of those no shit sherlock type issues.

I don't think he's said anything profound or something other American politicians haven't expressed over the years in regards to NATO.

NATO has always been more about political ties than actual military support though, correct?

I don't think he's said anything profound or something other American politicians haven't expressed over the years in regards to NATO.

But wait, how can literally Hitler be right?

Which time? When he said it was 'obsolete' or when he admitted he'd only said that because he didn't really know what NATO was, and then revealed that terrorism wasn't a thing before 1949?

I think most Western European citizens would be happy to hold their own end of the bargain when it comes to securing Europe.

The problem is that Euro politicians, for decades, have cut funding on the military and wasted the money on other useless pet projects instead, because, well, they've never been called out on it. So far America has been fully willing to carry the excess burden by itself, perhaps in hopes of making Europe dependent on its military assistance, but I'm glad to see that there has been a change in perspective.

This policy has yielded no positive results for America, much like many of its other interventionist policies, and has left many of its social services decades behind Western Europe, because of the excess military budget.

NATO has always been more about political ties than actual military support though, correct?

But wait, how can literally Hitler be right?

To be fair, Hitler was right on some issues (not the main ones obviously, but he was for ethical treatment of animals)

I think most Western European citizens would be happy to hold their own end of the bargain when it comes to securing Europe.

The problem is that Euro politicians, for decades, have cut funding on the military and wasted the money on other useless pet projects instead, because, well, they've never been called out on it. So far America has been fully willing to carry the excess burden by itself, perhaps in hopes of making Europe dependent on its military assistance, but I'm glad to see that there has been a change in perspective.

This policy has yielded no positive results for America, much like many of its other interventionist policies, and has left many of its social services decades behind Western Europe, because of the excess military budget.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/obama-nato-pay-fair-share-231405

“I want to take this opportunity to commend Greece for being one of the five NATO allies that spends 2 percent of GDP on defense, a goal that we have consistently set but not everybody has met,” Obama said. “Greece has done this even during difficult economic times. If Greece can meet this NATO commitment, all our NATO allies should be able to do so.”

-Some guy no one likes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/25/obama-tells-complacent-europe-to-hike-military-spending/

In an address in Hanover, the US President said that Nato must spend more to address the crises in Syria and north Africa and to invest in new missile defence and cyber systems.

Nato is also increasing troop numbers and equipment in its eastern European neighbours who feel at risk of Russian destabilisation.

Mr Obama warned that states are failing to pay their “full share” of spending two per cent of GDP on the military. “I’ll be honest, sometimes Europe has been complacent about its own defence,” he said.

-Same guy no one likes.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...-allies-to-chip-in-because-freedom-isnt-free/

"I have had some concerns about a diminished level of defense spending among some of our partners in NATO; not all, but many. The trend lines have been going down," he said at a news conference at the Council of the European Union. "We've got to be willing to pay for the assets, the personnel, the training that's required to make sure that we have a credible NATO force and an effective deterrent force."

-Same guy no one likes several years earlier.

I don't think he's said anything profound or something other American politicians haven't expressed over the years in regards to NATO

As usual, you're <47>
Trump was hated on just few months ago for going after NATO and other countries for not paying their fair share.

18620388_10212885553756183_5449996761156548589_n.jpg

As usual, you're <47>
Trump was hated on just few months ago for going after NATO and other countries for not paying their fair share.

<TrumpWrong1>

We were on him because he was saying shit like NATO should be dissolved

That's not the same thing.

Wow Trump got cucked by that little boy.

Trump better watch out Melania looks a little depressed lately. Macron is an old lady destroyer and the French don't give a fuck about adultery.

We don't need no stinkin NATO. England, Canada, Australia, would have helped us in Afghanistan without NATO.

The only countries that need it are close to the Russian border, e.g., Estonia, Lithiuania. In fact, if Ukraine was in NATO, you think Putin would have dared to bring his troops in?

yea ill give trump a pass on aspects of his stance here.

sustaining the defense of our allies is unsustainable.......though, this isnt anything most of them asked for lol. it was kind of imposed upon them during the cold war.

So far America has been fully willing to carry the excess burden by itself, perhaps in hopes of making Europe dependent on its military assistance, but I'm glad to see that there has been a change in perspective.

Except becoming the worlds only super power. Military bases and allies all over the world allows for power projection wherever it's needed. Maintaining stability in the world prevents any major conflicts (like WW2) from happening.

Back