1. Newly retired UFC Bantamweight & UK legend, Brad "One Punch" Pickett joins us LIVE on WEDNESDAY at 3:00 PM ET / 8:00 PM UK time. Check it out here.
    Dismiss Notice

Light vs heavy bjj Gi. What are the advantages of each?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by FStep, Apr 18, 2010.

1. FStep Brown Belt

FStep
    .....?

2. nykayfabe Green Belt

nykayfabe
    Generally speaking, light is more comfortable but less durable and easier to grip. Heavy is the opposite: less comfortable but more durable and harder for your opponent to grip.

3. Also, wearing a heavy gi in the summer will feel like you're wearing a backpack when its full of sweat

4. p_ahn Purple Belt

p_ahn
    this.
    and the fact that a heavy gi can get hot as hell

5. bluenoob White Belt

bluenoob

It's bad but not that bad, you get used to it after some time. I rather feel like I have a backpack on my back then the feeling of getting beat in every sparring match because my gi was easily manipulated.

Usually summer gi's are soft and bendable and the collar is too soft so your sparring buddy will have an easy time grabbing it and trying a choke on you. I hate getting thrown around like a rag doll with a real soft summer gi.

6. raoulduke Blue Belt

raoulduke
    Heavy gi by far. It is more bag-like than a light gi. Once infused with the stench of rotting fruit it is almost impossible to de-putrify, unlike with a light gi. And perhaps most importantly, heavy gis have been approved by upper management the world over.

FStep, will you please stop messing around with these trivialities and provide us with some answers? Your people await you...

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/do...r-alessio-sakara-apocolyptic-fighter-1166991/

7. Nijoe White Belt

Nijoe
    I prefer heavier gi because of 5 reasons:
    1. I hate grip breaking
    2. heavy gi's last longer, which is important because the mats that we have that textured surface which I think contributes to gi's wearing out
    3. I hate grip breaking
    4. there is no 4th reason
    5. I hate grip breaking

8. rss910 Guest

rss910
    I must say I hate grip breaking too. Also with a lighter gi, you can find handles all over the gi--where with the heavy gi you will find much less handles.
    Keep in mind too, for those who compete with the IBJJF, heavy gis weigh more. Remember you weigh yourself with the gi, right before you fight. I suppose you could wear like a vulkan for your first bout and then switch heavy but....

9. esum80 Brown Belt

esum80
    i sweat enough as it is when it's no-gi; i sweat like a PIG when it's gi only.

but heavy gi = more durable and harder to grip

10. p_ahn Purple Belt

p_ahn
    the reasons above are why I wish somebody would create a light/summer weight gi with a Howard-type horse collar

11. nykayfabe Green Belt

nykayfabe
    The old generation Atama ultra-lite (the one with yellow and green on the shoulders) is the closest I've seen to that. Great collar, very light, but not sloppy. Probably my favorite gi after having the skirt shortened.

12. mvisit1 Blue Belt

mvisit1
    Wear your heavy gi Nov-Apr and your light gi May-Oct and call it a day.

I hate hearing about how much easier it is for an opponent to manipulate and choke you with a lighter collar. What the hell do we train for?

If you have good posture it's going to be hell for your partner to choke you, regardless of what kind of gi you're wearing. If you have a good base and good transitions, it's going to be hell for your partner to sweep you, no matter how easy he can grip on to you.

13. Nijoe White Belt

Nijoe
    To be honest, I didn't notice that I get choked more when I wear a light gi, I'm good at defending gi chokes, and once they sink in it doesn't matter if I'm wearing ultra thin or thick collar, I have to tap. Mind you, the stiffest collar I've tried is on my adidas rio comp.
    Once again, I just prefer heavier gi's because I hate grip breaking, the thicker collar is a bonus.

14. p_ahn Purple Belt

p_ahn
    sounds excellent.
    too bad they are impossible to find :icon_cry2

15. Joshu Blue Belt

Joshu
    Don't you then have to work on things like, I don't know, your defense?

16. Joshu Blue Belt

Joshu
    This. Thank you.