Light sparring video

jonander50

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score

I'm the one in camo shorts.

Distance is the biggest stick point I see, I would like to know your opinion, cheers.

Cool shorts and nice video. Got some good returns in after he counters you with stuff. Coming along smoothly since that first smoker you posted.

1) More low kicks when he shells, and more kicks in general. Those combos to the head was good, but ending that with a low kick or a kick in general is where its at.

2) Punch technique needs some work against live opponents, that will develop with time but gets fast tracked by hard boxing sparring.

3) Youre partner seems a little more seasoned, although he was a lot less mobile and probably slower/less athletic than you, he didnt overreact to punches and kicks and shelled instead of trying to move his head all over the place.
His style is a little too flat footed and plodding for my taste but the point being is that he was calm and defense was much tighter. Energy was expended much less for him as well.

Try to watch what he did right when reacting to punches and kicks and pushing you back.... and how even in light sparring you are moving all over the place, when he throws a jab you are overreacting like a mother fucker. Head movement is important but just try staying tight and work on your blocking and parrying for now.

Its light sparring you dont need to be reacting to punches like the guy threw a bomb at you.. Stay composed/tight, block, and counter with a combo of your own.
IF you want to move your feet/head, just get out of range of his punches and reset. For now try not to put yourself in a position in which you wont be able to return immediately. Strong stance, strong posture.

All in all good work dude

Last edited:
Just a few things.

Be thoughtful about the lowkick in close range without setting it up. He countered you a few times like that, like at 0:47

I get that you want to move and don't be a stationary target, but you tend to stand tall and off balance on your combos while moving around him. Sometimes it's better to sit down a little bit, throw your punches, then angle out.

Another thing in that regard, when you exit out either way in close range and you're standing tall without any real measure of defense, you're not in the best position to take a punch. It's easier for him catching you running into a hook like that. Seems like you're not using a tight guard most of the time, which is even more reason to sink into your hips a little more when using your defense.

Keep up the good work!

Back