Light mt sparring. Frode and Håvard

Too light IMO. I feels like you aren't keeping each other honest, and the speed is too slow motion. I'd at least spar 100% speed light power.

Careful you don't get too predictable with that front foot going up and down. You could get lead into a trap when someone prompts you to pick your foot up and then you can't move quickly.

Not trying to be a Negative Nancy. :)

Too light IMO. I feels like you aren't keeping each other honest, and the speed is too slow motion. I'd at least spar 100% speed light power.

Careful you don't get too predictable with that front foot going up and down. You could get lead into a trap when someone prompts you to pick your foot up and then you can't move quickly.

@Frode Falch just needs @Sano. Then they will definitely bang!

Lol weird music. That jump spin back kick was cool btw. Alright constructive criticism time. Try changing range more often. Try to close the distance and throw more hands. Try feinting. Make a little twitch like you're gonna throw a kick or something. Do that a couple and see how it makes your adversary flinch. Then try to get them to flinch into one of your strikes. Lastly, try to step to the side and come in at more of an angle. It makes it harder for them to hit you and easier for you to hit them. Also even for technical sparring i would personally go at least 10% harder. Don't listen to that guy saying to go full speed. Force equals mass times acceleration. So if you go full speed its like going full power the only difference being keeping your limbs more relaxed on contact.

I don’t know the other name but is that frode? That awesome as he’s been a good contributor here over time.

I don’t have a problem with the pace of sparring. I was skeptical on light sparring until I spent a month in Thailand and saw how light the Thais spar. Y’all can doubt it all you want, but I’ve seen how light sparring and hard pad and bag work can make top level fighters

I don't post in this tab here too often, but as someone who's boxed for a long time and making the transition to MMA, sparring at full speed has its benefits like improving reflexes and realistic timing of strikes and movements, but the main problem with it is that you overwhelm your partner's reactions and while you may land more strikes, it can reinforce bad technique and strategy. The most obvious of which is you won't learn how to effectively set up shots and position yourself correctly in a real hard spar or fight, also leading to poor defense. All of us can recount boxing/kickboxing/MMA fights where a striker with inferior speed but better fundamentals won via upset.

Most of you posters already know this and probably have more experience than me in this regard. The MT stereotype of "full power, punching through your opponent" thus suffers from these drawbacks.

I actually quite liked this one, one of the better sparring videos you've put up. Seems like he's not too bad either and you're looking sharper. Prepping for a fight again in the new year?

Anyway, time and place for harder sparring intensity. As long as you're not being too casual with things that you wouldn't get away with at a higher intensity. I mean, you can keep it sharp even if it's light, so maybe help each other with a comment or two if someone is too lackadaisical with their defense or keeping their chin straight up in the air etc.

Merry christmas!

Whats the red boot on your right foot? Is it something you put over your shin guards?? Im interested as it looks like protection for those toes. As for the sparring im not good enough to critique you, but I like that flow sparring its a lot of fun and you can do it everyday no problems, just hard finding a partner who doesn't get carried away....

Its extra protection. Karate/TKD boots. I kicked into a elbow last week.

I also use them when i plan to use alot of spinning kicks and heel kicks in sparring

Its extra protection. Karate/TKD boots. I kicked into a elbow last week.

I also use them when i plan to use alot of spinning kicks and heel kicks in sparring

Thanks I keep fucking up my left toes I might try that

I don't post in this tab here too often, but as someone who's boxed for a long time and making the transition to MMA, sparring at full speed has its benefits like improving reflexes and realistic timing of strikes and movements, but the main problem with it is that you overwhelm your partner's reactions and while you may land more strikes, it can reinforce bad technique and strategy. The most obvious of which is you won't learn how to effectively set up shots and position yourself correctly in a real hard spar or fight, also leading to poor defense. All of us can recount boxing/kickboxing/MMA fights where a striker with inferior speed but better fundamentals won via upset.

Most of you posters already know this and probably have more experience than me in this regard. The MT stereotype of "full power, punching through your opponent" thus suffers from these drawbacks.

Oh I absolutely think slower speed sparring and/or lighter contact is the way to go. Full speed and power should be used sparingly IMO. But I think this video took it too far to an extreme. It looks sloppy and sort of "fake" for lack of a better word.

What I mean is, with kicks, it's nearly impossible to throw realistic strikes and you wind up just picking up your knee towards your opponent and smuggly thinking "I could have killed you right there".

Also if you're going to go extremely slow, I think you can do better than just cover up. Get creative with it and work on some more offensive defense.

Its a good speed if you are injured and want to keep reflexes.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the intensity of that sparring, it’s a tool same as hard sparring. That’s the type of level we’re you can work on things your bad at without getting smashed in the head. It’s the next level up from working on the pads. If you get punished every time you try something new, you stop trying new things
IN responce to one of your other thread about landing your rear cross, I feel like that’s because you spend most of your time with ALL your weight on your rear foot waiting for that lead leg body kick or to check. You probably do 75% of your work with that lead leg, and it looks tidy, but it’s coming at the expense of some other strikes. Your weight is so far back and your standing so tall it take too long to transition your weight forwards. By the time you’ve done it you’re oppo has already reacted.
JWP would be a good fighter to watch, he spends a lot of time on his back foot but he’s developed a very aggressive way of transitioning. When he's on his rear foot he's hunched forwards and leaning into his oppo. The lead leg is still light, in his case to check, for you to throw that lead body kick. One of the things he useses is a “power jab”when he wants to attack but his weight is back, he lower himself on his and springs forward with this “power jab”, it turn his jab into a significant strike and moves his body weight to a more balanced position for boxing.

Last edited:
Its a good speed if you are injured and want to keep reflexes.
light bang, sometimes you bang too hard and too fast, then it drains you over time. til you can find the right, perfect partner to get more quality bangs in

Back