Lifting weights in the morning on an empty stomach?

I always get sick if I eat a meal before working out. I drink a 16oz glass of water and eat a 2-3 crackers about an hour before doing anything in the morning. It's enough to stave off the morning stomach rumbles and I don't feel miserable :)

As a man with Crohn's Disease, I could never do it. Anytime I really pushed myself on an empty stomach, it was a vomit shit storm. On a stomach with a banana and some other fruit & coffee, I could do those same workouts and feel good after.

Some of my wrestlers do it during season before morning workouts, they say their weight falls off and they can eat a quite bit more. They typically just have chocolate milk afterwards and then have a normal lunch.

Does anyone do it? I really enjoy it but I read some articles that it makes you lose muscle mass.

Thoughts?
Doesn't make you lose muscle per say but it isn't optimal for performance at all. You're best off having a high protein high carbohydrate meal 1-2 hours before training.

i had my best endurance sessions with eating nothing until 2 or 3 p.m. and drinking at least a gallon of water.

digestion needs energy, too. if i eat before my endurance workouts, i loose stamina. at least in my case this is completely true and i didn't read this on a blog, i feel it.

i never felt a big difference at work or lifting weights. i did most of my heavy physical jobs with only eating in the evening and never felt a difference to a normal eating pattern, except i don't like to lift stuff with a full stomach. but i am not a big guy, so carrying a lot of muscle is probably a different thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back