Lifting for injury prevention (heavy lifting vs not so heavy lifting)

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by mmza, Apr 25, 2017.

1. mmza White Belt

mmza
    I am a bjj practitioner and I want to start weightlifting for injury prevention. But how it works? Should I necessarily lift heavy? I saw some articles that suggest to use kettlebells for grapplers. So can I use relatively light weights for my purpose?
    My question is caused by the fact that I have no lot of time to go to a lifting gym but I have light barbell at home (up to 40 kg weight in sum), pull up bar and parallel bars for dips. So will it be beneficial for my purpose just do for example Javorek's complex with light barbell (so it will be like I'm using a kettlebell), pull ups and dips?

2. CamMan14 White Belt

CamMan14
    Barbell complexes are more of a tool used for either putting on size for an anerobic threshold session.
    They will make you stronger, but they are not the best for injury prevention at all. Especially if coupled with a sport.
    For purely injury prevention purposes, I reccomend a basic strength program with dips, chin ups, push ups, squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, rows etc.
    Pick 3-5 exercises each session, roughly 3 sessions per week, keep the volume low (no more than 25 reps per exersise) and wait until you are fully recovered in between each set.

All the best

mike sherry, selfcritical and Sano like this.
  3. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    I wouldn't recommend barbell complexes either. Kettlebells, well, they can be excellent tools. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Keep it simple. Squat and Pull variation with a barbell. Perhaps kettlebells for rows and presses, and one or two unilateral lower body exercises. Add a few accessory exercises in for the glutes/hamstrings, core and shoulder girdle health. Bands are also good in that regard. You don't have to do it all in one workout.

Instead of a specific program, here's a few principles.

1. Listen to your body.

2. Warmup properly.

3. Practice good form and technique.

4. Use slow and controlled eccentrics and even isometric pauses.

5. Increase load gradually over time and don't rush it.

6. Get proper rest.

CamMan14 and corpse like this.
  4. Cmart Aspiring Milo

Cmart
    Phlog likes this.
  5. Dan O Purple Belt

Dan O
    Lol.

Clown shoes

6. bigbangspiritbomb Red Belt

bigbangspiritbomb
    The weight is not as important as the actual form and technique. I have no place doing Olympic lifts or crossfit. I lack the mobility, form, and technique. I train martial arts and I weight lift. I am doing some running or rowing and cycling.

I would speak with your trainer, see what would be the best for your jits, and take it from there.

7. dsdoubled Green Belt

dsdoubled
    When it comes to injury prevention the lifts you do are much more important than the rep range or the weight you use (although I wouldn't go too heavy). You also have to consider the sport you're playing, in this case Bjj. So you really want to protect your back, neck, shoulders, and knees.
    For protecting the knees it starts and ends with creating balance between the hams and quads. You will also want to work on stretching your calves and strengthening your tibialis. You can still work calves if u want but do not let them become tight or shortened. Strengthening the tibialis can help with ensuring the patella moves and functions properly, this will go a long way towards preventing injuries and is very easy to work (think opposite of a calf raise.
    For protecting the shoulders work on creating balance in the lower trap, serratus, rhomboid, upper trap complex. Its not as complicated as it sounds and is WAY more effective for the shoulder joints than the internal/external rotations people do for trhe rotator cuffs.
    For the back you can deadlift, get that form down perfect, work the g;ute ham machine, work thoracic extension on a foam roller, and maybe even an overhead squat or zercher squat.
    For the neck work on strengthening it isometrically. Lie on each side and hold the neutral position for 5 minutes each side. U can add a little weight if its too easy without. Then turn to the prone position and do a translation type exercise again for about 5 minutes.
    Let me know if this sounds appealing and u want me to elaborate. Strengthening these little muscles are the essence of injury prevention and really will help hold everything together.

8. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    Nice.

mike sherry likes this.