Life Finds A Way

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They alway say life needs water but now scienect say the found life that lives off air.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/new-discovery-could-change-way-we-look-alien-life-ncna827921

In brief: Scientists search for extraterrestrials and habitable exoplanets based on what we know of life on Earth. But in a breakthrough discovery, researchers found a bacterial species that require only chemicals in the air to survive.

I guess they can start looking at those gas planets to see what is living there. i never understood why they think life has to be like what is here.why can there be some that live off sunlight or cold etc..

Last edited:
Aren't there a group of people called "Breatharians" or something? Basically people who think they only need air to survive (no food or water)

If there's life that can live on my nuts then life can live anywhere

I guess they cant start looking at those gas planets to see what is living there. i never understood why they think life has to be like what is here.why can there be some that live off sunlight or cold etc..

I have always thought this as well. Things survive at the bottom of the ocean with no oxygen or sunlight. Live off sulfur in volcanic vents in the ocean, etc. Water bears are crazy creatures as well.

Aren't there a group of people called "Breatharians" or something? Basically people who think they only need air to survive (no food or water)

If there was, there probably isn't anymore. I don't imagine a group like that hangs around very long.

They alway say life needs water but now scienect say the found life that lives off air.

I guess they cant start looking at those gas planets to see what is living there. i never understood why they think life has to be like what is here.why can there be some that live off sunlight or cold etc..

I don't think they believe life MUST have evolved on other planets the way it has here. I think it's just that, with limited resources and a hard time convincing people to fund such endeavors, they may as well put the most energy toward something they know has worked at least once.

I don't think they believe life MUST have evolved on other planets the way it has here. I think it's just that, with limited resources and a hard time convincing people to fund such endeavors, they may as well put the most energy toward something they know has worked at least once.
I can't explain it anymore because I can't remember how it works anymore. College was a long time ago and I've been drunk a lot during and since.

But I remember taking intro chemistry and intro biology in college. After you learn a little bit about carbon and how it's +/-4 electrons to be stable or whatever, it gets really obvious that life can only really form out of those kinds of molecules. That's why silicon is also considered a possible base of life, like +/-4 electrons to be stable.

And once you start with carbon, or another molecule like it, they only readily bond with like other stuff.. like a layman just thinks the scientists are being arrogant but learn it yourself and you realize the layman's a dumbass

I can't explain it anymore because I can't remember how it works anymore. College was a long time ago and I've been drunk a lot during and since.

But I remember taking intro chemistry and intro biology in college. After you learn a little bit about carbon and how it's +/-4 electrons to be stable or whatever, it gets really obvious that life can only really form out of those kinds of molecules. That's why silicon is also considered a possible base of life, like +/-4 electrons to be stable.

And once you start with carbon, or another molecule like it, they only readily bond with like other stuff.. like a layman just thinks the scientists are being arrogant but learn it yourself and you realize the layman's a dumbass

I imagine this might ring a bell (1950s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment

Still, something we can't imagine could well result in life by other means. But how do we search for what we can't imagine.

I was actually more shocked when they discovered that bacterium which subsists in an arsenic environment in the California lake vents.

I have always thought this as well. Things survive at the bottom of the ocean with no oxygen or sunlight. Live off sulfur in volcanic vents in the ocean, etc. Water bears are crazy creatures as well.

Water bears are Life's cheat code.

We have limited tools in science..and limited thinking....these times an ideas will look silly in a thousand years..

Currently? No. At some point in the past? Perhaps.

haven't they found sulphur based life?

When most people think "extraterrestrial life" I don't think they're picturing sulfur-based bacteria. It doesn't exactly fire the imagination.

"Are we alone in the universe?"
"No, there are countless strains of bacteria existing in conditions too inhospitable for us to ever visit."
"Uh, ok, cool, I guess."

Just because it's possible for life to exist in probable conditions, doesn't mean it's equally as probable as under what are generally considered ideal conditions. The conditions under which life sets up shop are probably pretty similar(and least in the dimensions we're aware of, and using what the generally accepted meaning the word "life" is), and evolution takes care of the rest. Although life in the absence of water is pretty far out there.

they dont think life has to be as it is here... thats why they say " life as we know it"

I think most people who arnt religious nuts or idiots think that there is other life out there. We know so little about space and have only explored so much... Like black scientist says, saying there isnt other life out there is like putting putting a cup in the ocean and scooping water out and saying there isnt any sharks in the ocean because none showed up in the cup.

Yeah there was a group like that, but nobody heard much from them after about 4 days.

Never understand why people do not provide links when posting something like this??

Anyway...

I was actually more shocked when they discovered that bacterium which subsists in an arsenic environment in the California lake vents.
Yes. Life finds a way.

I remember when the thesis for a life equation always involved photosynthesis or sunlight. Then they explored these deep ocean thermal vents and found in areas where zero sunlight penetrated life still abounded based on chemosynthesis. taking energy from heat without light. And this spawned a whole new area of speculation as suddenly planets that were permanently frozen but might have deep oceans with still some moving warm water due to vents or volcanic activity might have life below the permafrost.

And then yes finding life that could live and thrive in arsenic environments is another.

Water bears are Life's cheat code.
Indeed.

Never understand why people do not provide links when posting something like this??

Anyway...

Yes. Life finds a way.

I remember when the thesis for a life equation always involved photosynthesis or sunlight. Then they explored these deep ocean thermal vents and found in areas where zero sunlight penetrated life still abounded based on chemosynthesis. taking energy from heat without light. And this spawned a whole new area of speculation as suddenly planets that were permanently frozen but might have deep oceans with still some moving warm water due to vents or volcanic activity might have life below the permafrost.

And then yes finding life that could live and thrive in arsenic environments is another.

Indeed.

my bad. i tjought did. i fixed the op.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/new-discovery-could-change-way-we-look-alien-life-ncna827921

Back