Life after Death: No Heaven, just infinite blackness

Yeah, im having anxiety over work, family, stressful week.

And now a crippling fear of death, not only that im not sure which is scarier the perspective of nothingness or eternal life.

Jesus, im having a nervous breakdown while im on my house alone without my wife. If i was addicted to drugs i would had killed myself.

I need to sleep and i need some medication.

Good night Sherdog.

what is there to be stressed or anxious about man..

You exist for a while, maybe 100 years if youre lucky, and then you simply cease to exist. Youre here and then you arent. When you are dead you wont miss being alive. You wont....anything.

This should be liberating to you rather than terrifying.

You have around 100 years of existing compared to an infinity years of not existing. the most terrifying thing in the world to you should be wasting a single minute of those 100 years stressing over the inevitable

You exist for a while, maybe 100 years if youre lucky, and then you simply cease to exist. Youre here and then you arent. When you are dead you wont miss being alive. You wont....anything.

You have around 100 years of existing compared to an infinity years of not existing. the most terrifying thing in the world to you should be wasting a single minute of those 100 years stressing over the inevitable

Because the body is stupid like that.

Panic attacks arent quite rational but it seems that the body also has a way to deal with them, cold sweats are over and now warm blood flows through my veins.

Feels like when you get out of a cold pool, i guess im off to sleep.

Because I don't want to be nothing. I like being alive, having a "soul", being nothing sucks. I understand when it happens I won't be around to know because I'll be dead. It's not the fear of death to me, it's the fear that it's all over.

That is absolutely true.

And it is also absolutely true that no one can make that statement unless that is true for them because, by definition if they believe they can be a good person without a good or after life or some form of continuity then so to can others and therefore that statement has no meaning.

So whenever someone makes that statement they are projecting and there is no way around that. They are saying "i could not be a good person without that" and that leads them to want to believe that is true of everyone and not just them so they therefore do not see themselves as a person of little or bad character.

Honestly if they want an alternative just look to evolution, what they should class as "goodness" is largely the result of our nature. Ever since Darwin religion has tended to view that as "law of the jungle" that we'd care for nothing but furthering our genes and hedonism but the reality is even back in the 19th century the idea of "survival of the kindest" existed. That humans have a very highly evolved sense of empathy, both to out family and to a wider community in order to allow us to function as social animals, that's why "good deeds" feel fulfilling in a way hedonism often does not.

To be fair I think its a mistake to mischaracterise everyone strongly religious as being driven by fear of death though, I'm sure many of them are really driven by the above and lead fulfilling lives as a result even if they might place the source of their empathic reaction somewhere else.

Because the body is stupid like that.

Panic attacks arent quite rational but it seems that the body also has a way to deal with them, cold sweats are over and now warm blood flows through my veins.

Feels like when you get out of a cold pool, i guess im off to sleep.

Yea man I get you. anxiety/panic attacks can be absolutely debilitating and the worst experience in the world even if you know in your mind youre being silly. been there many times before. but pondering about what I said helps me often to stay grounded

And now a crippling fear of death, not only that im not sure which is scarier the perspective of nothingness or eternal life.

Jesus, im having a nervous breakdown while im on my house alone without my wife. If i was addicted to drugs i would had killed myself.

Good night Sherdog.

Be safe, Rod.
Get the rest you need this weekend.

Break your work responsibilities down to the smallest tasks and start crushing them on Monday morning.

Get your confidence rolling.

You're a motherfucking Sherdogger. Anxiety can kiss your ass.

Honestly if they want an alternative just look to evolution, what they should class as "goodness" is largely the result of our nature. Ever since Darwin religion has tended to view that as "law of the jungle" that we'd care for nothing but furthering our genes and hedonism but the reality is even back in the 19th century the idea of "survival of the kindest" existed. That humans have a very highly evolved sense of empathy, both to out family and to a wider community in order to allow us to function as social animals, that's why "good deeds" feel fulfilling in a way hedonism often does not.

To be fair I think its a mistake to mischaracterise everyone strongly religious as being driven by fear of death though, I'm sure many of them are really driven by the above and lead fulfilling lives as a result even if they might place the source of their empathic reaction somewhere else.
Hedonism and kindness are not mutually exclusive, either.

If it's not hurting anyone, do what you like.

Ya I should not let it bother me so much that there are people so bad at their core liek @BearGrounds who say if there is no form of afterlife they would immediately fall to rape, pedophilia and murder (anything) because the ONLY thing that keeps them from doing it is that afterlife.

These are not good people and in fact they are rotten to their cores. they look inward in themselves and recognize they are not good. And because of that they assume everyone else is rotten like them which is wrong and sad.

Good night Sherdog.
Be well Rod. Remember one foot in front of the other. Step by step by step, you just keep moving.

Hedonism and kindness are not mutually exclusive, either.

If it's not hurting anyone, do what you like.

Yeah certainly as of course isn't personal achievement, I tend to think philosophy is much better off spending time looking at specifics and balance than it is looking to give some justification for human drives that actually have a pretty strong scientific basis.

We're all insignificant ripples in a vast ocean. With enough time, no matter how heavy your stone was dropped, your ripple will fade and be forgotten.

I believe that once our neurons stop firing and consciousness fades, we're gone, and that's that. We get mixed back into the soup.

I believe that while in the big picture we're utterly insignificant, in the entire universe that is another insignificant individual's life, we can be hugely important, and I believe it's important to do so. There are a handful of people whose lives I have helped make better, and so I have spread my influence across those universes.

It's all a matter of perspective. Narrow your focus to find value in your life, and don't get lost in the infinite.

Ya I should not let it bother me so much that there are people so bad at their core liek @BearGrounds who say if there is no form of afterlife they would immediately fall to rape, pedophilia and murder (anything) because the ONLY thing that keeps them from doing it is that afterlife.

These are not good people and in fact they are rotten to their cores. they look inward in themselves and recognize they are not good. And because of that they assume everyone else is rotten like them which is wrong and sad.

{<jimmies}{<jimmies}{<jimmies}

Still misrepresenting my stance. Wow I really rustled you, didn't I? LMAO.

I'm living in your pathetic head, rent free. We had an argument on a forum to explore ideas. You were gotten to because I took a stance opposed to yours, for the sake of making an argument and gaining understanding for us both. Stop being a complete bitch about it.

At this rate, I'll be in your head until you die and become nothing. ;):cool:

Last edited:
There is no hell. Imo we reincarnate. But I would never say that, or any other afterlife hypothesis with 100% certainty. We just don't know. But I have had some personal experiences that make me question religion.

Reincarnate? Then where do all the extra souls come from when population incrases? And vice versa

I'm much more open to the possibility of there being an afterlife since I started smoking dmt.

I don't believe in the physical hell. My version of hell is basically if you're a good person, but get shitted on throughout life. As in: You want a good decent wife, but all you attract is damaged goods, You go to school for a good career, but you always end up under employed,,,

Good night Sherdog.

Jesus fuck Rod1, have a drink bud.

But actually I experienced something similar the other day while I was working out. I realized that I was through another decade of my life and that the decades I had left were countable on two hands and the decades I had left with the family I grew up with probably countable on one. Even if I see my parents 20 times a year for 20 more years that's only like 400 solid visits left, assuming they stay healthy for that long.

Then I considered the contingency of adulthood and that I'd really have to put some work into setting up a family of my own to pass on that experience of innocence to the next generation before coming to an end myself. Not a lot of time left to accomplish the things I want to be known for when I'm gone. Then I considered the infinite blackness for a while and found it pretty terrifying.

Then when the cold sweat subsided I went back to my workout lol.

Because I don't want to be nothing. I like being alive, having a "soul", being nothing sucks. I understand when it happens I won't be around to know because I'll be dead. It's not the fear of death to me, it's the fear that it's all over.
Exactly what I feel too.

1). No one, I'll repeat, NO ONE knows what will happen to us after we die. The only thing that any of us can do is speculate.

2). Until the brain is dead a person cannot be considered categorically dead. Comatose is not death. Being under anesthesia is not death.

3). The fact that we remember nothing prior to being born into existence is not proof that there is nothing after we die. Non existence and cessation of life are two entirely different things.

I would guess that after-life is exactly like before-life.

And what is that like? Science has no explanation for what consciousness is and it still remains a mystery and within the realm of philosophy / metaphysics.

Perhaps your consciousness was in some other form before you manifested into your current experience.

Reincarnate? Then where do all the extra souls come from when population incrases? And vice versa

Different planets. The Earth is like a spiritual university and we are here to have experiences, but it is only 1 planet of many. Souls migrate from planet to planet depending on what experiences they wish to have, or need to have, depending on their karma. The end game is to elevate your soul to a higher plane of existence.

I'm not saying this is 100% true. No one knows for sure what happens when we die. But the more I look into reincarnation the more I'm convinced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back