Liberals Three Times More Likely Than Conservatives to 'Unfriend' on Social Media Over Politics

• Thread starter Deleted member 457759
  • Start date
Yea, this is anecdotal evidence of course, but there are several lib friends of mine on FB who felt the need to announce that "they had to" unfriend some of their conservative friends/family during this last election cycle.

This past election brought out the worst in people (from both sides).

I didn't block anyone, but it did prompt me to get off of Facebook permanently. Just about everyone I knew became an insufferable douche bag.

Some of my liberal friends were decrying the end of the nation as we knew it. The attitude of complete defeat irritated me; there's another election in 4 years. I wasn't a fan of the result myself, but buckle down and do the next one better. That's where the energy should have been focused. Or at least, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we're still in a democracy. Jesus Christ, I mocked people like Rip who kept talking about how Obama was certainly going to become a dictator and force a third term. I can't overlook that when people I more or less agree with start throwing the same accusations the other way.

And some of my conservative friends, who days before the election were asking people to "stop talking about politics and start posting about food again" suddenly went meme happy in the days following the election and forgot about their own pleas. It was a weird about-face, where my conservative friends were decrying how liberals had treated them for the last 8 years - and then began treating liberals in a manner that they admit is smug and unacceptable.

Everyone either outed themselves as cry babies or hypocrites. I have better things to do with my time than read the thoughts of unprincipled whiners.

...now back to posting in the war room where everything is balanced and sane.

From my time on fb the trend is people on the right post stuff that is clearly fake news without irony and people on the left post the most outlandish opinion pieces without irony. I have definitely seen more left wing people saying "if you don't agree just unfriend me now" though

tumblr_inline_p6znrqlZUY1sazta9_540.jpg

Its like for the first time you guys are realizing the only solution government uses is violence.

no one wants to be with friends a right winger and no one wants to fuck a right winger

I've never un-friended anyone.. I've had people un-friend me for various reasons. my favorite reason is that I am a brutally honest dickhead who doesn't give a shit...
People really hate honesty. But I think things would be better if we were all honest all the time.

Political discussion among people who don't agree on those issues can be enlightening and beneficial to all involved. But discussions about ugly and childish personal attacks on the candidates are pointless and should be avoided.

This should be something simply adhered by all...

and admittedly, I fell off the wagon a couple times and resorted to ad hominen stupid shit...

but this quote above should be something we all strive for.

It's already been touched on, but obviously the article does not put forward a plausible theory as to why this is happening - the author, along with the TS, just assumes left leaning folks simply don't want to hear opposing view points. Bad logical leap there.

We know that Russian bots utilized social media to tilt the election towards Trump and they pushed bogus stories to do so. Perhaps the reason the left blocks more people than the right is the lack of quality content and inflammatory stories. People on the right were literally sharing fake news.

Another element at play is that a huge part of politics for the Trump supporters is "triggering the libs". Who wants to put up with that shit? The left thinks the right is wrong on a lot of issues but the worst you'll get there is a lefty sharing anti-GMO shit or something.

Last edited:
I didn't block anyone, but it did prompt me to get off of Facebook permanently. Just about everyone I knew became an insufferable douche bag.

Some of my liberal friends were decrying the end of the nation as we knew it. The attitude of complete defeat irritated me; there's another election in 4 years. I wasn't a fan of the result myself, but buckle down and do the next one better. That's where the energy should have been focused. Or at least, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we're still in a democracy. Jesus Christ, I mocked people like Rip who kept talking about how Obama was certainly going to become a dictator and force a third term. I can't overlook that when people I more or less agree with start throwing the same accusations the other way.

Everyone either outed themselves as cry babies or hypocrites. I have better things to do with my time than read the thoughts of unprincipled whiners.

...now back to posting in the war room where everything is balanced and sane.

yup...this is what drove me crazy the most...the whole "America is doomed" and America is done, "Hitler is back..." shit ...

I'm like, "are you fu*king kidding me. we survived 8 years of GWB. this will be nothing."

I think it's rash to end friendships over choosing a candidate, because choosing the candidate doesn't mean you support all of their platform and that you won't fight back against the parts you disagree with. And abstaining from voting or apathy towards it isn't any better. But obviously "political differences" can run a large spectrum. Segregation used to be a "political difference." And yes, you should stop being friends with people who think segregation is a good idea.

Why would you want to be friends with people who believe in stupid shit like jade helm, flat earth, Comet pizza or trickle down economics in the first place?

Why would you want to be friends with people who believe in stupid shit like jade helm, flat earth, Comet pizza or trickle down economics in the first place?

This went completely under my radar. My god.

Wouldn't be happening if someone like Bush, Graham, or Kasich was the POTUS, but yeah, someone continuing to support Trump (and not just held their noses in 2016 and voted against Hillary hoping for the best) is a major tool bag.

i actually see this all the time, but I think it's just the average liberal voter takes the issues more seriously?

or they are weakminded, either one, strong willed people don't get offended nor 'delete' or 'block' people on SM. That's mad childish

Yeah, I mean this guy has too many FACTS. Leftists seem to hate that.

Their is an idea that everything we write is autobiographical.
facts? you having a laugh?

also its there*

I'm in the middle and I can honestly say my liberal friends are far more sensitive. I think both sides can be stubborn as hell though.

Wouldn't be happening if someone like Bush, Graham, or Kasich was the POTUS, but yeah, someone continuing to support Trump (and not just held their noses in 2016 and voted against Hillary hoping for the best) is a major tool bag.
Good point. This cult like allegiance to Trump is certainly horrible to interact with on social media.

Back