liberalism is a mental disease - what does that mean?

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I see people write that and say that. What does it suppose to mean?

How are they defining liberalism?

To me liberals promote individual rights, free speech, free press, freedom of religion, secular governments and gender equality. Guys like John Stuart Mills who said the state should get involved unless there is harm or injury is a major guy for liberalism.

It seems like guys like Rush Limbaugh have tried to make liberal a derogatory term. I am still not sure what people mean when they say liberals in a derogatory way. I think they mean leftists or Marxists.

When you or your friends say liberalism is a mental disorder, how are you defining liberalism?

The SJW types going into lectures and disrupting speakers are not liberals. They are partaking in illiberal actions.

It means the vast majority of people inhabiting the developed Western world who happen to the left of American conservatives are all mentally ill. Basically everyone is crazy except for 50 million Trumpsters.

total absence of critical thought...if you tolerate everything you eventually come full circle and start tolerating the untolerable...like islam

It was the name of a crappy Michael Savage book from 10 to 15 years ago.

I see people write that and say that. What does it suppose to mean?

How are they defining liberalism?

To me liberals promote individual rights, free speech, free press, freedom of religion, secular governments and gender equality. Guys like John Stuart Mills who said the state should get involved unless there is harm or injury is a major guy for liberalism.

It seems like guys like Rush Limbaugh have tried to make liberal a derogatory term. I am still not sure what people mean when they say liberals in a derogatory way. I think they mean leftists or Marxists.

When you or your friends say liberalism is a mental disorder, how are you defining liberalism?

The SJW types going into lectures and disrupting speakers are not liberals. They are partaking in illiberal actions.
triggered.

My take is this:

It's a phrase used by people who identify as conservative as an attempt to lump people who ascribe to liberalism as a philosophy or political ideology, premised on an incomplete or incorrect interpretation of what liberalism is. It tends to emphasize fairly extreme notions, and then claim that all liberals adhere to same. People who use the phrase tend to hone in on issues of sexual identity, reproductive rights, and other touchstone liberal issues as proof that liberals are crazy, and believe that anything goes as long as you believe it.

For instance, liberal notions of gender as a fluid social construct that permit individuals to self-identify lead these people to say: so if I identify as an attack helicopter, that means I am one? Liberalism is a mental illness.

Or, latch on to the liberal idea that marriage is nothing but a contract in the eyes of a law, rather than a religious sacrament, which is supposedly explicitly separated by virtue of the constitution, and is therefore open to persons to marry whomever they chose, provided they are of legal age and free of duress, and say: what's next? Marrying my dawwwg? Marrying kids?!? You guys are sick, liberalism is a mental illness.

Or further still, attack liberal social programs, ignoring that the bulk of the programs support old people without pensions, and say: all you hipster millennials are mooching off the system! Things aren't given to you on a silver platter, you gotta work for it! Stop taking handouts! Liberalism is a mental illness.

That, as far as I can tell, is what it means.

Last edited:
Just a Bro-Psychology definition. Nothing to take seriously.

The following video is a perfect example of what people are referring to when they say liberalism is a mental disorder. Notice the delusion, hypocrisy, rage and smug self-righteousness.

When you can't undermine something with a logical argument, you just call it stupid or a disease.

Perhaps originally liberals promoted free speech, those days are long gone.

total absence of critical thought...if you tolerate everything you eventually come full circle and start tolerating the untolerable...like islam

This is a good and fair point. At times liberals do not defend their values as well as they should.

..if you tolerate everything you eventually come full circle and start tolerating the untolerable...like islam

Or you simply get walked on and eventually discarded.

Free speech is a core tenant of liberal ideology.

It is leftist (or sometimes people on the right) who are act illiberally if they prohibit free speech. But this may be more of a semantic argument.

The following video is a perfect example of what people are referring to when they say liberalism is a mental disorder. Notice the delusion, hypocrisy, rage and smug self-righteousness.

Not going to defend her, because I don't know who she is and I don't watch the Young Turks, but these are pretty blatantly cherry-picked and devoid of any context whatsoever. Hard to form an opinion.

That's especially true considering that liberals were found to have greater levels of neuroticism.

You might consider re-reading your link there, buddy. It specifically retracts that finding to correct it as: "and where the original manuscript reports those higher in neuroticism and social desirability are more liberal, they are, in fact, more conservative."

Nah, they just more ardently rail against hate speech, which is generally not protected under the First Amendment. It's more nuanced than that, but as a general rule, if something is meant to rally support against a group or individual in a violent or threatening way, it is not protected.

It's not a blanket rule.

You might consider re-reading your link there, buddy. It specifically retracts that finding to correct it as: "and where the original manuscript reports those higher in neuroticism and social desirability are more liberal, they are, in fact, more conservative."

Right. They had to retract it, because the data had the representation flipped. It makes sense that people like you would be more neurotic and authoritarian. All of your policy prescriptions revolve around solving societal issues with violence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back