Liberal government advised not to call young people 'millennials' lest they be insulted

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you thought Millennials were overly sensitive, participation seeking Nancy's... you may have been right!

Liberal government advised not to call young people 'millennials' lest they be insulted

A $54,000-study conducted in March found that young people aged 16 to 30 thoroughly resent how they're labelled

OTTAWA — Don’t call young people “millennials,” because they find the term offensive, the federal government has been told.

In focus groups conducted for Employment and Social Development Canada, researchers determined earlier this year the word elicits “strong negative connotations” and is “considered derogatory and insulting to this generation.”...

For their part, Canadian youth said it leads to stereotypes about “kids not working, with a crappy job, sponging off their parents,” as one participant said. The word is usually “used to describe our faults,” and to describe a generation that is “lazy” with “no ambition,” said others. A “bad generation.”

The report was delivered to government just weeks before the internet started arguing about avocado toast.

Death to all millenials

Well it does have a negative connotation.

Instead of not liking being called millennials, my suggestion is for millennials to stop being such a shit generation.

I thought these generational terms were specific to the US. Stop copying us Canada.

Also half the people on this forum shitting on millennials are millennials. There seems to be a misunderstanding of what the age range is. If you were born in the 80s you're a millenial.

Last edited:
The fact that they are insulted by the term millennial sums up the issue quite nicely....Sorry, I meant Gen Y :rolleyes:

Also, people who are younger teenagers are considered Gen Z

My brother is like that and he’s a millennial. He went on some long rant about how millennials are portrayed negatively and it’s offensive. Like dude how many levels of irony are you on with the getting offended shit

The other day I said something was retarded and he said “I hope you don’t actually say that to mentally handicapped people”. Why yes, all the time. Gotta tiptoe on every subject with him.

I think that people look at liberal millennials as all millennials

They don't realize how many of us were spamming the net with trump and Pepe memes to piss them off

They have it defined spot on in the OP

My brother is like that and he’s a millennial. He went on some long rant about how millennials are portrayed negatively and it’s offensive. Like dude how many levels of irony are you on with the getting offended shit

The other day I said something was retarded and he said “I hope you don’t actually say that to mentally handicapped people”. Why yes, all the time. Gotta tiptoe on every subject with him.
<{cuts}>

hopefully they all die of aids since they're the most promiscuous generation

I'm right smack in the middle of the millennial generation, and I used to kind of like the term. Now it's whatever, but you know the generation before me will come in throwing it around any chance they get thinking it's some huge insult, that is between while they're getting divorced or filing another bankruptcy of course.

Thought this would be The Beaverton.

That headline should only ever be satirical.

Millennials didn't have a problem with it at first. But they have embarrassed themselves as a generation and don't like the name anymore.

Who the fuck cares.

Fucking bunch of whinging bitches in this thread.

This wasn't a protest or anything they got asked a question and they answered.

I member when gen X was the slacker generation.....

And the news cycle marches on.......

Since when the fuck are 16 year olds millenials?

Most millenial classifications start in 84.

A 16 year old is Gen Z

Back