Lewis vs Holyfield 1 worst elite boxing robbery of all time?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes it's worse than Canelo-GGG.

I have seen the fight several times and if you don't believe me read this:

"The raw statistics of the fight suggested the bout belonged to Lewis, who landed 348 punches compared to Holyfield's 130. Lewis also out-jabbed Holyfield 137 to 52.[27]

"Judge Eugenia Williams, who scored the fight in Holyfield's favour, said she saw Lewis land fewer punches than Holyfield."[28]

Cataracts?

Must be the right result; dodgy decisions happen everywhere but the US according to some deluded fools

Lewis clearly won that fight and it cost me a ton as well. Oh well made the money back on the next Holyfield and Tyson fight

that fight and a couple others around that time/era broke me on being a boxing fan because of how much BS that decision was...and now we have those judges in mma >.> lol

Must be the right result; dodgy decisions happen everywhere but the US according to some deluded fools

Lewis clearly won that fight and it cost me a ton as well. Oh well made the money back on the next Holyfield and Tyson fight

How did you manage that when the Holyfield-Tyson fights were before the Lewis-Holyfiedl fights?

I think that it was the worst in modern history, at least at that level. Paul Williams over Ersilandy Lara was possibly worse, but that was just a fight between contenders, not a fight for the HW championship of the world.

Yeah was pretty bad, that result was crooked.

While not on the same level, Schulz v Foreman always stuck in my mind as a huge robbery, i have only watched the fight once though

How did you manage that when the Holyfield-Tyson fights were before the Lewis-Holyfiedl fights?
Probably he meant Lewis's fight with Holyfield and Tyson.

Lewis vs Tyson. Probably didn’t make myself very clear

My mate hated Lewis so I was more than happy to take his money from him each time he fought a decent fighter

The irony is that Lewis won the rematch even though it was much closer. The first one wasn't even competitive as Holyfield admitted after their second bout.

Canelo/Golovkin wasn't even a robbery, so I don't know why it's mentioned. Whitaker/Chavez is probably worse than Lewis/Holyfield 1.

Canelo/Golovkin wasn't even a robbery, so I don't know why it's mentioned. Whitaker/Chavez is probably worse than Lewis/Holyfield 1.

I suggest you rewatch it. Lennox lewis did everything but knock the man out. It was target practise for most of the rounds.

Elite fight Robbery
- Pac/Bradley: I don't see how that fight can be scored any closer than 7-5 Pacman, which is being very generous to Bradley and giving him any close round. I've watched it only twice but scored it 8-4 then 9-3. Horrible.
- Lewis/Holyfield: Kind of like Pac/Bradley, really no possible way you can score that fight any closer than 7-5 Lewis. Holyfield won 3 or 4 rounds, reasonably.
- Oscar/Sturm: This was one of the worst robberies because every single person in the world knew Sturm had to dominate to win, so they could set up the Hopkins/Oscar fight. The fight itself was competitive, it was nowhere near Pac/Bradley level robbery, but the circumstances around it made it worse. That fight was clear as day 7-5 for Sturm, possibly 8-4, but they found a way to give any round that was mildly close to Oscar. I point people to this fight when they question whether boxing is corrupt.

Elite Fights, Bad Decision
- Canelo/Golovkin: There is a way to score the fight a Draw, but most think Golovkin won. I don't think a Draw is some outrageous outcome, but Golovkin should have been given the win. The way they scored it a Draw is disgraceful though. Byrd scoring it 10-2 and Moretti scoring it a Draw but gave round 7 to Canelo, clear corruption considering even Byrd scored round 7 for Golovkin.
- Ward/Kovalev: Kind of like Canelo/GGG. Kovalev won the "fight" clearly but there is a way to score it for Ward if you give him every benefit of the doubt, which the judges did.

Non-Elite Robbery
- Chavez/Vera 1: Disgraceful. Not sure how Chavez got the decision and some judge had him winning 8 of the 10 rounds. He lost that fight convincingly.
- Murata/N'Dam: Blatant robbery. Ryota won that fight 9-3 and the WBA President ordered a rematch after saying it was outrageous.
- Lara/Williams: Not much to say. Williams was completely outclassed, won maybe 4 rounds max.
- Rios/Abril: This one may be the worst. Rios won 1 or 2 freaking rounds.
- Helenius/Chisora: The ref was disgraceful and Chisora dominated. Not sure how the cards came back the way they did.

I guess how you qualify robbery would affect your answer here. What do you call a robbery?

While not on the same level, Schulz v Foreman always stuck in my mind as a huge robbery, i have only watched the fight once though

I was going to post the same. Kind of lame how Foreman retired right after.

Pacquiao-Bradley 1 sticks out in my mind as one of the worst decisions I've heard of. Remember turning it off thinking Pacquiao won anyway, got in my car and turned on my radio, found out listening to the radio Bradley won.

Crazy

Back