Lever Shot! - Smashy's illustrated guide to levering

fuckin A smashy! thanks

*puts all my mini plates on one side of dumbell*

Great post. I'll be trying some of these today. Check the "idiot moment in the gym" post in a few hours to see if I manage to crack myself in the face :)

Suggestions for juryrigging a light sledge to be heavier?

You look like the technoviking only with a haircut instead of the long ponytail.
P.s.- great thread have been wanting to work on grip and this looks like a far more interesting way to go about it thanks.

Add me to the "Wow, I've only been doing forward/reverse levering, I'm missing a lot" column.

awesome post

*goes to dig out his sledge hammer*

This thread is officially the shit. Thank you mini-Tank.

hey smashius, I was toying with helicopters today and they feel kinda weird to me. Like for anything besides warmup they may be too easy to unknowingly cheat on. additionally, it almost felt like rolling my shoulder while shrugging, like maybe the wrist isn't supposed to be loaded that way... thoughts?

Wow very nice post.

For the exercises you use with a thor hammer do you see a difference if the legnth in the pole is off? I have some mini sledge hammers, maybe 10 pounds or a little more, and I was thinking for now that would be a good alternative.

Heh heh heh. Nobody can break my wrist control on the mat. Cobra chokes and gift wraps for the win. I'd like to thank Smashy for this tutorial and B&Q for their thick-handled 12lbers.

wow thanks for the write up bro... ive been needing some good forarm workout... Im fresh off getting my pinky ripped off... long road ahead of me lol

hey smashius, I was toying with helicopters today and they feel kinda weird to me. Like for anything besides warmup they may be too easy to unknowingly cheat on. additionally, it almost felt like rolling my shoulder while shrugging, like maybe the wrist isn't supposed to be loaded that way... thoughts?

Meh, you're putting a load through your wrist, as long as it isn't going to cause injury I'm pretty sure the only long term effect will be stronger wrists.

I often use helis as just a warm up exercise as it's difficult to use a weight that will work all the wrist muscles at equal intensity. Use the exercises you like, ignore those you find awkward or uncomfortable.

BTW the other week I started playing around with overhead weaver walks, these are fucking evil.

I'd like to thank Smashy for this tutorial and B&Q for their thick-handled 12lbers
B&Q hammer + large box of B&Q nails => me winning 8 judo matches in a row with gyaku-juji-jime (cross choke)

If it's about grip and Smashius says it, I will listen. Thanks for the post man.

I've been doing lever work a lot more consistently lately, and I think Side to side levering in the 10-20 rep range (5-10 pronating, 5-10 supinating) with the heavy hammer II might be my favorite levering exercise for lower arm development. The thick handle really seems to add something extra, and the movement itself seems to hit both extensors and flexors in your forarms quite hard. I do it seated with my forearm resting on my leg and my hand holding the lever beyond my knee to minimize "cheating" by rotating the upper arm and shoulder.

Side to side levering

rotationalcopy.jpg

Again this is very similar to the pr4evious two exercise only this time you're going to pronate and supinate you hand (turn it palm up and palm down).

Just thought I'd weigh in and bump a worthwhile thread.

Back