"Levels to this s--t."

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
Recently in training iv been "seeing" things a lot clearer. Almost as if things are slowed down. I can actually set things up instead of just throwing consecutively in combination hoping to land. Iv even been able to start playing around (jumping low kick, spinning backfist to lead body kick). Been doing muay thai since i was around 15 now im 21. is this just what people mean when they say there's levels to this shit? I feel like i just went into next gear
*i dont do steroids so its not that*

C-_Yra1XsAA7nAz.jpg

There's levels (of proficiency, experience, fluidity etc.) within one martial art of course but then there's levels when you start to cross-train too. I've had "aha!" moments in every new martial art I tried. Linking them all together in free sparring is an amazing feeling. :)

I want to brag too, so my "aha!" moments that i can clearly define were:

-The moment I understood how to use the hips for the teeps. It was a very small detail, but it made a huge impact on involving my style.
-When i first moved and went to my second MT gym, I realized that my clinching game was above average.
-The moment a started cross training TKD, and when after a few months I finally found a MT place to train. The speed, the reflexes and my distance management had made a huge leap without me realizing it.
-After a few years helping guys train MMA, and picking some submission wrestling techniques along the way. I was constantly been destroyed by them on the mats. Until one day I rolled with some guys from another gym and realized that I don't suck so much on the ground. I can hold my own. I still hate it, but I' m not completely useless in it.

I want to brag too, so my "aha!" moments that i can clearly define were:

-The moment I understood how to use the hips for the teeps. It was a very small detail, but it made a huge impact on involving my style.
-When i first moved and went to my second MT gym, I realized that my clinching game was above average.
-The moment a started cross training TKD, and when after a few months I finally found a MT place to train. The speed, the reflexes and my distance management had made a huge leap without me realizing it.
-After a few years helping guys train MMA, and picking some submission wrestling techniques along the way. I was constantly been destroyed by them on the mats. Until one day I rolled with some guys from another gym and realized that I don't suck so much on the ground. I can hold my own. I still hate it, but I' m not completely useless in it.
hit them with the joe higashi kick

Recently in training iv been "seeing" things a lot clearer. Almost as if things are slowed down. I can actually set things up instead of just throwing consecutively in combination hoping to land. Iv even been able to start playing around (jumping low kick, spinning backfist to lead body kick). Been doing muay thai since i was around 15 now im 21. is this just what people mean when they say there's levels to this shit? I feel like i just went into next gear
*i dont do steroids so its not that*

You ever watch the anime kenichi? It may be a anime but theirs some truth to it, if you do something 100x everyday in 6 months you'll be able to do it in an instinct. You've basically been trainin as long as me the only thing is I started training when I was 2 months away from my 16th birthday.

Anyways you've got that instinct going and your seeing things in slow motion because of your repetition and experience. Have you fought yet?

You ever watch the anime kenichi? It may be a anime but theirs some truth to it, if you do something 100x everyday in 6 months you'll be able to do it in an instinct. You've basically been trainin as long as me the only thing is I started training when I was 2 months away from my 16th birthday.

Anyways you've got that instinct going and your seeing things in slow motion because of your repetition and experience. Have you fought yet?
Iv been moving around quite a bit the last 3 years. Iv been to 5 gyms in total and been at this current gym coming up a year. Plenty of sparring but i don't think iv been at a gym long enough for them. My coach has a fight record and hes been paying me extra attention as of late so fingers crossed

Iv been moving around quite a bit the last 3 years. Iv been to 5 gyms in total and been at this current gym coming up a year. Plenty of sparring but i don't think iv been at a gym long enough for them. My coach has a fight record and hes been paying me extra attention as of late so fingers crossed

Nice hopefully you get to fight. Especially if you got that instinct. If you see most things slower than they are, then you have a better chance of winning your fight. Just don't get cocky lol.

My first aha moment came very recently when I realised stuff about how important body, lead hand and lead foot positioning is. It is super important for boxing. Right now I am playing around it, trying to be in a good position always, trying to force spar partners in bad positions and recognising when they are in a bad position.
My countering improved and I am pretty confident going forward now as I know I am protected.
Heck my coach told I have improved a lot in the spar session today.

I had a mini aha moment today too with feeling comfortable to close down distance instead of backing off when I am attacked. I actually find it easier to smoother shots and then clinch and control than run back while hitting and defending. My SP friend who beats my ass often complimented me on having balls.
And the 2nd aha moment was that I did some recording from the session today and I look terribly disinterested and lazy. Gotta work on tempo and speed.

I've always been the person who needs more time drilling things over than most people to click, might not be great but its where I'm at now. Its not really surprising that things people get in a week takes me 2, but for me around the 4 year mark was when things shined and my technique got more fluid. After my first few events competing, I got how the "game" works and stopped treating every single strike like a kill shot, and played the game how its supposed to be.

let him bang

I think he wants to make you his wife now "Dave"........

Oooh Kenichi is one of my favorite animes! Haven't watched any since college actually but I do remember enjoying Kenichi very much. I like that they make the martial arts look flashy but not ridiculously overpowered like in Dragon Ball or Baki. And of course the whole premise of going from weak-ass nerd to martial arts bad-ass (with many mishaps on the way) is a story that probably many of us can relate to. I can...
<mma1>

The best thing about this its that fighting epiphanys are infinite, seemingly.

I clearly remember having one of those when I learned (right here in this forum, from Luis stuff) about weight distribution for punching about 6 years ago.

And just this weekend I had another about the very same subject.

You never know enough about anything, thats the ride

Back