Levels of sparring (visual aids):

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
This is something people seem to be in dire need of as the number of threads popping up questioning the levels of sparring increases. It seems people are having a hard time gauging what is what. So let's just put it out there.

THIS...is light sparring:

More common in Muay Thai than Boxing, but light sparring can be a tool to perfect technique while still having the viable threat of being touched. Speed is often utilized with lacks of power. Two of the fighters in the above video were scheduled to fight the next day, hence the call for light sparring. Normally competitive fighters prefer not to spar lightly, and some long-time competitors lose the ability to even go "light"...so be careful when requesting it of Gym veterans.

This is another example. A newer fighter with a much more experienced fighter, and it's easy to tell which one is holding back:

THIS...is moderate sparring:

As is this:

As sparring activity and experience ramps up, getting closer to a fight, competitors like to begin with moderate and move to hard sparring midway through prep, then taper back down to moderate sparring. It's not too heavy, people are getting hit but no one is particularly trying to kill each other. Full speed, but between 50-75% power is typical.

THIS...is hard sparring:

Hard sparring is the closest simulation to an actual fight. Full speed, up to 80% power, although some competitors go full power. When in with such a competitor most trainers will instruct their fighters on that situation, that they may find themselves in a "kill or be killed" scenario until they earn the opposition's respect. Hard sparring is not for people new to a Sport, and if someone starts going on you like this when you've only agreed to "light" or "moderate" sparring, then you or your trainer should IMMEDIATELY end the session.

As with any craft there are various levels of ability, hard sparring should only be undertaken by those who are savvy at defending themselves in such situations, or by two parties who agree that getting put in the Hospital is not a concern of theirs.

great post...sounds about right from what i thought the levels were in my own head.

Great post more people need to view this, I asked a kid at my fun to spar lightly the iter night and he came out guns a blazing, I emphasized "light" about 4 times as well.

Great thread. Hopefully we can reference this when people start wondering if their gym/partner is going too hard in practice.

Should this be stickied?

If it lives well, sure.

nice thread sinister, the guy jesus has pretty nice hooks

I hate how my gym isn't like this. Over here it's hard sparring every session. Your guys are really lucky.

If its supposed to be light, and a dickhead decides to go hard on me I have a couple options (IF my trainer don't stop the session, for whatever reason)

1 verbally address the guy
2 don't let him fight, either it be grabbing him for the entire round, or straight up runnin away around the ring, or the best one: combining the two haha

If its supposed to be light, and a dickhead decides to go hard on me I have a couple options (IF my trainer don't stop the session, for whatever reason)

1 verbally address the guy
2 don't let him fight, either it be grabbing him for the entire round, or straight up runnin away around the ring, or the best one: combining the two haha

Mr. Haze...where have you been?

that's a pretty good method actually...piss him off by not engaging lol

Or just get out of the ring and walk off.

Or just get out of the ring and walk off.

YES! That is absolutely the best,wiser idea... but I'm an annoying little guy haha just in case there's others around the block!

Mr. Haze...where have you been?

that's a pretty good method actually...piss him off by not engaging lol

hey man, I've been training a lot, had a couple more fights since the last one I posted here. I'm alright, thanks

I LIKE what T-Bone was doing. Outboxed the taller and possibly faster guy both on the inside and outside. Great job coach.

Donte is fast, but he wasn't faster than Taylor, especially of foot.

I hate how my gym isn't like this. Over here it's hard sparring every session. Your guys are really lucky.

Same here. No easy sparring at my gym....it turns into a brawl. Fun, but technique goes out the window during sparing sessions.

How many fights does a shorter guy have ?

Very nice job on his part here - the other guy is taller and faster but the sparring is very close. He doesn't look very athletic, but actually has pretty fast hands.

Nice technique also - lateral movement left and right, head movement, combinations, quick jab, switches stances sometimes when defending.

Donte isnt faster than Taylor. Hand speed was equal, Taylor had faster feet. He had 3 Pro fights, and was 0-2-1. John and I had him looking like that right about the time he quit.

Back