Let's talk about the encyclopedia. . .

I only really remember using a pocket encyclopedia for games like Where in the World is Carmen San Diego back when I was a little kid

I only really remember using a pocket encyclopedia for games like Where in the World is Carmen San Diego back when I was a little kid

A pocket encyclopedia for games? I'm not sure I know of such a thing.

You get the whole set?

i got most of them. i remember being bummed i came up a few short. the grocery store stopped carrying the ones i was collecting. i bet these things are still in my mother's attic. next time i go there i am gonna have to see.

this was the version i was collecting
695b1a11722a83515109367b5257703e.jpg

i got most of them. i remember being bummed i came up a few short. the grocery store stopped carrying the ones i was collecting. i bet these things are still in my mother's attic. next time i go there i am gonna have to see.

this was the version i was collecting
695b1a11722a83515109367b5257703e.jpg

That looks a lot like the ones I had. About what year was that?

Yea, that's what I'm trying to tell you. If its not on the internet, the kids of today don't give a fuck bro. In fact, most people's families didn't have a set of encyclopedias so these kids don't even understand it was way worse than that. You had to go to the library and spend hours there going through an entire building full of books. Kids of today even communicate Twitter style where everything is condensed down into 14 words or less.
My biggest problem with Wikipedia is a good deal of the articles that I read do not have proper citations. You read them and immediately see on top that there is no proper citations so you don't know if the information posted in the article is legitimate or not. Loudwire which is a heavy metal website has a reporter who does wikipedia fact or fiction with bands or individual band members. Many of the artists have said stuff inside the articles is false or incorrect.

Teenagers today have the sum of human knowledge at their fingertips and don't even give two shits. I'm 32 and I love it the fact I can look up almost anything and learn about it. Back in the day I had to go to the library if I wanted to learn about a certain subject, today I just have to go turn my browser on and go. I love it this way because I'm a big history buff, especially both world wars and it feels good knowing I can look up information relatively quickly
Dude I'm 32 as well and we have pretty much had the world at our fingertips too our whole lives.... your not 50

Dude I'm 32 as well and we have pretty much had the world at our fingertips too our whole lives.... your not 50

I was born in the 1960's. When you were born in 1984 I was already driving a car and banging broads. I can still remember my grandmother being on a party line for her telephone service. That's where you share a phone line with your neighbors. We would pick up the phone to use it and hear people talking on it. Just gotta hang up and wait because that is your neighbors talking on the phone you shared a line with. Forget internet and cell phones, when I was young we didn't even have cable television yet.

1983 looks like. i see a set for sale for $10 on amazon

Interesting. I was making an attempt to collect those in the mid-90s and I want to say they looked the same.

That Amazon set is worth $10. It's amazing how easily we throw knowledge away.

I'm 34, so not much older at all, and I very much identify more with the pre-Internet era than the Internet era itself.

I was born in the 1960's. When you were born in 1984 I was already driving a car and banging broads. I can still remember my grandmother being on a party line for her telephone service. That's where you share a phone line with your neighbors. We would pick up the phone to use it and hear people talking on it. Just gotta hang up and wait because that is your neighbors talking on the phone you shared a line with. Forget internet and cell phones, when I was young we didn't even have cable television yet.
Sorry I quoted the wrong post lol.....

I'm 34, so not much older at all, and I very much identify more with the pre-Internet era than the Internet era itself.
Well not that my family was Uber wealthy but my dad always had the latest and greatest electronics. I was the first of my friends to have the internet and a cell phone so maybe I'm the exception. I remember he brought home a DVD player when their was only one store in town that sold dvd's lol. The DVD player was the size of a suitcase

Well not that my family was Uber wealthy but my dad always had the latest and greatest electronics. I was the first of my friends to have the internet and a cell phone so maybe I'm the exception. I remember he brought home a DVD player when their was only one store in town that sold dvd's lol

Yeah, you may be the exception.

I got on the Internet for the first time when I was 15. I was a little older than that when I really started to pay attention to it.

I still read a ton of printed books, though. I have a VHS collection. I buy Blu-Rays.

I am not buying into the digital (and by that, I really mean non-physical) message.

Yeah, you may be the exception.

I got on the Internet for the first time when I was 15. I was a little older than that when I really started to pay attention to it.

I still read a ton of printed books, though. I have a VHS collection. I buy Blu-Rays.

I am not buying into the digital (and by that, I really mean non-physical) message.

I remember when a friend of mine got a Laserdisc, we thought it was the shit man.

th

th

I remember when a friend of mine got a Laserdisc, we thought it was the shit man.

th

th

At the time, it was.

We just didn't know that it would lead to every move being tracked and the idea of physical media being trampled upon.

We were so young. . .

I made it a point to hold onto the collection my parents got me and my brothers when we were kids.

rUP9f2Q.jpg

Along with the World Book (with Year Book editions from 1990 -2008) in that case, I've got:

The New Complete Medical and Health Encyclopedia: 4 Volumes

Growing up with Science: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Invention Vols. 1-24 set (1-24)

I just couldn't let em go.

I made it a point to hold onto the collection my parents got me and my brothers when we were kids.

rUP9f2Q.jpg

Along with the World Book (with Year Book editions from 1990 -2008) in that case, I've got:

The New Complete Medical and Health Encyclopedia: 4 Volumes

Growing up with Science: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Invention Vols. 1-24 set (1-24)

I just couldn't let em go.

That's cool. Why did you quit buying the year books? Just figure enough was enough and we have the Internet now?

Speaking of the year books, how exactly do they work? Like, do they provide a comprehensive update to all articles that need it or what's the deal with them?

That's cool. Why did you quit buying the year books? Just figure enough was enough and we have the Internet now?

Speaking of the year books, how exactly do they work? Like, do they provide a comprehensive update to all articles that need it or what's the deal with them?

My folks discontinued them because me and my brothers were older by that point, and out of the house. Plus the internet.

When they were moving to a different location they were going to let them go, and asked if any of us would like to keep them instead. My brothers declined, I said I'm taking those shits. I wrote mad papers in Grade/JHS/HS off the strength of those encyclopedias, and they're still great to read through today.

The year books are basically the year in review. An annual supplement. They include special reports, news updates, dictionary additions and such. Sometimes they'll also include something random, like some interesting information about what took place 100 years ago from that particular year.

Back