Let's talk about disaster movies, a.k.a. I rewatched Dante's Peak last night for the first since '97

Granny pushing the boat further. Feels.

It's a horrific scene, but while watching the movie I was like, "Did that bitch really feel like it was necessary to jump out of the boat like that?" Pierce seemed to be doing okay paddling with his jacket wrapped around his hand.

It's a horrific scene, but while watching the movie I was like, "Did that bitch really feel like it was necessary to jump out of the boat like that?" Pierce seemed to be doing okay paddling with his jacket wrapped around his hand.
Pierce should've just kicked the granny away. No need for that emotional baggage/trauma for the kids.

The neutrinos have mutated

i love disaster movies, deep impact is one i feel doesn't get a lot of credit.

Deep Impact I felt was better than Armageddon as well.

Deep impact might make you cry by the end.

All right, bros. I just finished Deep Impact.

It's funny, I had seen it before--once, in the theater--and I remembered thinking it wasn't very good. But having now re-watched it I realize that I remembered almost nothing about it. This was almost like watching it for the first time and, well, I'd give it the stamp of "pretty good." 7/10 kind of fare. Not great, but at the same time a pretty well put together movie.

It's funny though, the movie is kind of a bait-and-switch scam. For a disaster movie, there is suspiciously little disaster. Out of almost two hours, there is literally about 3 minutes of some shit on earth getting destroyed. That's it. So really what we have here is a drama that is dressed up like a disaster film.

In Twister, it doesn't take long at all before we get to see tornadoes fucking shit up. In Dante's Peak, about the last half of the film is dedicated to destruction. But with Deep Impact it's build up . . . build up . . . build up . . . and then a few minutes of a wave tearing some shit apart. While I personally found the approach interesting, I could see how someone who was going for the DISASTER part of the equation might be disappointed.

But all in all, I did enjoy it. I am surprised that it only holds a 48% on RT because if the critics were really going to get behind a film in this genre, it seems like THIS is the kind of film that would do it for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
All right, bros. I just finished Deep Impact.

It's funny, I had seen it before--once, in the theater--and I remembered thinking it wasn't very good. But having now re-watched it I realize that I remembered almost nothing about it. This was almost like watching it for the first time and, well, I'd give it the stamp of "pretty good." 7/10 kind of fare. Not great, but at the same time a pretty well put together movie.

It's funny though, the movie is kind of a bait-and-switch scam. For a disaster movie, there is suspiciously little disaster. Out of almost two hours, there is literally about 3 minutes of some shit on earth getting destroyed. That's it. So really what we have here is a drama that is dressed up like a disaster film.

In Twister, it doesn't take long at all before we get to see tornadoes fucking shit up. In Dante's Peak, about the last half of the film is dedicated to destruction. But with Deep Impact it's build up . . . build up . . . build up . . . and then a few minutes of destruction. While I personally found the approach interesting, I could see how someone who was going for the DISASTER part of the equation might be disappointed.

But all in all, I did enjoy it. I am surprised that it only holds a 48% on RT because if the critics were really going to get behind a film in this genre, it seems like THIS is the kind of film that would do it for them.

Elijah wood riding the dirkbike with his teen gf is probably the reason for a 48%

Good call. You're right- the damn shame of it is that Two-Face is a complex and interesting character (one of the most interesting and depressing comic villains in the DC universe) and TLJ as a great actor could have done that so well. Instead we get over-the-top cartoon Harvey with the Sugar and Spice girlfriends and the irrepressible desire to mug for the camera so as to not get overshadowed by Jim Carrey. Really lame.

When I think of Schumacher's Batman movies, I'm really convinced that they were both quite bad. Batman and Robin is universally considered bad (and for some so bad it's good/funny type bad) but I think there's a vocal group that think of Batman Forever fondly. I don't see it.

On the other hand I think Burton's movies are both sick. Batman Returns, for me, is awesome. One of the few comic book movies that pulls off the multiple villains very, very well. Penguin, Catwoman, and Schreck- all played by really solid actors giving awesome performances. Contrast the three villains in that movie- with the various team ups and double crosses to Batman Forever/Batman and Robin or Spiderman 3.

Not a fan of Schumacher's visual style for the Batman films, but I rather enjoyed the performances in Batman Forever. Carrey hammed it up as the Riddler. And yes, while Jones' performance was equally campy, I thought it suited Two Face's psychotic persona. And the film had a fucking kickass soundtrack.

Batman and Robin, on the other hand is absolutely inexcusable. Nipples on Batman and Robin's suits, but no nipples on Batgirl. WTF Hollywood.

I remember the 70's having a few good ones

The Poisiden Adventure
Towering Inferno
Some random volcano island that I can't remember

The kids never seem to die... lol

Armageddon

I seem to get something stuck in my eye around the end of the movie every damn time

I might do that one next. I just wish it wasn't so damn long.

Elijah wood riding the dirkbike with his teen gf is probably the reason for a 48%

Ha, what's funny is that was the ONE scene I could remember about the movie, but even then I didn't remember it accurately. For some reason, I remember it as them on a dirtbike against this VERY obvious and terrible looking greenscreen while shit behind them was getting fucked up. While that was half-way correct, it really doesn't look bad. I can't keep hating on it like I have been for the past 20 years.

Anybody here see Miracle Mile?...While it doesn't fit in with natural disaster movies, it does go hard on its own catastrophes

View attachment 229935

It could have been a really good movie but it went awry in the writing, especially the first act. The soundtrack and atmosphere were good, but the core of the movie was built on a house of cards that collapsed. The "romance" at the start was both immature and creepy.

Of course no discussion of disaster movies can go down without a mention of Armageddon. This is one I have mixed feelings about. It's a fun movie, but it's also too fucking long. It's Bay at his most Baysian.

armageddon.jpg

It's actually a pretty good movie. I wish some of the more egregious Bayisms could be removed in a Non-Director's Cut, though. They get more annoying with time.

It's actually a pretty good movie. I wish some of the more egregious Bayisms could be removed in a Non-Director's Cut, though. They get more annoying with time.

I should rewatch it. I watched maybe half of it a few months ago but haven't seen it all the way through in years.

Not a fan of Schumacher's visual style for the Batman films, but I rather enjoyed the performances in Batman Forever. Carrey hammed it up as the Riddler. And yes, while Jones' performance was equally campy, I thought it suited Two Face's psychotic persona. And the film had a fucking kickass soundtrack.

Batman and Robin, on the other hand is absolutely inexcusable. Nipples on Batman and Robin's suits, but no nipples on Batgirl. WTF Hollywood.
The score is really underrated because it's sandwiched between Elfman and Zimmer.

Does kinda make you wanna ham it up and dance around like a madman lol

The soundtrack was the first CD I ever owned. Good stuff.

Volcano gets a bad rap, it is fun popcorn movie and nothing more. The molten lava, Tommy Lee Jones, etc is all just icing on the cake. Now it has been years since I have seen Dante's Peak and I remember it being the better "volcano" movie of the two, which just means TS is making me want to watch Dante's Peak, again. The Towering Inferno (1974) with Steve McQueen and Paul Newman is a classic, a little older yet it fits the criteria of the thread.

Towering_inferno_movie_poster.jpg

Volcano gets a bad rap, it is fun popcorn movie and nothing more. The molten lava, Tommy Lee Jones, etc is all just icing on the cake. Now it has been years since I have seen Dante's Peak and I remember it being the better movie of the two.

I actually re-watched Volcano just last night. So Twister, Dante's Peak, The Day After Tomorrow, Deep Impact and Volcano have all gotten rewatches from me recently. Whew!

I thought Volcano was . . . okay. The effects are good. Tommy Lee Jones is obviously good. But I dunno, the LA setting just couldn't match the beautiful natural scenery of Dante's Peak or the grandeur of New York. The characters didn't have the charm of Twister. And calling it Volcano seemed like something of a misnomer. Lava: The Movie would've been better.

I do understand that some people enjoy it, though. Here's a whole thread where people are talking about how it's underrated:

https://moviechat.org/tt0120461/Volcano/58c764436b51e905f6828de1/I-liked-volcano

I definitely think you should check out Dante's Peak again. Like I said in the OP, I think it holds up very well.

And some point soon I'll have to go ahead and finish out my to-watch list, with Armageddon and San Andreas.

lol, pretty ironic thread. I just bought Dante's Peak yesterday on BD. Haven't watched it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Back