Let's talk about disaster movies, a.k.a. I rewatched Dante's Peak last night for the first since '97

I saw the new King Arthur last night (was great), but there was a preview for a movie called GEOSTORM (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981128/), which had a scene of a massive tidal wave hitting a big city (prob NYC).

It was either 2012, or the day after tomorrow, which has pretty much the exact same scene. Kind of irritated me.

Geostorm, hmm. Looks like it could be fun but it falls into that trap of over-reliance on CGI and ends up looking like a cut scene in a video game.

For anyone who is interested:

Last edited by a moderator:
hell yeah,loved Armageddon as well. love 2012 and day after tomorrow.

Armageddon? OK. Day After Tomorrow? Fine.

But 2012? Jesus man, I fucking HATED that movie. I thought it was the biggest piece of shit to come out that year.

Armageddon? OK. Day After Tomorrow? Fine.

But 2012? Jesus man, I fucking HATED that movie. I thought it was the biggest piece of shit to come out that year.
it has a special place in my heart,i went with a girl who at the time,was exactly half my age, we went back to her place after and had the most amazing sex. id forgotten that a 20 year old girls body would still be rock solid buy then.

I got Hard Rain reigning supreme in this genre.

51811F53EYL.jpg

A armored-truck driver and his nephew try to prevent three million dollars from being taken by a local rival gang during a catastrophic flooding caused by a severe storm.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120696/

Prime Christian Slater and Freeman. Great movie.

You know, that's one I still haven't seen. I remember hearing it wasn't that great though.

Is it really a disaster movie or just a movie that takes place in a storm?

Movie that takes place during a disaster.

I haven't seen it in a long time tbh. Could be underwhelming.

We couldn't let this thread go without mentioning @BisexualMMA's favorite disaster movie.

I watched this one for the first time just a few months ago. It is not without merit--some of the effects are pretty impressive and the performances are fun to watch--but it could've been so much more.

pompeii-poster.jpg

Daylight is a pretty good disaster movie. Probably one of the best

Classic Sly goodness

One quick thought:

I think disaster movies tend to work better when the area of the disaster is smaller, like a single town or county such as we see in Twister and Dante's Peak, than when the targeted area is the whole world or a country, like in the The Day After Tomorrow or 2012.

In 2015 this Norwegian film was released. Looks like it could be good.

I never did see that one. That bad, huh?

Was shocked by how bad it was. I pretty enjoy all of his movies a least a little bit. Might have been I've just seen this sort of movie play out so much though.

Some really great movies mentioned so far. Went to see this when it came out with my family and remember really enjoying it. Havnt watched it since but i can still vividly remember the old lady getting boiled in an acid lake.

One quick thought:

I think disaster movies tend to work better when the area of the disaster is smaller, like a single town or county such as we see in Twister and Dante's Peak, than when the targeted area is the whole world or a country, like in the The Day After Tomorrow or 2012.
Seeing large populations be presumably killed numbs you to the importance of major character death scenes

Back