Let's talk about David Branch

Impressive win, makes Rockholds win over him look more impressive. Before losing to him he had a huge win streak going for him. I agree to the guy who said him vs Weidman makes sense. 2 New Yorkers.

The guy lost to Rockhold in his last fight in round 2. He’s number 8, and KOd number 12. So of course some guy on SD wants him fighting the guy at number 4.

At least you didn’t call him the GOAT yet.

Why the fuck would Weidman want that fight ? What’s in it for him ? Branch deserves no higher than number 5.

The guy lost to Rockhold in his last fight in round 2. He’s number 8, and KOd number 12. So of course some guy on SD wants him fighting the guy at number 4.

Why the fuck would Weidman want that fight ? What’s in it for him ? Branch deserves no higher than number 5.
An acutal fight? Let's not act like Weidman would have a ton of leverage with that 1-3 record of his.

How highly ranked was Gastelum before his fight with Chris? It'd be the perfect fight to see if Weidman can keep his ranking, not to mention that the top 5 MW's are booked for the most part right now.

Solid guy, not afraid of tough fights, zero drama.

I would be down with Weidman vs Branch. Branch is a dark horse. He might not ever be champ, but he could pose a threat to numerous guys in the top 10.

Called out Rockhold to fight, and managed to get himself booked against Yoel before Yoel was moved to 221.

Too bad we didn't get to see that fight. Maybe they'll re-book it if Romero loses to Whitaker.

Branch floored Santos with a nice overhand, but damn.. Santos just keeps his chin up like I haven’t seen before! I get that he’s a offense-first type of guy, but he’ll get more where that came from unless he starts to tighten up his defense.

Surprise ending, but not too surprising result.

Uh, Weidman hasn't exactly had the best of luck lately. It's a win against the at least #8 guy, assuming Branch doesn't get moved up at all. Weidman is #5. Fighting #8 when you're at #5 isn't all that bad, especially when the guys ahead of him are all tied up at the moment. Also Weidman hasn't fought in almost a year, it's good to stay active and not risk losing your ranking due to inactivity, plus you might not want to come off the shelf against a killer.

Branch doesn't fight Serra-Jiu-Jitsu guys.

Branch is from the same Rikers cloth as Villante and Weidman. Streetfighter types. Real Bad people.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah that was a very nice win

I've always questioned Santos chin and he tested it

Also kinda looked like his leg was jacked and he thought 'fuck it'
Respect

Yeah that was a very nice win

I've always questioned Santos chin and he tested it

Also kinda looked like his leg was jacked and he thought 'fuck it'
Respect
I never questioned his chin, but considering that shot didn't look all that hard (which the two fighters doing commentary noted as well), there might be some questions there. I haven't seen enough to call him a glass jaw or anything, and to be fair, it was a well-placed counter that would have at least staggered most guys.

I'm sorry to say guys but I wasn't that thrilled.

Yes, he ended it early and with a nice shot at that, but that said, someone of his reputation and his cache should be winning those fights. People forget that David Branch was a two weight world champion in WSOF and actually defended both titles simultaneously, the guy came in with big, big, big expectations. The guy scraped past Jotko, who was billed to be some killer, but we have hence seen that he was all hype after being slept by mid-tier fighters back to back. Branch tapped to strikes against Rockhold, and since then has been a little forgotten about and shit on if I must say.

I picked him to win, although I thought it would be by submission. Even had him on a parlay of mine at 7/4 (great price).

Thiago Santos is a gatekeeper, Mousasi showed us this a while back.

I actually think he got a little lucky last night.
Santos stand up is sick and branch a submission guy?

crazy in mma, anything can happen

It wasn’t luck. Rewatch the fight, he set up that overhand right with a couple “failed” takedown attempts.

Once he got Santos thinking about the TD, he came over the top with that right hand.

TAM guys all do this.

I never questioned his chin, but considering that shot didn't look all that hard (which the two fighters doing commentary noted as well), there might be some questions there. I haven't seen enough to call him a glass jaw or anything, and to be fair, it was a well-placed counter that would have at least staggered most guys.

I thought Mousasi's was a little soft with him and put him out

I thought Mousasi's was a little soft with him and put him out
I didn't watch most of the fights from 200, so thanks for that context. Yeah, seems like his chin is suspect.

Just based on looking at him, I would've assumed Branch had some nasty punches. Hard to explain, but you know sometimes you just look at someone and you can tell.
That mentioned, I also remembered how swiftly Gegard Mousasi finished Thiago Santos. I guess Marreta is like Overeem in that he knows he has to impose his will first and control things otherwise there is the risk of a Ko strike landing.

Back