Let's settle this once and for all: Who's the greatest lead guitarist of all time?

I have to say Jimi Hendrix. He wasn’t the most brilliant technician. But the way he played was as if the guitar was just an extension of his personality. Every note had a reason for being played. No fat.

Hendrix and Clapton were also frontmen and songwritters.

Its hard to compare them to players who only focus on the lead aspect and dont carry a band.

I dont like thinking of art as a competition.. Especially at this level. We could argue all day about who we like better. Hendrix pretty much is considered the best if we had to all agree on someone.

Dimebag Darrell, he could shred fast and make it sound good and not like shit. I also think Randy Rhoades and Zakk Wylde are very good mentions. My favorite solos in songs have to be composed by Rhoades, but Wylde slays them all and sounds great whilst doing it. Solos like: Bark at the Moon (although it wasn't composed by Wylde, nor Rhoades), Mr. Crowley, Goodbye to Romance, Revelation (Mother Earth), and Flying High Again are all among my top solo list. Marty Friedman has some amazing work, too.

I can go on and continue on, but I must mention Jason Becker. He is one (if not) of my favorite solo artists.

There is no right answer, but I'll go with Hendrix.

no, he isnt.
er, yes he is. Clapton has made tons of blues albums and John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers is a quintessential blues album. The guy spent years and years learning to play like Robert Johnson and other blues greats.

I have to say, I've never heard anyone argue that Clapton is not a great blues guitarist.

John McLaughlin. Extremely talented and versatile in all kinds of music including jazz, classical, acid/psychedelic rock, hard rock, etc

Pat Metheny is another, very emotional and expressive guitarist. Made amazing use of the pikasso guitar.

[
er, yes he is. Clapton has made tons of blues albums and John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers is a quintessential blues album. The guy spent years and years learning to play like Robert Johnson and other blues greats.

I have to say, I've never heard anyone argue that Clapton is not a great blues guitarist.

I was just being legalistic since the guy tried to say he was simply a blues guitarist. alot of his important music drifts into psyche and hard rock.

[

I was just being legalistic since the guy tried to say he was simply a blues guitarist. alot of his important music drifts into psyche and hard rock.
I think he's a blues guitarist who branched out. Even his poppy stuff had bluesy guitar parts.

I think he's a blues guitarist who branched out. Even his poppy stuff had bluesy guitar parts.
yeah he is a legit blues guitarist, but cream for example is alot different than say BB King. to me the latter is real blues if you know what I mean.

No one could ever say who’s the greatest of all time. There has been some and still are and still to come guitarist who will be great.

There isn't a 'best'.

Just joking, it's Stevie Ray Vaughn.

The early post that said "it is subjective" nailed it.

Sad to see so many people now coming down on great guitarists just to prop their's up

Sherdog is gonna sherdog I guess.

Back