Let's just stop with this "Romero took the fight on short notice" BS

Branch acted upset on social media when Yoel pulled out of the fight but he was probably so relieved haha

Are you fucking kidding me? He invested a shitload of time training, away from his family, and was sleeping in the gym of all things. Of course he was upset when his fight got pulled. Not only did he lose money, but he will have to start all over again when they find him a new opponent. He should get a percentage of Yoel's win bonus.

Retard thread?

Romero had already been booked to fight David Branch in Orlando on Feb 24, so let's stop pretending like he just got off the couch and hadn't already been training for months already. Sure he had to cut his camp time back a couple of weeks, but let's not act as if he wasn't training just as hard for Branch as he would for Rockhold.

In fact, I think he was more eager to take the fight with Rockhold because he was worried Branch might expose him.

Let's just stop with this "Romero took the fight on short notice" nonsense.

Retard thread.

Even then, 1 month has never been considered short notice. Especially not for making weight.

Romero had already been booked to fight David Branch in Orlando on Feb 24, so let's stop pretending like he just got off the couch and hadn't already been training for months already. Sure he had to cut his camp time back a couple of weeks, but let's not act as if he wasn't training just as hard for Branch as he would for Rockhold.

In fact, I think he was more eager to take the fight with Rockhold because he was worried Branch might expose him.

Let's just stop with this "Romero took the fight on short notice" nonsense.

Guess guys don't need eight week training camps anymore, four to five will do. Here I thought all those professional trainers picked eight weeks to get the fighters in peek condition.. Who knew they only need around half of that.

TS you don't think trying for a five round fight for the belt is different that a three round fight! Also that you only need around half the time to get ready for 2 extra rounds?

Guess guys don't need eight week training camps anymore, four to five will do. Here I thought all those professional trainers picked eight weeks to get the fighters in peek condition.. Who knew they only need around half of that.

TS you don't think trying for a five round fight for the belt is different that a three round fight! Also that you only need around half the time to get ready for 2 extra rounds?
Yea i would understand if Romero wasn't as fit or had slight cardio issues.

We're not talking about that. We're talking about missing weight.

You cant make weight in 4 weeks? That's a joke. Its not like he bloats up Anderson Silva style in-between fights either.

This was a championship fight. If Yoel was that badly out of shape, he should have turned it down and instead fought 2 weeks later, as scheduled

This sounds retarded bias. It was a 3 pound MAX weight difference. You acting like Yoel didn't even cut weight. His face was sucked in too. He physically for whatever reason wasn't able to cut 2.someshit pounds. He wasn't like 5-10 pounds HEALTHY and HUGE ready to strongman poor little defenseless drained Luke.

First of all, you're aware that fighters don't walk around at their weight class weight right? So with that in mind, i don't know the exact weight that Luke and Romero walk around in their "off time", but let's assume both walk around at 200 lbs.

Now if Luke cuts to 185 and has a hard cut, and can barely speak the day of the weight in, and Romero cuts to 188 but is not affected by the weight cut because he didn't bother to cut the extra 3 pounds...who do you think will rehydrate better for their fight?

3 pounds of weight doesn't make difference in power, in makes difference in recovery after the weight cut, which if its easier you have a huge advantage over the other fighter.

You cant make weight in 4 weeks? That's a joke. Its not like he bloats up Anderson Silva style in-between fights either.

This was a championship fight. If Yoel was that badly out of shape, he should have turned it down and instead fought 2 weeks later, as scheduled

I'm not a huge fan of Yoel and his cheating tactics over the years. Thing is he has never missed weight before. I was watching a few vids on his training before the Rockhold fight and noticed at the time that his coaches pointed out this camp was totally focused on getting g him in shape.

Was wondering then if he had an injury so they were taking it easy. Of course fighters don't want to pull out of a fight if they're don't have too, especially is your a replacement already.. May not get that chance again.

Other issue could be his age and all the years of weight cutting just caught up and his body quit... or both.

Was disappointed he didn't make weight. No question. Yet knowing your not going to get the belt even if you win and then not being guaranteed a title shot if you do, I can't see a fighter taking that lightly. Something was up. Have a feeling the UFC Knew about it before, especially if it was injury related. Reasoning is Dana didn't go off about Yoel missing weight for a title fight , that's VERY Odd in itself. Secondly, Dana is giving Yoel the title shot next, even after missing weight. Again very odd.

Suspect Dana and the UFC Knew Yoel had some sort of injury and couldn't train enough to cut down and get in shape. Not wanting to lose the card made a deal with Yoel to fight and even if he misses he gets the shot. All while not saying shit to Luke. Just a thought

Shorter camp. Foreign country. Long flight.

He got punished for missing weight. He admitted to being unprofessional. Only missed by under 3lbs. Luke received a portion of his purse.

I am fine with his excuse. He paid his dues. If it happens again then you can get in a tizzy.

He had a fight with David Branch on Feb 24th
He changed opponents and had 28 days to prepare for Luke
Instead of fighting Feb 24th he fought Feb 10th.
So - mid camp, he switched opponents and fought two weeks earlier than he was originally supposed to.

Sounds like he took the fight on short notice to me.

ONLY a retard would turn it $255,000 at 80% and more to come vs Whittaker. Last time on a Fight night he got $66,000 for beating weidman he got $130,000. Not to mention all the shade u cuckold fans throw saying "yoel is soo terrified of Luke he turned down a TS"

But you some big shot probably throw away hundreds of thousands of dollars everyday.

So, you just stated his camp was cut shorter by a few weeks, and he had to lose an extra pound for the title fight. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this. He may be a lot of things, but he’s never missed weight and given the circumstances, it makes sense. Every day counts when it comes to cutting weight.
Hey Monsta, how much would Dana have to pay you to fight Yoel?

(Yes, I aware this is a dumb question.)

Cutting your camp by two weeks isn't that big of a deal at all, really. There are probably only rare cases where an extra two weeks of training would have made any real difference. He still had six weeks of training, it's not like he took the fight on two weeks notice or something. That would be a REAL short notice fight.

But it wasn't "a moments notice" it was over a month ago, and he was already scheduled for Branch. It has nothing to do with Luke's "chin" (another myth) but an alleged cheater trying to game the system.

It has nothing to do with Luke's chin?
How many loses does Luke have? 4. How many are T/KO? 4.
What does he have a notorious habit of doing? Fighting upright, head straight up, arms at his waist.
Who was he expected to fight? Robert Whittaker, known for almost nothing but his boxing, so he knew his boxing defense was going to have to be top notch. Who did he face instead? Romero, known for having one strike finishes.
What happened? Luke had his hands too low, again, and got tagged, again, and finished, again.
Luke was too drained from his weight cut? Maybe he should move up instead of trying to have a size advantage in fights. Moving up isn't an option? Maybe he should look into losing some muscle mass. Either way, trying to pass the loss off as a weight cut issue is asinine.

If he were a younger fighter I could understand that. But a forty year old, that already has a recent loss to the champ and kept getting passed over for a title shot by the previous champ?

But it wasn't "a moments notice" it was over a month ago, and he was already scheduled for Branch. It has nothing to do with Luke's "chin" (another myth) but an alleged cheater trying to game the system.

Nobody claimed that it was "a moment's notice." This is a bullshit strawman.

His timeline for fighting was thrown of for a couple of weeks and that affected his cut. That's a fact.

As far as gameplanning goes, both Rockhold and Romero had an equal amount of time to prepare for each other.

Back