Let's Debate: Does Ward make it into HOF over Wlad Klitschko in 2022?

Gun to my head, Ward over Wlad, but I don't think we'll have to pick

Wlad should but Ward will get in over him as he’s American

Also, didn't Toney retire this year?

Let's see who retired this year + fought this year and would be in the conversation:
Floyd, Ward, Wlad, and Toney.

Maybes are RJJ, Chocolatito, Cotto, Yamanaka, Ioka and Shiming (should be considered for his ammy accomplishments).

Bradley, Shane, Uchiyama and Marquez also retired this year, but since their last fight wasn't this year, they'll be in different classes.

Last edited:
Also, didn't Toney retire this year?

Let's see who retired this year + fought this year and would be in the conversation:
Floyd, Ward, Wlad, and Toney.

Maybes are RJJ, Chocolatito, Cotto, Yamanaka, Ioka and Shiming (should be considered for his ammy accomplishments).

Bradley, Uchiyama and Marquez also retired this year, but since their last fight wasn't this year, they'll be in different classes.

it doesn't matter when you announce, it's 5 years from your last fight.

Marquez's last fight was in 2014, so he'll be eligible for first ballot in 2019 class. James Toney last fight was 2017, but he hasn't really announced his retirement yet.

Shane, BHop's last fights were in 2016, so they'll be eligible in 2021.

I assume Pacquiao will fight again in 2018, which would make him eligible in 2023.

it doesn't matter when you announce, it's 5 years from your last fight.

Marquez's last fight was in 2014, so he'll be eligible for first ballot in 2019 class. James Toney last fight was 2017, but he hasn't really announced his retirement yet.

Shane, BHop's last fights were in 2016, so they'll be eligible in 2021.

I assume Pacquiao will fight again in 2018, which would make him eligible in 2023.
I think Pac fights through till 2019 actually. He said a four fight tour and I have the feeling that he'll be going through with it, though they'll prolly all be easy fights (maybe one last big fight).

That's messed up,.. but if he stays away from boxing, he can possibly regain ability.

Nonethless: Over 30 years of boxing, over 250 amateur fights and 60 pro fights. Plus he was one of the few who constantly boxed top competiton.
When it comes to brain injuries, you don't really get better, best case scenario he doesn't get worse

I think Pac fights through till 2019 actually. He said a four fight tour and I have the feeling that he'll be going through with it, though they'll prolly all be easy fights (maybe one last big fight).

I don't see Pac fighting past 2018. He says one thing, but his responsibilities plus his physical decline will convince him otherwise.

Wlad. They both are worthy but the older guys should get in first in this case when all is equal. Also everyone elevates heavyweights.

He's still in a ton of debt. I'd bet he's going to be the first high profile fighter with CTE. Either that or Shane

Seriously?! Oh man, that makes me so sad. Can someone just payoff his debts....i really don't want to see RJJ deteriorate. He still has a sharp mind.

I'm a bigger fan of Ward and Wlad, but between the two I think it's pretty easy to pick Wlad here.

Either way, though, if one of those four doesn't get in it's because of the rule and not because they don't deserve it. All of them belong there.

In 2017, Mayweather, Wlad and Ward announced their retirement. Also, there are rumors that Roy Jones Jr. will also announce his retirement. A fighter is eligible for the HOF on first ballot 5 years after their last fight. (Marquez will be inducted in 2019, so he's not part of this group).

With Mayweather, Wlad, Ward and RJJ potentially on the ballot, and only three fighters in the modern category are inducted every year, that leaves either Ward/ Klitschko as the odd man out.

Mayweather and RJJ are two locks, but the debate between Ward and Klitschko is an interesting one. Klitschko wasn't as good of a fighter as Ward was, he also suffered 5 losses, but he was more dominant for a much longer period of time and had a bigger impact globally than Ward had. Many of Klitschko's fights were massive events/sellouts and he participated In the biggest HW fights of his era. Despite his era not being the strongest in history.

Ward, as I mentioned, was a more complete boxer, undefeated two division world champion. But his career from 2012-2016 was a total waste imo. He only came onto the scene in 2011 when he beat Froch and won the Super Six. He also never participated in big events like Klitschko. The Kovalev fights both did around 125K ppv, and while they were good fights they were also controversial.

Personally I think Wlad deserves to make it over Ward.

What do you think?

It's 5 years from their retirement. Not last fight. Marquez will be part of this monster class.

A case can be made. More belts and memorable fights.

Yeah, I think his fame is what would put him over (and his KO win over Manny is more impressive than any single win Ward and Klitschko had). It's hard to fault the bigger guys for not fighting in as many weight classes, though. Wlad didn't have the option, and for Ward the jump from 168 to 175 is bigger than 130-135 etc. and the jump to cruiser weight is ridiculous.

Yeah, I think his fame is what would put him over (and his KO win over Manny is more impressive than any single win Ward and Klitschko had). It's hard to fault the bigger guys for not fighting in as many weight classes, though. Wlad didn't have the option, and for Ward the jump from 168 to 175 is bigger than 130-135 etc. and the jump to cruiser weight is ridiculous.
Tomaz Admek for HoF confirmed(but so was half life 3).
I know it sounds crazy, and I'd never agree to it.
HOWEVAH, every Bowe fan's heart jumped in joy when he beat the bloody piss out of Galota! To the point that anybody who edged out Admek's courpse was earning title shots at HW left and right, lol.

Tomaz Admek for HoF confirmed(but so was half life 3).
I know it sounds crazy, and I'd never agree to it.
HOWEVAH, every Bowe fan's heart jumped in joy when he beat the bloody piss out of Galota! To the point that anybody who edged out Admek's courpse was earning title shots at HW left and right, lol.

Okay, sure. Why not.

Back