Let's all be honest: Trump's "wall" is a colossal waste of money

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by IGotAHugePeckah, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Toothless King

Toothless King Brown Belt

I was deployed (as an Army National Guardman) in 2006-2007 in Operation Jump Start in Yuma sector to assist the Border Patrol to secure the border and built a fence. Yuma Sector at that time was overwhelmed with human & drug smuggling before the fence was built. We probably had at least 100+ seizures/arrests in one day, but seizures/arrests dropped down to 1-2 a day after the fence was put up.

Yeah, it was a flimsy 8-10 fence, not a wall.

2. JosephDredd

JosephDredd Gold Belt

His supporters seem to forget (ignore?) that years earlier even Republicans themselves had to admit that a wall wouldn't work when study after study proved it to be a ridiculous idea.

Then came the angry Trumptards who will support any idea that they themselves have gestated (with no knowledge of politics, history, economics, science or anything else).

Jopious Extronimous likes this.
  3. Pickle Rick

Pickle Rick Double Yellow Card

not to upset you but

they just started going where there wasnt a fence or made a hole in it...

also if the national guard was deployed for it .. that made it more of a 1 time detail (you werent posted there long time right) its the same thing police depts do for burg zones or when something bad happens... floood the area with presence, make a bunch of arrests and declare "victory"

but both know thats bs

AlphaBetaShark likes this.
  4. Toothless King

the fence my National Guard built in Yuma equipped with motion detector and video surveillance. It gives the BP enough time to respond to troubled area.

drug & human smuggling dropped 90% in Yuma Sector speaks for itself

waiguoren and oldshadow like this.
  5. Misfit23

Misfit23 Black Belt

Cut off their incentive to come here. And instead of having immigration agents raid 711's they should raid farms instead.

Edison Carasio and Pickle Rick like this.
  6. Pickle Rick

like i said (again not to offend) they just moved operations to another area... im glad yuma saw the drop but i seriously doubt it even slowed down overall crimes

7. wonderbread

wonderbread Stiff Member

Of course it is. But Trump has a problem admitting he’s wrong about anything, so he has to come up with a solution that will not make it look like a bad idea. And that it seems is a problem for him.

8. Pickle Rick

haha i saw that ice was hitting 7/11's and the first thing i could think of was
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jopious Extronimous

Jopious Extronimous Purple Belt

I honestly can't believe those numbers for a second unless you're gonna source them, because 100 a day to 2 a day is essentially eliminating the drug problem. Any area with that kind of instant success would have it's protocol change copied everywhere on the border instantly.

Also if we're being realistic, the reality of those numbers would suggest a failure to catch smugglers that were being caught. Because the idea that 98% of the people smuggling drugs decided not to when they saw the new fence is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I'm all for more fencing and more man-power down there, but until drugs stop coming here from Mexico in abundance, stories about 1 fence working great don't move me much. We know those drugs aren't being driven and walked over, so in what way is a wall gonna be a solution to that problem? Telling me a fence resulted in you guys catching less drug smugglers during a time where drugs were still coming here in abundance is just telling me fences don't work.

panamaican likes this.
  10. Toothless King

yeah, the smugglers/coyotes moved their operations to a less secure area on the border.

there was nothing (man made or natural obstacles) on Yuma's border before we put up that fence. the smugglers/coyotes transported their goods on donkeys, off-road vehicles, ATVs unimpeded.

waiguoren likes this.
  11. Toothless King

operation jump start

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jump_Start
    On 15 July 2008, Operation Jump Start came to an end. At its peak there were as many as 6,000 soldiers and airmen on the mission with more than 29,000 from every state and territory. During the operation:

• more than 176,000 undocumented aliens were apprehended
    • more than 1,100 vehicles seized
    • more than 321,000 pounds (146,000 kg) of marijuana and cocaine were seized
    • more than 28,000 hours of flight time were logged by National Guard pilots
    • more than 19 miles (31 km) of road, 38 miles (61 km) of fencing and 96 miles (154 km) of vehicle barriers were built
    • close to 720 miles (1,160 km) of road repaired.

mike sherry and waiguoren like this.
  12. Pickle Rick

i get it my brother in law works in border patrol and i have like 12 family members either active military or law enforcement... (im ret)
    im not opposed to a border fence... but i am opposed to building some cockimamie wall costing taxpayers billions

13. Jopious Extronimous

I was specifically talking about the location you were talking about, but you got it, I'm gonna assume your numbers about that location were totally accurate...

So now explain to me why the fence resulted in you guys catching 98% less smugglers than you had been.

14. Toothless King

the fence doesnt catch any smugglers in Yuma. Instead it reduced the numbers of seizures and arrests to 90% because smugglers had to move their ops to less secure area on the border

waiguoren likes this.
  15. Jopious Extronimous

....so you're admitting the fence did nothing? I'm confused here, what exactly is your position? Are you for the wall, against the wall? Right now all I'm hearing is reasons this fence resulted in you guys catching less drug smugglers.

Just to help out a bit, try to understand this: Catching 100 drug smugglers a day is good border security. Catching 2 a day is bad border security. If you went from catching 100 smugglers a day to just 2, you've become less effective, not more effective.

So what you're essentially telling me is that this specific fence was a disaster.

tonni likes this.
  16. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

Well that's part of the plan, to push them to areas that crossing is so hard that it will most likely kill them and still patrol that area by air.

17. Toothless King

What do you mean? The fence we built in Yuma did its job by prevent & deter smuggling operations in Yuma. Isn't that the whole point of having a fence/wall. Now the smugglers have to conduct their operations in a different area on the border where there is no wall or any natural obstacles.

AlphaBetaShark, waiguoren and Swing like this.
  18. tonni

tonni Black Belt

because you can't land a plane in a backyard

19. Letssnuggle

Letssnuggle Green Belt

Helicopter?

20. tonni

tonni Black Belt

<{hfved}>

IGotAHugePeckah likes this.