Lethwei: The Wild West of Kickboxing

Open weight Lethwei World Champion Dave Leduc himself came to our gym few months back. Picked up some good stuff from the seminar especially clinch work. The art of 9 limbs. It's the first time someone teaches me head butts as an actual technique. Great experience and good vibes all around.

View attachment 382051
Very nice!

Comrades shouldn't fight comrades as a philosophy killed all live training and competitive martial arts in China for decades. The government has eased up a bit in the modern era and things are coming back, but this was a direct historical casualty of the Mao regime.

Mao has a weird way of looking at things. Cuba, and Russia still kept their competitive edge. Imagine a country like China if they followed the same approach as Cuba and Russia for the last 70 years.

just the other day i was watching lethwei 2018, the skill level has seemed to improved quite a bit, it looked alot more like a bareknuckle MT fight, than alot of the wild sloppy lethwei you see.

Mao has a weird way of looking at things. Cuba, and Russia still kept their competitive edge. Imagine a country like China if they followed the same approach as Cuba and Russia for the last 70 years.

Mao was insane.

He also declared a pogrom on sparrows.

Turns out the sparrows were eating pests that ate crops, so killing the birds made the famine worse.

there is actually Lethwei from Japan on Fite.tv if anyone is looking for quality live streams.

there is actually Lethwei from Japan on Fite.tv if anyone is looking for quality live streams.

Was there where that brutal headbutt KO happened? Y'know the one where the poor Japanese dude's forehead got split open.

New Tun Tun Min fight uploaded this week, brutal fight:

Was there where that brutal headbutt KO happened? Y'know the one where the poor Japanese dude's forehead got split open.

Are you talking about this one:

Also, as we're talking about nasty headbutt KO's, I might as well post this one from a couple of months ago:

where are you getting this information from? Im not saying your wrong, just wondering where you got the info from?

Myanmar is a very poor country. Many people are still living in villages in the hills etc. Their gyms and training methods are very primitive/rural or olschool if you will. I would think lethwei, as with just about every combat sport on earth, is done primarily by the poor.

Even in Thailand, I believe the Lao minority that primarily occupy the professional MT ranks. I wonder if this situation has an equivalent in Burma or Cambodia even.

What's unfortunate is the way that the guys who DO like to do full-contact martial arts can get a bit smug about it and look down on those who don't. T

Well after all it is the epitome of martial arts and the fullest of themselves "smug" martial arts guys I have met were always TMA guys because no one pounded a sense of reality into them. The biggest trap for your character in ma is to live in an illusion about your own abilities and well thats hardly possible in full contact but the norm in many TMA gyms.

We have "grandmasters" in my country in tma without any skill at all but the smugness is 10x Chris Eubank sr. ;) If a full contact fighter feels he is superior to a point fighter it is simply because he is regarding MA.

Even in Thailand, I believe the Lao minority that primarily occupy the professional MT ranks. I wonder if this situation has an equivalent in Burma or Cambodia even.

im not sure exactly what you are saying but Lao, Cambodia, and Myanmar are much poorer countries than Thailand for sure.

im not sure exactly what you are saying but Lao, Cambodia, and Myanmar are much poorer countries than Thailand for sure.

In Thailand, the Lao practically have a province all to themselves, and I hear that most of the MT fighters actually hail from that province.

In Thailand, the Lao practically have a province all to themselves, and I hear that most of the MT fighters actually hail from that province.

I guess you're talking about Isaan, but Lao people only represent about a third of the population there so no they don't have a province all to themselves.

Are you talking about this one:

Also, as we're talking about nasty headbutt KO's, I might as well post this one from a couple of months ago:

that 2nd clip was beautiful. Was damn near a tutorial on how to use the headbutt, perfect technique, timing, range/distance, everything.

keep these headbutt cips coming guys, i want to see more!

Back