Lesser Known Gaming Systems

I got one of these off Amazon a few years back. I have all of the games they've released for it. But, I don't think they're releasing games for it anymore.

Also the Turbo Grafx 16 had a secret game in every console...

You had to hit U,R,D,L I II and you'd get....

BOMBERMAN :)

Seriously?

I got one of these off Amazon a few years back. I have all of the games they've released for it. But, I don't think they're releasing games for it anymore.

Also the Turbo Grafx 16 had a secret game in every console...

You had to hit U,R,D,L I II and you'd get....

BOMBERMAN :)

but you need the OG system

No, i mean, the bomberman thing.

100% absolutely true. I did it for a guy back when I was stationed in Germany. I subscribed to "Die Hard Gamefan" magazine and they did a spread on it.

I've been enjoying videos lately from some guy calling himself "The Gaming Historian." He goes pretty in depth on most topics, and has several vids going over the history of systems that I did not realize existed. Did anyone know there was a system released by Panasonic that played Game Cube games AND DVD's?

Or, does anyone remember the JVC X'Eye, which played Sega Genesis games, as well as games for Sega CD?

Then there were units that weren't licensed properties at all, but stand alone gaming systems altogether, such as 3DO, which was made by several companies.

When I was a young Bobby, I was a Nintendo kid, myself. I had friends who had Segas, and a few with old school Atari systems. I never knew anyone with expensive systems such as those in the videos above.

What were the systems you owned during the old days of gaming?

Did any of you actually own the expensive (especially for the time) units offered in the early/mid 90's?

And for those that had 3DO units, how did they stack up to the other top systems of the time?

Thanks, buds. I'm new here.

Nice.

I knew about the Panasonic system, although I couldn't even tell you the name OTTOMH, because my older brother and friends were home theater salesmen when they were going through college, and huge fans of Panasonic. For a while it seemed like Panasonic might become the new it company of Japan, but then...poof! All of that hype and profit went up in smoke because they invested so heavily in dominance over dead media (i.e. DVD/Blu-Ray players), and cheap Chinese upstarts dislodged them in the TV market by gaining brand familiarity through Wal-Mart (ex. Vizio). Also, people stopped caring about high quality audio systems for some reason. Generation of smartphone users seem obsessed with visual media, and don't care about audio quality. It's frustrating for someone like me.

I also knew about 3DO, mainly because Sega took a lot of money from me with their scam skill-impossible arcade games via the Neo-Geo (ex. Altered Beast), and the 3DO library tried to capitalize on bringing similar games to its console as a niche. Sega didn't want the console space intruding on their arcade profits, so that's why they weren't porting. Problem was it was too expensive, though, and I was a kid, so I never got my hands on it. I remember the Jaguar making a bigger hipster hype splash in the gaming mags with other kids when I was in middle school.

I don't recall that JVC unit.

Anyone have any weird accessories? I could probably start a separate thread on it, I'm last though.

Anyone have any weird accessories? I could probably start a separate thread on it, I'm last though.
I always wanted the Activator.

1400347-sega_activator_banner.jpg

And the Aura Interactor.

post-8713-0-23718100-1382668748.jpg

I guess the Handy Boy was the weirdest accessory I had.

Handy_Boy_Gameboy-739593.jpg

Sega Channel was basically a smaller scale version of Netflix, but with genesis games. It was essentially a coax cable modem (at a time when even dialup was exceptionally rare) that you plugged into your genesis and when you turned it on, you would have a simple interface with a list of a dozen themes, and when you selected a theme it would be a list of a dozen games (those amounts may be off, this was over 20 years ago so I dont remember exactly). The genres and games would rotate monthly, and you COULD save games if you didnt download a new one. (Although this was something most people didnt know about). There were even game demos of stuff that hadnt came out yet.

In all honesty I still to this day dont understand how it didnt make a bigger impact.. it was truly a glimpse into the future and many people (even hardcore gamers) never heard of it.
Iirc it was only available in a handful of places.

Iirc it was only available in a handful of places.

Ya, I was living in Ohio in 8th grade when I had it through Time Warner. I flew back to AZ for Christmas and when I told my friends about it (it wasnt available through Cox cable), they didnt believe me at first because it truly sounds like the kind of bullshit kids make up on the playground. Its like "No Jimmy, nobody believes that your rich Uncle worked for Nintendo and has every game ever made...

While not a system, I had a Sega Channel when I was a kid. Most people have never even heard of it, but it was amazing.

I also had a sega cd, which was a regretful request as it was awful.

You didn't enjoy Sewer Shark?

Or Night Trap?

Last edited:
Back