Lesser Known Gaming Systems

Sega Channel was basically a smaller scale version of Netflix, but with genesis games. It was essentially a coax cable modem (at a time when even dialup was exceptionally rare) that you plugged into your genesis and when you turned it on, you would have a simple interface with a list of a dozen themes, and when you selected a theme it would be a list of a dozen games (those amounts may be off, this was over 20 years ago so I dont remember exactly). The genres and games would rotate monthly, and you COULD save games if you didnt download a new one. (Although this was something most people didnt know about). There were even game demos of stuff that hadnt came out yet.

In all honesty I still to this day dont understand how it didnt make a bigger impact.. it was truly a glimpse into the future and many people (even hardcore gamers) never heard of it.
Seems to be a precursor to Xbox Live in a lot of ways. Ahead of its time.

Seems to be a precursor to Xbox Live in a lot of ways. Ahead of its time.
There was also XBand.

5584063170_2b3b38962d_b.jpg

3do was pretty cool to me. i enjoyed super street fighter 2 turbo, samurai shodown, the horde, themepark, wing commander, star control 2, and return fire were my goto games. it didn't really stack up to anything when it was released, it as kind of it's own thing, or at least an idea of what the future of gaming would be (it wasn't). nevertheless i enjoyed my time with the 3do when it was newish.

I remember drooling over the Gex demo on the 3DO at the store. Luckily Crystal Dynamics games ended up getting ported. They were good game developers

I still have my 3do. Super underrated system IMO. Internal storage, a few games on par with early ps1 games, a few real gems on the system if you can find them in the heap of shit games that were released on it.

Blade Force really showed what the system was capable of.

Need For Speed and Road Rash are awesome on it. Road Rash really takes me back the my teen years in the 90's with the grunge and the fmv scenes in it.

Road rash 3do is the best version of that game. I loved the soundtrack and the feel of the game. Need for speed was cool but the menus needed an overhaul.

I had a TG16 as a kid growing up in Germany. I remember my parents buying it at clearance at a tent sale the PX would have every now and then. I played the shit out of Bonk's Adventure and Keith Courage. There was also a hockey game i enjoyed as well.

I had a TG16 as a kid growing up in Germany. I remember my parents buying it at clearance at a tent sale the PX would have every now and then. I played the shit out of Bonk's Adventure and Keith Courage. There was also a hockey game i enjoyed as well.

Tv sports - ( hockey, football etcc. )

That was there equivalent to EA and really good too.

Or, does anyone remember the JVC X'Eye, which played Sega Genesis games, as well as games for Sega CD?

I had a couple of these over the years. So much better than the sega CD. I don't have any old school consoles any more but that was a memorable one. Can't remember where I found it, maybe someplace random like at SEARS, haha...

I always wanted a NEO GEO. Maybe I'll get an arcade mutigame machine some day. IIRC the arcade carts are way cheaper than the home console ones.

I always wanted a NEO GEO. Maybe I'll get an arcade mutigame machine some day. IIRC the arcade carts are way cheaper than the home console ones.
Are you referring to the one that had Samurai Showdown?

Are you referring to the one that had Samurai Showdown?

Yeah, most commonly found with four games to choose from, usually had magician lord, ninja combat, baseball stars, sengoku, nam 1975, etc. And later samurai shodown 1-4, fatal fury, and metal slug 1-3. The arcade owner could buy new cartridges to install in the arcade machine to change the choices.

i can point you in the direction of a few true american ones.

Probably. Got it at toys r us and continued to shop there. I am actually thinking about a shitty game on the system amd the closest I can come to is Keith Courage.

Bonk was a good game.

The underworld levels in Keith Courage were cool even though they were a little repetitive. Bonk's Revenge is one of my favorite TurboGrafx 16 games. JJ and Jeff is a good game, but really hard to beat.

Last edited:

I got one of these off Amazon a few years back. I have all of the games they've released for it. But, I don't think they're releasing games for it anymore.

Also the Turbo Grafx 16 had a secret game in every console...

You had to hit U,R,D,L I II and you'd get....

BOMBERMAN :)

Back